Google Stadia

Anyone check this out? It's fascinating and more competition is only a good thing IMO.

It's not like Google was going anywhere anyway so I don't see them getting even more powerful if this works is bad for gamers. Nintendo will still be it's own thing and be driven by their IPs that Google will never be able to touch.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Console is gonna be dead before long in general. People bought consoles to game, but now they can do it with their PCs. You can get a high end gaming PC for 1.5k. If you're savvy enough, $750.   

I'm skeptical they can deliver this to most households with current speeds. Saying you have datacenters everywhere is great for those in urban areas or places with a concentration of datacenters like

You are looking at all wrong. Microsoft has a hyperscale cloud (azure) and owns the digital game market. The fact they are blurring the lines between xbox and PC gaming is another huge win. They are p

I'm skeptical they can deliver this to most households with current speeds. Saying you have datacenters everywhere is great for those in urban areas or places with a concentration of datacenters like Ashburn, VA. How can you delivery low latency to rural locations? most dont understand the physical limitations of fiber. 

Yeah, I don't see this working for everyone like they say but if anything, it will get Microsoft's Play anywhere much better because well because it's Google.

This is a great thing for competition, I don't know if I'll use it too much but depending on the price I'm sure as hell gonna try it out

MS have their own they intend to talk about at E3. MS are well positioned in this market, being a heavy weight in basically all involved markets already - gaming software and hardware, OS, data centres and infrastructure, and cloud. Based on their latest trends they'll put up a very good fight with Google.

Sony should be worried and are likely toast in the gaming world without some sort of key partnership. Maybe Cloudflare want to get into the game streaming business?

Edited by OzTitan

It's a good idea, but with 4k graphics, I don't see them being able to deliver any blows to the console world. The big blows to console are coming from PC gamers. It doesn't cost 5k for a gaming PC anymore. Wii and Switch will certainly get hurt because their games aren't very complicated. This service will mainly be for casual gamers who could also get the same experience playing free apps on their phones lol

37 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

It's a good idea, but with 4k graphics, I don't see them being able to deliver any blows to the console world. The big blows to console are coming from PC gamers. It doesn't cost 5k for a gaming PC anymore. Wii and Switch will certainly get hurt because their games aren't very complicated. This service will mainly be for casual gamers who could also get the same experience playing free apps on their phones lol

It hasn’t cost 5k for a gaming PC in decades though

you are right though that it’s biggest appeal will be to casual gamers but that’s not remotely who PC enthusiasts are so it wouldn’t take that business away, unless this service completely blows away everyone’s expectations you will still gets hoards of people purchasing high end graphics cards.

microsoft is obviously in a good enough space to compete because they have been building to this for the past half decade but if they spread a poor message it will hurt them. When Stadia comes out, I expect to see massive price cuts and promotions to Microsoft which is only a good thing.

Playstation could be hurting because they haven’t had proper infrastructure and haven’t made public attempts at getting their shit together.

Nintendo won’t be hurt by this one iota, people don’t buy Nintendo systems to play “not complicated” games, they do it for Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc.... none of which will ever be in Stadia

As you said, this is aimed at casual gamers (with fantastic internet)... that sounds like the market of console gamers who are late adopters not trying to push the boundaries with hardware

Techies and hardcore gamers  will be very interested in this service to see it in action, but unless this completely blows everyone away to an inconceivable level this won’t be enough to completely change their gaming habits.... it being google though, is going to push the boundaries for the entire industry and you can be damn sure MS and Sony are going to take Stadia as a direct competitor on the next gen systems

2 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

It hasn’t cost 5k for a gaming PC in decades though

you are right though that it’s biggest appeal will be to casual gamers but that’s not remotely who PC enthusiasts are so it wouldn’t take that business away, unless this service completely blows away everyone’s expectations you will still gets hoards of people purchasing high end graphics cards.

microsoft is obviously in a good enough space to compete because they have been building to this for the past half decade but if they spread a poor message it will hurt them. When Stadia comes out, I expect to see massive price cuts and promotions to Microsoft which is only a good thing.

Playstation could be hurting because they haven’t had proper infrastructure and haven’t made public attempts at getting their shit together.

Nintendo won’t be hurt by this one iota, people don’t buy Nintendo systems to play “not complicated” games, they do it for Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc.... none of which will ever be in Stadia

As you said, this is aimed at casual gamers (with fantastic internet)... that sounds like the market of console gamers who are late adopters not trying to push the boundaries with hardware

Techies and hardcore gamers  will be very interested in this service to see it in action, but unless this completely blows everyone away to an inconceivable level this won’t be enough to completely change their gaming habits.... it being google though, is going to push the boundaries for the entire industry and you can be damn sure MS and Sony are going to take Stadia as a direct competitor on the next gen systems

Console is gonna be dead before long in general. People bought consoles to game, but now they can do it with their PCs. You can get a high end gaming PC for 1.5k. If you're savvy enough, $750. 

The people who buy Nintendo in the US are nostalgic people with kids. In 5 years, the kids of kids who grew up playing NES will start having kids, and I doubt they'll fork over $300 for a console to play cartoon games.

Playstation has their shit together. They attacked Xbox fairly aggressively by targeting eSports. The fans followed, which means the content creators followed so everyone else gave market share back to Playstation.

