Episode 29 - Call It A Pilot

TitansGuru

That'd be something at least. I appreciate good intellectual discussion over emotional ranting.

Any show directly after a loss will be "Get your pitchforks ready!"

I think you underestimate just how right I am at all times.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Tuesday it is starting to become old news. Anyways, check it out if we decide to do it like that and just catch the Weds/Thurs show if it isn't your thing. It should make for a shorter show which m

Listening now. Locker didn't get injured by his own lineman. He got injured b/c as he was throwing the guy down he threw his left arm out to catch himself and jammed his shoulder. Nate got b

This show would work really well with audience participation right after the game. Audience call ins, streaming, and live chat. I haven't brought this up to @Jamalisms and @Jonboy yet but I think it w

@Jamalisms

The one thing I would ask regarding Palmer is this: What would you change regarding Palmer's playcalling? Is it more counter plays? (From what I know, Palmer's offense doesn't use these much at all). Personally I'd like to see more crack blocks from the WRs. (Not really viable until we have Britt back).

I just don't get the criticism. What's obvious about running on 3rd and 2 with 3 WRs and your TE flexed out? The Titans ran several bootlegs early out of run formations to show different looks. The Titans ran out of shotgun formation with Reynaud and CJ in the backfield. They ran the option fake. They used three tight ends.

I don't think it's fair to say that if you rush the ball out of base formations that you're being too predictable. It has to, at some point, be a viable option when used with a variety of formations.

For what it's worth the Titans ran the ball 3 times out of a base formation for 4 yards. (5, 2, -3). That's it. They ran out of an run heavy package once (2 TE 2 RB) only once. They ran out of a 3 TE 1 RB 1 WR package twice.

I honestly don't think I have enough knowledge to truly diagnose those things. I'd like less predictability. I'd like to incorporate some of the things CJ has done well at before. I think execution is poor from all parties.... but I tend to think most fans don't really know what should change so I'm not of the type who will create my own personal roadmap to run game recovery. That's just me and it may change with All-22, given time for fans to begin truly studying film. That's one of the reasons I'm excited about it coming out tomorrow.

I will say, however, that if I'm ever in a room full of people who drink punch and die... I don't suspect I'll be trying to figure out if a little sugar makes it less lethal.

My thing is, I don't have any hesitation calling a turd a turd... and run games under Palmer tend to be turds. That doesn't mean he is bad at what he does. As I said, it's a passing league and even looking at his history this can't be all on him because this is far worse than even his poor record shows. I could totally accept a mediocre run game paired with a really good pass game... and I still think/hope he can bring that.

... I think we all can and should admit what his history indicates. Just put it on the table and deal with it. It isn't the end of the world.

Then rewatch the game and do it on Tuesday imo but again, I'm probably in the minority here. Most will probably love the idea.

You are in the minority. This sounds like an excellent idea to bring out the true emotion with the game (good or bad) and I myself will definitly listen to more podcasts right after the game. No one likes stale game recaps from Sunday on Thursday, except maybe @reo.

More than almost anyone else on this board Jamal, you tend to value context so I'm surprised that you point to Palmer's history as an indication of anything significant especially since on two different teams the run game improved over time (Texans, Jaguars).

My take on the Titans run game is this: The offensive line is inconsistent and Chris Johnson has almost no chemistry with the blockers (doesn't trust blockers, doesn't have timing). I might put that on the RB coach and on OL Coach Matthews, I don't think I could put that on Palmer. At least yet, his past is irrelevant for better or worse. The plays and packages he dialed up, particularly early, all had a good chance of success if the right read is made or a blocker doesn't miss an assignment.

@Cyrus I appreciate that you can recognize that about me. I agree.

Context and intent are two of the most underrated pieces of human existence in terms of actually providing true insight and meaning behind actions and the results thereof. Context is, however, limited when there are near infinite interrelated factors (as is the case for a run game over the course of a season). It's still valuable, but given enough tries, a picture is painted that superceeds potentially excuse-ridden context.

I look at Palmer's run game history and see a picture painted that a good run game just isn't his thing... and I still think such an offense is fine under the right circumstances.

You are in the minority. This sounds like an excellent idea to bring out the true emotion with the game (good or bad) and I myself will definitly listen to more podcasts right after the game. No one likes stale game recaps from Sunday on Thursday, except maybe @reo.

I know i'm in the minority.

and you don't have to @ someone when you quote them.

Yeah, one thing about that quote I posted on the first page... Munch didn't talk about Mouton getting in over Campbell. He talked about Verner getting played outside over Campbell. The obvious point of that, assuming I'm not reading into it too much and/or just mis-reading it altogether, is that Mouton is the nickel. Campbell, McCourty, and Verner are outside.

Considering that many saw the path for Campbell to be Verner inside and he outside... this doesn't bode well for him.

I've been a critic of us being too predictable, but I actually thought we did a decent job in this game. Until of course it became it so incredibly obvious we can't run the ball. Even then...I didn't think it was terrible.

I think @NewsToTom said Stevens only lined up at TE something like 11 times. I'd be curious to know if those were CJ's 11 runs.

Just finished listening. Pretty good but do you guys really want to try to do this right after the game? Don't want to wait even until Tuesday? We don't call it Monday morning freak out for nothing or are you either trying to battle the freakouts or maybe trying to air some freakouts?

Know exactly what you mean and definitely don't want it to turn into that. We'll definitely try and keep it all in perspective. You guys know I give my opinions here and there, but I see my role really as that of a discussion generator for Jamal and Guru. I also see it as part of my role to help keep things in perspective. That's why I started this one out by saying the Patriots are elite and we all knew it would take some big breaks for us to come out on top.

Your opinion is certainly valued though. It's possible we could be wrong and folks really do prefer to recap the game later in the week after it's had time to settle in. I do have to agree with Jamal and Josh though...by Weds/Thurs, all three of us are really kind of burnt out on discussing that game as most of it's already been rehashed here on the board. We're basically just repeating - inadvertently - all the threads that pop up during the week. Just an experiment we'll try for a while though. We'll see how it goes.