Best Modern Day Western.

TitansFan23

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair enough.  I think Tombstone may be a more entertaining movie.

If it did it would go straight to #1 but no it doesn't count.    I was thinking more of "No Country for Old Men"

Internet searching turned up Django Unchained, which I wouldn’t have considered.

I'd go with (past 30 years)...

Unforgiven

3:10 to Yuma

Dead Man

True Grit

The Quick and the Dead

Tombstone

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I haven't seen Django Unchained or The Hateful Eight (which I fully intend to rectify!) so can't include those.  And No Country definitely has that feel to it but I don't think it can really be called a Western.

Since in the modern Western genre, I will throw in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.  Great film for Tommy Lee Jones fans, as was his directorial debut and he starred in it as well.  Very well reviewed but under watched.

44 minutes ago, CharrdWood said:

I haven't seen Django Unchained or The Hateful Eight (which I fully intend to rectify!) so can't include those.  And No Country definitely has that feel to it but I don't think it can really be called a Western.

You def have to see the two Tarantino films, both are good. 

The only reason I might include "No Country" is because we're talking "current westerns, which might include current times(I believe it was suppose to have taken place in 81 or so. 

Also I hope you're talking about the recent "True Grit" by the Cohen brothers which is far superior to the John Wayne version. That's a really good movie. 

9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

You def have to see the two Tarantino films, both are good. 

The only reason I might include "No Country" is because we're talking "current westerns, which might include current times(I believe it was suppose to have taken place in 81 or so. 

Also I hope you're talking about the recent "True Grit" by the Cohen brothers which is far superior to the John Wayne version. That's a really good movie. 

Of COURSE the Coen Brothers version, I really can't stand John Wayne.

I've seen everything else by Tarantino, including seeing Reservoir Dogs in the theater opening weekend with about 4 other people 'cuz nobody had ever heard of Tarantino at that point!  It's amazing I haven't seen Hateful Eight, I'm a big Kurt Russell fan.

48 minutes ago, chef said:

Since in the modern Western genre, I will throw in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.  Great film for Tommy Lee Jones fans, as was his directorial debut and he starred in it as well.  Very well reviewed but under watched.

I'll have to check this out, looked it up, seems interesting.

50 minutes ago, CharrdWood said:

Of COURSE the Coen Brothers version, I really can't stand John Wayne.

I've seen everything else by Tarantino, including seeing Reservoir Dogs in the theater opening weekend with about 4 other people 'cuz nobody had ever heard of Tarantino at that point!  It's amazing I haven't seen Hateful Eight, I'm a big Kurt Russell fan.

Oh man we're def on the same page, John Wayne was terrible. 

And you'd love Kurt Russell in the Hateful 8 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

If you consider The Revenant a western...

Really depends on what your definition of a "Western" is. I'd classify all Tarantino as Western. 

No way.  Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs and  Jackie Brown aren't westerns at all

I'm not sure I'd consider No Country for Old Men one either.  It's a neo noir set in the West.  

51 minutes ago, rns90 said:

No way.  Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs and  Jackie Brown aren't westerns at all

I'm not sure I'd consider No Country for Old Men one either.  It's a neo noir set in the West.  

Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill could definitely fit if you look at it from an abstract point of view. QT has even mentioned this. Check out this article about modern western vs western:

Modern Western movies include:

Hyper Violence

The movie is set close to when the film comes out.

Old West mentality and its Progression in 21st century

Displaced in modern society

The search for justice.

https://usa.inquirer.net/76981/best-modern-western-movies-to-watch

34 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill could definitely fit if you look at it from an abstract point of view. QT has even mentioned this. Check out this article about modern western vs western:

Not that you're wrong but I think Kill Bill is a revenge flick set in th 21st century.  I find it hard to consider it a western when you have that entire Asian infleunced ending of the first film.  That being said whenever you see any shootouts at the end of some action movie it's always derived from the classic Western "duel".

5 hours ago, rns90 said:

I might classify No Country for Old Men a MODERN western. I believe it takes place in like 83 but remember they go out to the crime scene on horse back and in the final scene his cousin tells him about the Indians killing their great uncle. Those guys are Cowboys in modern times. 

One of the best scenes in movie history: