Titans decline to pick-up option for LB Rashaan Evans

titansfan

Just now, japan said:

How long have people been hyping Long as a starter. I’m afraid he’s just a good backup player. 

I’d give Evans a couple games, but if he plays anything like he did last year I would make Long the starter, maybe even Rice if he puts on some weight in the off season. I think Long can be an adequate starter. He isn’t overly strong or fast, but he has really good instincts. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We all knew Evans wasn’t getting the 5th year option.    He has always stood out on the goal line, but otherwise he has been a disappointment. If they want to get something out of him, use him

He was solid in 2019. He wasn’t great, but he definitely wasn’t a massive liability like he was every single game last year. He also showed up in big spots in the 2 playoff wins.    You’re righ

He gone.    

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, japan said:

How long have people been hyping Long as a starter. I’m afraid he’s just a good backup player. 

Not that long... He has a lot of athletic ability and flashed when he got a chance to get on the field last year. Is he the answer after the team inevitably moves on from Evans after the season? No one knows yet. Hopefully we know more after this year.

11 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

Not as long as people claiming Evans is some great pass rusher......

Wasn't the argument that they should see what Evans can do as a pass rusher because A. he's underwhelming at ILB and B. the Titans only had one real pass rusher last year in Landry once Clowney went out and Beasely was cut?

6 minutes ago, japan said:

Right. One of the odder group-thinks….

Yeah, I don't really get that one. He was recruited to play EDGE at Bama and flashed a couple of spin moves on tape but that's a far cry from actually being a pass rusher at the NFL level. He's 6'2" 235 or something isn't he?

8 minutes ago, japan said:

Right. One of the odder group-thinks….

Probably a bit of sunk cost fallacy at play, but judging from last year I can’t see him being worse on the edge than he is at SILB. He has the strength to at least adequately set the edge and give the starters a breather. 

Considering the edge OLB's are the primary pass rushers in the scheme, no he can't do it.  He doesn't have any moves except the one and is undersized to consistently beat OT's off the edge.  What Evans can do is blitz up the middle much like he can attack the run gaps in short yardage.  Hopefully we see more inside blitzing from the inside backers this year as Brown and Long can do this too.

I recall people citing whatever he did at Alabama as proof he could do it......I'd also point out that if anyone thinks Evans is miscast and should be playing outside, then you would think that Robinson and Vrabel are morons.  If Evans is some answer at edge, why did the team throw 20 M at Beasley/Clowney and another 60 M at Dupree while watching the team have a pathetic pass rush?

Just now, BudsOilers said:

Considering the edge OLB's are the primary pass rushers in the scheme, no he can't do it.  He doesn't have any moves except the one and is undersized to consistently beat OT's off the edge.  What Evans can do is blitz up the middle much like he can attack the run gaps in short yardage.  Hopefully we see more inside blitzing from the inside backers this year as Brown and Long can do this too.

I recall people citing whatever he did at Alabama as proof he could do it......I'd also point out that if anyone thinks Evans is miscast and should be playing outside, then you would think that Robinson and Vrabel are morons.  If Evans is some answer at edge, why did the team throw 20 M at Beasley/Clowney and another 60 M at Dupree while watching the team have a pathetic pass rush?

No one said he’s the answer. Why are you constantly so hyperbolic? I said he has to be better at edge than what he showed at MLB last year. He was one of the worst in the league. If he can’t even set the edge to give our guys a breather then his ass needs to be on the bench if he starts the season looking anything like he did last year. 

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

No one said he’s the answer. Why are you constantly so hyperbolic? I said he has to be better at edge than what he showed at MLB last year. He was one of the worst in the league. If he can’t even set the edge to give our guys a breather then his ass needs to be on the bench if he starts the season looking anything like he did last year. 

LOL - you were one of the one's claiming he needed to play edge last year.  He's clearly not the answer at the edge or he'd be playing there and based on their actions, Robinson and the coaches agree with me. 

2 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

LOL - you were one of the one's claiming he needed to play edge last year.  He's clearly not the answer at the edge or he'd be playing there and based on their actions, Robinson and the coaches agree with me. 

Yes, I did say he should be tried at edge...because he was one of the worst starting MLBs in the NFL. Who gives two fucks if Robinson and Vrabel agree with you? Are you ever not a douchebag? It’s a simple statement, one more of a joke than anything at this point. Bench the SOB for all I care. Just don’t keep him in the middle if he’s going to play like he did last year. Open and shut case. 

Its less about assuming Evans can a solid EDGE and smore about simply seeing if he does anything at EDGE with a few snaps. When I say he's miscast in the Titans scheme I don't mean because he's playing SILB. I'm referring to the fact he's more of a downhill player and should be used as such rather than asking him to read and react.

Just now, oldschool said:

Its less about assuming Evans can a solid EDGE and smore about simply seeing if he does anything at EDGE with a few snaps. When I say he's miscast in the Titans scheme I don't mean because he's playing SILB. I'm referring to the fact he's more of a downhill player and should be used as such rather than asking him to read and react.

What he is is a SAM LB in a 4-3