Sylvester Williams/Phillip Supernaw contracts

Can you imagine Allen and Taco with this DL already?  WOW.  Single blocking even into the rotation.........that would be crazy nice to see again.  Sustaining drives into that would be difficult.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not surprising and I'm not worried about the contract. Considering we were in the Williams discussions (he would have cost more) and Hankins wants $10 million per year, we did just fine.

Denver wanted him back. He's probably underrated as a signing.

Just 80-90% of them

24 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

It comes across to me that it's ok to overpay for average players but not pay an appropriate contract for an actual difference maker.

That's how it seems and really what TEN has always been about, different regime or not. 

Cyprien probably got more than he deserves as well. I'd really like to know who else reached out to him and what he was offered.

People mention how we won't get Adams because we signed Cyprien to a nice contract on day 1 of FA. But I haven't seen anyone ponder why that is. Maybe, just maybe TEN blew everyone else's offer out of the water because they overpaid...

I think that your interpretation is entirely wrong. When players are getting $30 million guaranteed on deals for past performance, that's where teams make mistakes. Williams signed a deal IMO that could turn out to be a Delanie Walker type signing where we are paying a reasonable price for future production. That's what smart teams do. 

And as far as Cyprien goes two things: 

1) It is not a guarantee Adams is on the board when we pick. So you wanted them to wait and not have a FA plan and then we haven't fixed the SS position?

2) Adams may not be that much of a priority for Robinson and he wanted to go a different way at 5. Unlike Webster, he doesn't just say "Oh I need a Safety, so a Safety is the pick at 5." Robinson is prepared to go BPA and his moves to fix the defense show that. 

Edited by AvgJoe

2 hours ago, Bongo59 said:

This is why Taco seems like a fit here.  

Taco has the prototype body but he's just too much of a projection for me. He was a no show until this year & he wasn't even that dominant this year.

But he looks exactly like you want an edge rusher to look & that's what you'd be betting on.

26 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

It sounds like you agree he was worth it then...

A lot believe Hooker is a top 10 player and I HIGHLY doubt both him and Adams are gone at 5. Both are poised to be much better than Cyprien and would have been cheaper over the next 4 years.

And to your 2nd point, he WILL be drafting a position of need. Whether it's WR, TE, ILB, DL. He will be doing exactly what you just said he wouldn't. "Taking a S or whatever position" because he needs one.

We do need a better WR. We do need a better ILB. We still need a better, more reliable 2nd CB. There are still needs all over the place. Obviously some of greater importance. But to think the player we pick at 5 or wherever we end up won't be a need is wrong.

It would be no different if he signed Jeffery and not Cyprien. The need of a WR would have flipped to S.

He is still in a position of taking BPA that aligns with team need.

I agree that Williams got a fair deal compared to the market, yes. And for Cyprien, he came on last year and many agree will be an excellent fit for LeBeau's defense. Not sure why picking him up is something you dispute.

You seem to be upset that we aren't the Champions of Spending Money in March. But let me ask, how many times have the Redskins, Eagles, or Jaguars hoisted the Lombardi in February? 

I'll ask, who exactly is the key difference maker you wish they would have signed? Campbell who is over 30 already? Hightower who so clearly was going back to the Pats hat other teams didn't seriously pursue? Bouye who had one great year and cashed in? Jeffery who is so untrustworthy because of weight and substance issues that he got a 1 year deal? Exactly who is it that we missed out on?

If so then they could still take a S who is there at 5.......but it is becoming clear to me that a DL is going to be there we might not have expected and it will be interesting to see what JRob values with respect to his bias and this rosters needs. I still think Foster is a possibility.  

5 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

I bet there's a nice gap between your guess and the actual number.

Considering the average NFL career is around 3 years I was likely too kind