NFL rule change proposals

Starkiller

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29205688/nfl-looks-adding-booth-umpire-tech-advisor-refs

The NFL is considering adding a booth umpire and a senior technology advisor to the referee to assist the officiating crew.

The league also is looking at other rules changes, including an alternative to the onside kick.

NFL clubs received a list of potential rules changes on Thursday. Owners will vote on the proposals at the upcoming league meeting to be held by video conference on May 28.

The league's competition committee told teams last month it supports studying ways to determine how officiating personnel who have access to a video feed could help on-field officials. A booth umpire would serve as an eighth game official.

If owners don't approve adding a booth umpire and/or a senior technology adviser, the league could test a version of both rules in the preseason for possible future implementation.

The proposal that would give teams another option instead of an onside kick permits a team to maintain possession of the ball after a score by substituting one offensive play. The kicking team would attempt a fourth-and-15 from its 25-yard line. This could be done a maximum of two times per game.

Onside kicks have become infrequent -- and hardly ever successful -- since the NFL changed rules on alignments for kickoffs.

Other rules changes that'll be discussed:

• Making permanent the expansion of automatic replay reviews to include scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul, and any successful or unsuccessful extra-point attempt.
  • Providing the option to the defense for the game clock to start on the referee's signal if the defense declines an offensive penalty that occurs late in either half. This would eliminate instances when an offense could benefit time-wise from committing a penalty.
  • Expanding the defenseless player protection to a kickoff or punt returner who is in possession of the ball but who has not had time to avoid or ward off the impending contact of an opponent.
  • Preventing teams from manipulating the game clock by committing multiple dead-ball fouls while the clock is running.

The Philadelphia Eagles had proposed restoring preseason and regular-season overtime to 15 minutes and to implement rules to minimize the impact of the overtime coin toss, but they have withdrawn the idea.

Owners are expected to drop the use of video reviews on pass interference after a one-year trial that caused as many headaches as it solved issues. The competition committee has recommended not renewing the rule that was put in place for last season after an egregious missed call in the 2018 NFC title game affected the result.

7 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I thought it was interesting they were looking at implementing the “Vrabel rule” to stop coaches from intentionally burning clock with dead ball penalties, which I bolded above.

Yeah - I figured that was a guaranteed change.  It is an obvious loop-hole that shouldn't be there.

I'd hope that would apply only  to multiple dead ball fouls with 5 minutes left in the half, rather than a single one.. we could legitimately see a false start or a delay of game once, but repeated penalties should be penalized as an unsportsmanlike with clock stoppage..

9 minutes ago, Nash said:

I'd hope that would apply only  to multiple dead ball fouls with 5 minutes left in the half, rather than a single one.. we could legitimately see a false start or a delay of game once, but repeated penalties should be penalized as an unsportsmanlike with clock stoppage..

They could just decide that the clock no longer restarts until the snap after the 2nd such penalty.

15 minutes ago, Nash said:

They can be already. It is why they only do it 3 times with the trick.  It is a grey area right now and up to the refs. This would make it specific.

42 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I thought it was interesting they were looking at implementing the “Vrabel rule” to stop coaches from intentionally burning clock with dead ball penalties, which I bolded above.

I guarantee Bilicheat proposed that rule. He loves to exploit the rules until it’s used against him, then he kills the loophole. 

4 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

I guarantee Bilicheat proposed that rule. He loves to exploit the rules until it’s used against him, then he kills the loophole. 

which is why his reaction to the loophole being used against him in that playoff game was so funny and ironic, by one of his former players no less.

The clock manipulation rule was a no brainer to go away.  Once it started getting exploited, it was destined to get eliminated.

The NFL should either revert back to the old rules or adapt the XFL onside kick notification rule to get this element back in the game.  The rule change they put in essentially eliminated an exciting football play. 

34 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The clock manipulation rule was a no brainer to go away.  Once it started getting exploited, it was destined to get eliminated.

The NFL should either revert back to the old rules or adapt the XFL onside kick notification rule to get this element back in the game.  The rule change they put in essentially eliminated an exciting football play. 

Ya, keeping kickoffs as they are now or having to say you will kick it onside before hand or heck just line up for one should be fine. Onside kicks were never the problem with kickoffs.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-updates-language-on-4th-and-15-proposal-taking-out-trailing-requirement

... allow teams to retain possession after a score by converting a fourth-and-15 play from its own 25-yard-line, takes out the requirement the team must be trailing to employ the maneuver.

...a team leading could attempt to play keep-away from an opponent by utilizing the fourth-and-15 option. It doesn't come without risk of giving the opponent the ball in scoring range.

=====

This is interesting.  I can see it benefiting the haves over the have nots.  A team like the Bills with a great defense that don't have the weapons to convert 4th and 15's don't benefit much.  What about the clock?  Team A scores with :10 left, has a one point lead and tries a 4th and 15.  Opps, time ran out.  OTOH, Kansas City might keep the ball for a whole quarter.  By the time they get done, your offense gets the ball for the first time trailing 21-0.

20 minutes ago, Number9 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-updates-language-on-4th-and-15-proposal-taking-out-trailing-requirement

... allow teams to retain possession after a score by converting a fourth-and-15 play from its own 25-yard-line, takes out the requirement the team must be trailing to employ the maneuver.

...a team leading could attempt to play keep-away from an opponent by utilizing the fourth-and-15 option. It doesn't come without risk of giving the opponent the ball in scoring range.

=====

This is interesting.  I can see it benefiting the haves over the have nots.  A team like the Bills with a great defense that don't have the weapons to convert 4th and 15's don't benefit much.  What about the clock?  Team A scores with :10 left, has a one point lead and tries a 4th and 15.  Opps, time ran out.  OTOH, Kansas City might keep the ball for a whole quarter.  By the time they get done, your offense gets the ball for the first time trailing 21-0.

You can also run around at the goal line daring the other team to stop the clock and just take the safety and then kick it after wasting 10-15 seconds if you have the 3 point lead that is. 

41 minutes ago, Number9 said:

What about the clock?  Team A scores with :10 left, has a one point lead and tries a 4th and 15.  Opps, time ran out.

I would think the 4th and 15 play would be untimed. 

16 minutes ago, Dinx81 said:

I would think the 4th and 15 play would be untimed. 

The game is already exciting enough as it is in that regard.  They should rollback some of the rules that give the offense the advantage.

Archived