abenjami

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jfc are you a boomer? Here...    

This is one of the problems.... It could go higher for much longer and/or when you get in it could go lower much longer..... You have to guess right twice

Way back when Bush was president he signed this https://theweek.com/articles/767184/how-george-bush-broke-post-office   Around the same time my house flooded, home insurance doesn't cover fl

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, OilerTitanHybrid said:

SPX only went down about 15 points under where it opened.  Have to wait for next week to see if we eat market dumplings.

SPX/SPY/VOO are holding a bit stronger than the rest of the market in general.  DJIA dropped over 4% today and a lot of individual stocks took a bath.

1 minute ago, abenjami said:

SPX/SPY/VOO are holding a bit stronger than the rest of the market in general.  DJIA dropped over 4% today and a lot of individual stocks took a bath.

Still though, the SPX, NASDAQ, Russell2000 had best week since 2009.  This pos will have to dump better than this next week for real dumplings!

53 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Panic may make people buy more than to hold onto their money too. i dunno. ive certaintly spent money during this

We just crossed 100k cases in the USA. This projects out to ~400-500k cases next Friday or ~2M the following Friday.

I am not sure if the current trends will hold. However, I am pretty sure we can get to the 400k number because that only gets us to around where Italy currently is on cases per person basis.

I don't think the market can defy the gravity of the upcoming numbers; however, with the Fed going nuts it truly is an unknown what happens next in the short run.

Edited by ChemEngr79

3 minutes ago, OilerTitanHybrid said:

Why did Jamal delete a post I had earlier in another thread?  Because it was replying to one of Jake's posts?

I'm not 100% sure but yes. I think when the account is deleted so are the posts replying with quotes. 

17 minutes ago, OilerTitanHybrid said:

Heard earlier today that on a drop like this one, there's usually a 70%/30% chance that it will retest the low, or either go a bit lower than the last low, before finishing the bottom and rising.  Guess we'll see how it goes...

I heard that same thing a few times in some investment podcasts. I'm guessing I'll buy next Weds or Thursday,  it usually takes the 2nd or 3rd to get all the dividend payments. 

I'd love to get a new low by then but I'm going to stay on my same schedule regardless but with all the OT, the fact that you can't really spend money right now and the dividends I'll be dropping mucho deniro in. 

Check this out, dollar cost averaging during the great depression, which applies to this drop.

https://www.begintoinvest.com/the-concept-of-dollar-cost-averaging/

During mid 1929, the stock market was at an all time high, and for the first time really attracting individual investors.

This investor purchases $10,000 into a broad based stock index fund in September 1929 (they didn’t exist in 1929, but lets pretend), just one month before the beginning of the great depression and the worst decade of U.S. stock performance in history.

The market would drop by nearly 90%. This investor’s initial $10,000 investment would be worth a little over $1,000 at the bottom.

10 years later in 1939, their investment would have still only been worth about $7,200. In fact, they would have had to wait 25 years (1954) for the value of their investment to get back to $10,000!

Dollar Cost Averaging

Consider someone in 1929 who invested $100 a month into that same stock index starting in 1929 for the next 10 years. This investor invested $100 whether the market was up 10% or down 90%. In fact, this investor would have had to have some guts to continue to buy the stock market all the way down. But it would pay off:

By 1939 this investor’s investment would have been worth more than $15,000! A gain of $5,000! (Remember the original investor’s investment was worth only $7,200, still -30% or so, at this time.)

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Check this out, dollar cost averaging during the great depression, which applies to this drop.

https://www.begintoinvest.com/the-concept-of-dollar-cost-averaging/

During mid 1929, the stock market was at an all time high, and for the first time really attracting individual investors.

This investor purchases $10,000 into a broad based stock index fund in September 1929 (they didn’t exist in 1929, but lets pretend), just one month before the beginning of the great depression and the worst decade of U.S. stock performance in history.

The market would drop by nearly 90%. This investor’s initial $10,000 investment would be worth a little over $1,000 at the bottom.

10 years later in 1939, their investment would have still only been worth about $7,200. In fact, they would have had to wait 25 years (1954) for the value of their investment to get back to $10,000!

Dollar Cost Averaging

Consider someone in 1929 who invested $100 a month into that same stock index starting in 1929 for the next 10 years. This investor invested $100 whether the market was up 10% or down 90%. In fact, this investor would have had to have some guts to continue to buy the stock market all the way down. But it would pay off:

By 1939 this investor’s investment would have been worth more than $15,000! A gain of $5,000! (Remember the original investor’s investment was worth only $7,200, still -30% or so, at this time.)

The first example is why I have already won.