SPOILER Wars: The Last Jedi

Starkiller

How many of these fans who hate TLJ happen to like the Prequels? It's not a perfect overlap, but I've been shocked to see some criticize TLJ heavily, but say that Revenge of the Sith is one of their favorite Star Wars movies.

If Jar Jar Binks didn't kill Star Wars, it's hard to imagine that anything could.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want to point out that wanting more explanation for certain sequel characters now, is different than not getting explanation in the original trilogy.   Of course you have to be okay with c

The whole movie was about flipping expectations and turning the world on it's head while passing it off to a new generation.   Set up a scenario where you think this small band of heroes (Fi

My biggest gripes were not only the “nothingness” of the Snoke/Rey backstories but also Super-Leia out of nowhere and portraying Luke as a coward.  

30 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

How many of these fans who hate TLJ happen to like the Prequels? It's not a perfect overlap, but I've been shocked to see some criticize TLJ heavily, but say that Revenge of the Sith is one of their favorite Star Wars movies.

Or the originals for that matter, it still is completely mind-blowing how people dismiss any newer movie because camp and hokeyness but praise everything about the OT.

Exactly, Cyrus and wiscotitansfan. Revenge of the Sith was exciting on first viewing, but it got worse with age. And there are true cringe-inducing lines in that movie, although not as bad as the first two. The worst was how they fucked up the entire conversion of Annakin to the dark side - you know, the ENTIRE POINT OF THE THREE MOVIE STORY ARC. It was just laughable and totally unbelievable, and the lines and acting were horrendous during that crucial scene. There was some stuff and scenes that really worked in Revenge of the Sith, and overall I have to say I like it, but it was just an unforgivable sin to screw up the main scene where Anakin turns.

1 hour ago, Cyrus said:

Both were bad in very different ways. 

4 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Both were bad in very different ways. 

We’ll see how TLJ ages. I agree with criticism of Canto Bight and some pacing here and there. I’d put Empire above it, but it might be #2 for me.

After re-watching Return of the Jedi, it came across as far more awkward and campy then I remember it. Some really great moments but Lucas really leaned into the Ewoks far too much and Jabbas palace was awkward in places. (The musical number...yikes). 

Point being, there’s plenty of nitpicking to go around. If Force Lightning was introduced in the new trilogy, how would it have been received? Palpatine goes out far too easily in that sequence too, especially given how he dehabilitates Luke with ease. But we had clarity about who the movie was about (Luke and Vader, not Palpatine). That’s why I don’t mind Snoke being killed in TLJ, the story just isn’t about him.

14 hours ago, Cyrus said:

We’ll see how TLJ ages. I agree with criticism of Canto Bight and some pacing here and there. I’d put Empire above it, but it might be #2 for me.

After re-watching Return of the Jedi, it came across as far more awkward and campy then I remember it. Some really great moments but Lucas really leaned into the Ewoks far too much and Jabbas palace was awkward in places. (The musical number...yikes). 

Point being, there’s plenty of nitpicking to go around. If Force Lightning was introduced in the new trilogy, how would it have been received? Palpatine goes out far too easily in that sequence too, especially given how he dehabilitates Luke with ease. But we had clarity about who the movie was about (Luke and Vader, not Palpatine). That’s why I don’t mind Snoke being killed in TLJ, the story just isn’t about him.

I'd have to watch TLJ again, but I initially, in my mind, put it among the best Star Wars movies. Empire Strikes Back the best obviously. And I love Episodes 4 and 6 especially for pure storytelling. But yeah, when you start talking about the elements that make a movie good, there really are some huge and glaring flaws in episodes 4 and 6. They really are kind of a mess at times. But I would put TLJ and Rogue One right up there as two of the very best. Rogue One was better directed and just overall tighter, but then it didn't have to accomplish near the amount that TLJ did. To each his own, but I thought those were great, and the Force Awakens, as well.

Whoever made the point that, if we didn't lose fans after the prequels, then nothing will, is right. I don't think Solo is a sign of anger as much as a sign with bad press and multiple directors, etc. And maybe a little burnout.

5 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

But I would put TLJ and Rogue One right up there as two of the very best. Rogue One was better directed and just overall tighter, but then it didn't have to accomplish near the amount that TLJ did. To each his own, but I thoughught those were great, and the Force Awakens, as well.

It is amazing how Rogue One is so underrated but you pretty much cannot find a single person who didn't like it.

I never thought about how it never actually had to tell much of a story being a contributing factor for it. The only thing it really had to tell was HOW they got the plans to the rebels. Even if they just went with the idea that it was an exaust port for a big ass power source it would have sufficed probably. Wouldn't have had the emotion involved obviously but it still could have worked.

4 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

It is amazing how Rogue One is so underrated but you pretty much cannot find a single person who didn't like it.

I never thought about how it never actually had to tell much of a story being a contributing factor for it. The only thing it really had to tell was HOW they got the plans to the rebels. Even if they just went with the idea that it was an exaust port for a big ass power source it would have sufficed probably. Wouldn't have had the emotion involved obviously but it still could have worked.

Rogue One was solid in its own right but it makes A New Hope that much better. It answers the “why would this monumental space station have such a critical flaw” in a pretty elegant way. It may be above ROTJ for me. (But below A New Hope).

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

Damn Cyrus your movie taste may be the worst ive ever seen.

Uh huh. Feel free to look up other critics Star Wars rankings if you please. “The Last Jedi ruined everything” fan club is smaller than you think. 

27 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

It may be above ROTJ for me. (But below A New Hope).

Not sure of my order TBH but I don't think A New Hope is in the top half besides being the catalyst of it all and the plot. Rogue One is easily one of the top 3 for me and probably higher.