Best Modern Day Western.

TitansFan23

#1. Tombstone

#2 Unforgiven

#3 Open Range

Modern Day: The last 25 years. Not the spaghetti westerns with Clint or the earlier years with Wayne.

Hateful 8 and Remake of the Magnificent 7 are 4 and 5

Edited by TitansFan23

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair enough.  I think Tombstone may be a more entertaining movie.

If it did it would go straight to #1 but no it doesn't count.    I was thinking more of "No Country for Old Men"

Internet searching turned up Django Unchained, which I wouldn’t have considered.

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

I'd put Unforgiven at #1 only because it's sort of revisionist and deserves credit for that.

It won Academy Awards… it’s right up there. Tombstone was just all around an awesome movie. Costner back then loved his 3 hour movies. Dances With Wolves, which was great, got him into the long movies which mostly bombed. Wyatt Earp in my opinion was nowhere near as good as Tombstone. Unforgiven is an academy award classic, but I stand with Tombstone…

Unforgiven is probably the best modern day western. Lots of deep symbolism(“deserves got nothing to do with it.”)

Tombstone is a cheesier more entertaining movie with some good quotes. Kilmer should have at least been nominated

A lesser known older western I like is "Hombre" with Paul Newman. Even older is "Shane"

7 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Unforgiven is probably the best modern day western. Lots of deep symbolism(“deserves got nothing to do with it.”)

A lesser known older western I like is "Hombre" with Paul Newman. Even older is "Shane"

The Clint Eastwood character even has a great name:  William Munny!

Isn’t Shane pretty well known though, it almost always comes up on list of greatest westerns?  I always remember the end where the little kid yells: Come back Shane!

oh, I don’t think this next film is that great but I found it interesting:  Quick and the Dead.

4 minutes ago, rns90 said:

The Clint Eastwood character even has a great name:  William Munny!

Isn’t Shane pretty well known though, it almost always comes up on list of greatest westerns?  I always remember the end where the little kid yells: Come back Shane!

oh, I don’t think this next film is that great but I found it interesting:  Quick and the Dead.

Yeah Shane is an all time classic.

Unforgiven contemporary tops in terms of quality and reinventing the Western for modern (at the time) Hollywood.