I think we're gonna see a big merger of console companies. It's gotta happen if they wanna save themselves. We are really close to crossplay across all platforms thanks to games like Fortnite. My sons friends like console, but truly they just wish they could play all the games with keyboard and mouse. As previously stated, the kids follow the content creators. 

From a hardware standpoint, console just can't keep up. 144 fps is easy to get on PC. You're looking at 30-60 on console. Controllers are limited on movement and aim. 

19 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

From a hardware standpoint, console just can't keep up. 144 fps is easy to get on PC. You're looking at 30-60 on console. Controllers are limited on movement and aim. 

None of which matters to the casual gamer. KB&M for casuals really only matter for people who want to be more competitive in shooters (albeit, LOTS of people).

I think you are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy off base on Nintendo but that's neither here nor there, nintendo has never been anyone's direct competitor the past 15 years. The switch is amazing and the only thing that will hurt Nintendo is if they do something to fuck it up.

People bought consoles to game, but now they can do it with their PCs. You can get a high end gaming PC for 1.5k. If you're savvy enough, $750. 

That's my point about Stadia though, it's not like you even need $1500, unless you buy a nice monitor, to currently game on PCs where I don't see Stadia cannibalizing on the PC gamer market (they will just be introducing A LOT of new casual gamers to PC gaming). Unless the streaming is comparable for perceived input lag and fidelity, people in that ecosystem are going to continue to support tech necessary for high-end local PC gaming.

Playstation has their shit together. They attacked Xbox fairly aggressively by targeting eSports. The fans followed, which means the content creators followed so everyone else gave market share back to Playstation.

You're crazy if you think Playstation has their shit together when it comes to decentralizing their gaming and being able to compete with anything that Google and Microsoft is trying to do (the future of gaming if technology allows). Saying you don't believe that it will matter is one thing, but they are so out of touch with the competition though and will need to have a killer "E3" announcement to get people hyped for their new system. The thing they have going for them that will carry over to the next generation of gaming is their IPs, period.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

dead in 2 years. Everything Phil Harrison touches flops. They had bad latency on stage and on the floor. I like having a box and physical games. Google is the last company I want total control over my library and when I can access it. Most peoples internet won't be good enough for this. Google abandons things often. 

17 hours ago, OzTitan said:

MS have their own they intend to talk about at E3. MS are well positioned in this market, being a heavy weight in basically all involved markets already - gaming software and hardware, OS, data centres and infrastructure, and cloud. Based on their latest trends they'll put up a very good fight with Google.

Sony should be worried and are likely toast in the gaming world without some sort of key partnership. Maybe Cloudflare want to get into the game streaming business?

Xbox is not doing great in sales while PS4 & Switch greatly outsell it weekly/monthly/yearly. They are not well positioned at all. They are a total flop in Japan. Vita outsells it in Japan. Sony is nearing 100 million PS4's sold. Switch sales will very soon outsell Xbox One in just over 2 years. Xbox is now putting its games on Switch with Xbox Live features. Minecraft is on everything sure but Cuphead is now headed to Switch and more to come in the future. I will add not as a streaming game but as a Eshop and later retail release.

5 minutes ago, Somedude said:

Xbox is not doing great in sales while PS4 & Switch greatly outsell it weekly/monthly/yearly. They are not well positioned at all. They are a total flop in Japan. Vita outsells it in Japan. Sony is nearing 100 million PS4's sold. Switch sales will very soon outsell Xbox One in just over 2 years. Xbox is now putting its games on Switch with Xbox Live features. Minecraft is on everything sure but Cuphead is now headed to Switch and more to come in the future. I will add not as a streaming game but as a Eshop and later retail release.

You are looking at all wrong. Microsoft has a hyperscale cloud (azure) and owns the digital game market. The fact they are blurring the lines between xbox and PC gaming is another huge win. They are positioned very well when you look beyond the console itself. Since the new CEO took over they've done everything right. This isnt your father's Microsoft. 

6 minutes ago, Somedude said:

This is all current day. I'm talking in a streaming future. Sony have a lot of catchup to do there if it is indeed the future - maybe not in Japan but worldwide.

It could very well be too soon though and these streaming services will stall. I think Google and MS are ready to maintain it through initial adversity though. Both can weather that storm. Both can also subsidize it in an attempt to establish the market with a long term plan. Most of the costs involved are already part of their global business models.

Net Neutrality is gone and most ISPs have data caps. Let's say you stream your game at 4k, That's 7GB an hour. Most US internet connections are absolute shit and again their on-stage demo had 2-second delays from pressing the button to Kassandra doing something which is 100% unacceptable. Many games are frame specific and even in a slower game like AC Odyssey that won't work to have 1-2 second delays. It will kill fighting games or games like Devil May Cry or anything action heavy.  Doom on the show floor had severe latency.  Once again Phil Harrison is leading this shit. That's like asking Vince Russo to lead a wrestling company or a better comparison you might understand. Ruston Webster as GM of an NFL team. Google abandons projects so often and so fast. Even if by some chance this succeeds where Onlive failed....Google having a monopoly helps no one. This shit should fail and it will fail unless you want to pay ISPs an extra 50 bucks or more a month.