Titans to interview Mike Vrabel for HC job

AussieTitanFan08

2 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

if JRob believes DeFilippo is the best qualified person the fix Mariota he needs to make him HC and let them have a few years together to grow.

appointing Vrabel or Wilks and having DeFilippo as a short term (1yr) OC doesn't help Mariota having to learn yet another system for 2019.

Disagree on the first bit, but your concern is very real on the second bit. Definitely a problem. 

I think you hire a head coach to lead your football team. Not a QB guru to fix Mariota. That's the QB coach/OC's job imo

Now, if you can find a guy that can do both very well, then ok. But that's very very rare and imo more likely to fail.

Edited by tgo

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think people fundamentally misunderstand the role of head coach. Or at least what it should be. Piggybacking off of my earlier CEO analogy, let’s really think about what the job entails:  

In Russia?

Yeah, now, I definitely don't want DeFilippo and his molestation baggage.

Posted Images

His personality is definitely a concern, but he's an experienced OC (8 seasons) who's been successful in multiple stops. PIT was a top 5 offense this season in many major categories and have been top 5-10 level since he's been there.

He does things I think a lot of us will like. PIT ran 76% of their plays this season in shotgun. It'd be way more shotgun with him. He's more pass happy. And he feeds his best players. Guys like Brown, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Bell, etc have put up their best numbers with him as OC. I think Corey could make a huge 2nd year jump with a guy like Haley as OC. He will make it more of a priority to get Davis involved. I never felt like Davis was much apart of the gameplan at all this year. It wouldn't surprised me if that was one among many things that irked JR.

I know it's not as exciting, but if you're looking at stability for OC/DC guys like Haley, Jack Del Rio, Mike McCoy, etc are out there. And they're experienced guys who've been successful coordinators, but still relatively young enough that they're not going to be in the retirement home soon. McCoy is 45. Haley 50. Del Rio 54.

Edited by socaltitan

Tomlin’s coordinators magically fall on the sword when the team underperforms. The benefit of a Haley, and I’m not 100% in support of him, is he is never likely getting another HC job, his offense works and Marcus wouldn’t be changing systems or coaches in another year or two in most likelihood. 

Edited by AvgJoe

1 hour ago, tgo said:

Disagree on the first bit, but your concern is very real on the second bit. Definitely a problem. 

I think you hire a head coach to lead your football team. Not a QB guru to fix Mariota. That's the QB coach/OC's job imo

Now, if you can find a guy that can do both very well, then ok. But that's very very rare and imo more likely to fail.

This is why I'm fine with Vrabel as long as he can put together a solid staff.

The HC is a leader, a spokesman, game manager, and an approver of gameplans.

The staff is where the dirty work is actually done and that's why some guys are great OC but bomb as HC or maybe they weren't great coordinators or even never were coordinators but can come in and have a lot of success.