Chadiha: Anonymous GM on Tannehill

Jamalisms

Mariota and Tannehill do not belong in the same conversation.

That said, I told everybody on this board he Mariota was horrible.  @oldschool was one of the first one mad at me.  He was still arguing with me in December of 2018.  Inept is what Mariota was.  He threw passes into the ground.  He threw passes six feet over wr heads.  He tried to make a tackle headfirst in a PS game.  He ran around in a circle like a chicken in the backfield to avoid the rush.

ANYBODY who watched him play and was still in love with him has no ability to watch a game and see whether it's good play or bad.  

Now two years later, they get all huffed up claiming football superiority.  I really don't know what you can say to someone like that.  They had stats too.

To try to deny it now is childish.  

You bring it on yourself-You are superior to no one.

Edited by Number9

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not only does this sound exactly right in that, if he gets on a hot streak, he's good enough to win a Super Bowl with, it's also exactly right that he is a product of his surroundings and he is not an

We literally have nothing surrounding him right now 

I'm just shocked that Tannehill isn't lighting it up throwing to the 4th-7th receivers on the team behind the 27th ranked pass blocking unit!

Posted Images

23 hours ago, RisingTitanFan said:

I think your overall assessment of him is fair, but I think you might be a little off on how his skill set plays out.  He absolutely can make WRs look better.  He has great touch and amazingly puts difficult throws into the breadbasket.  Some of his throws feel like they damn near catch themselves.  

What he DOESN'T do is make an offensive line look better.  His weaknesses from his time in Miami is the same as they are now.  Given time he processes information extremely well, just not fast.  He is probably average to even slightly below average in this aspect.  In my opinion the one thing Brady does at an elite level is processing speed, the guy knows how to hurt a defense by the time he is done with his 2 stop drop.  Tannehill is also average when it comes to feeling out pressure, it takes a split second too long to make the call to run and he will give up a couple extra sacks a year cause of this. 

You can't look at Tannehill as a black or white scenario "is he elite or not elite" (at least not successfully).  You have to look at it as a return on investment type of scenario.  If you invest in a good pass protecting offensive line, you get an elite QB.  If you don't his output level drops quicker then an average QB does.  All QB drop in this regard, but thanks to the weaknesses I stated earlier he takes a larger plunge then others.  

As a comparison take a Russel Wilson vs Tannehill scenario: 

Strength of Offensive line       Russel Wilson       Tannehill

bad offensive line:                        Bad                       Awful

below average offensive line      Decent                 Bad

Average offensive line                  borderline Elite   Really Good

Good offensive line                        Elite                      Elite

Great Offensive line                       Elite                      Elite

As someone that has watched Tannehill for his entire Career, I can assure you the Dolphins had never put an offensive line in front of him that was any higher than average.  We got glimpses of the potential elite level play, but never saw it in any sustainable form.  You guys were able to give him pass protection that was good the last couple of years.  Some of the quality offensive line was generated by a dedicated run game and good coaching, but in generic terms the protection still fell into the good category. 

When Henry went down I really hoped the front office was going to go out and salvage the season with a few offensive line moves, when that didn't happen I was worried that what you were seeing from Tannehill was going to stay the same or in a worse case scenario get even worse.  

That doesn't mean that the offensive line can't get their act together, or with a healthier team you can't coach to avoid Tannehill's weaknesses, but Tannehill needs help to get back to what he was the last couple of years.  He isn't going to stroll out on that field and give you a solid Aaron Rodgers imitation with the current level of play surrounding him on the field.  

This was really good.  Keep posting.

12 hours ago, StephenIsLegend said:

This was really good.  Keep posting.

It’s a solid middle ground to work off of at the least. I agree with him that poor blocking affects him more than others. It’s become noticeable at times this year where he is refusing to step into the pocket and it’s leading to a lot of bad outcomes. He’s missing extra time on his reads because of his unwillingness to step into a muddy pocket.