Owner meetings today

reo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/21/chicago-ownership-meetings-get-started-early/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/21/owners-are-expected-to-meet-on-tuesday-only/

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not compromise? Lose one preseason game and only lengthen the time of the season by one game. So, instead of four preseason games and a sixteen game regular season have three preseason g

There still would be 18 games under my suggestion. The preseason would have an odd number, though. Not that I'd argue my suggestion is a good one. Just one I haven't heard discussed before.

Look folks, the proposal involves the same number of total games. Now there are four preseason and sixteen regular season games, totalling twenty. Proposal is for two preseason and eighteen regular

I wish they could agree to something in principle and let free agency start while they put it in writing. 3 more weeks of complete inactivity is for the birds.

They can't really open up FA while they're still ironing out the details on how much money they can/have to spend and how it affects the cap. But I do agree that they need to hurry up and get it done.

The cynic in me thinks the owners are just stalling until the 8th circuit makes its ruling in their favor. Whenever that may be...

Wouldn't help the owners much. It seemed pretty clear that the judges would allow the lockout to continue but only for a limited amount of time. At the expiration of that allowed-period they would allow the anti-trust protection to expire. That's a whole new can of worms for the owners. They would then have to wait on the NRLB to continue which may take a lot of time. Just too messy and the loss of revenue is too great.

Outline of the proposed new deal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6687485

Seems reasonable. The players drop to 48% but revenue will grow with a 16 game Thursday night schedule. I hope they agree to a 10yr deal as well.

Wouldn't help the owners much. It seemed pretty clear that the judges would allow the lockout to continue but only for a limited amount of time. At the expiration of that allowed-period they would allow the anti-trust protection to expire. That's a whole new can of worms for the owners. They would then have to wait on the NRLB to continue which may take a lot of time. Just too messy and the loss of revenue is too great.

That's essentially what I read. The 8th circuit told both sides they wouldn't like the court's final ruling. Supposedly, the injunction would be allowed to continue but would expire a few days after the season was scheduled to start. So absent an agreement, the season would have to start at that point or soon after. Both sides were at risk. That's why they are reaching a compromise.

Pretty Clear is a stretch although the timing of the lockout expiration along with the 6 month time table required for an antitrust suit is sketchy at best. It seems to me the panel is using the threat of the ruling as a way to get both sides to sit down at the negotiating table and it's worked. I have a hard time believing a conservative pro-business court would side against the owners.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports all players with at least four years of service time will be unrestricted free agents under the labor agreement currently being discussed.

This had been the expected outcome as long as a new CBA was reached as opposed to a court-ordered short-term fix. The new free agency rules will affect upwards of 500 players, which should lead to a frenzy in late July after an agreement is reached. DeAngelo Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw, Joseph Addai, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith (NYG), and Zach Miller are the major fantasy names affected. All of the above will hit the open market.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3611/deangelo-williams

Looks like there will be a ton of FAs out there for us.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports all players with at least four years of service time will be unrestricted free agents under the labor agreement currently being discussed.

This had been the expected outcome as long as a new CBA was reached as opposed to a court-ordered short-term fix. The new free agency rules will affect upwards of 500 players, which should lead to a frenzy in late July after an agreement is reached. DeAngelo Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw, Joseph Addai, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith (NYG), and Zach Miller are the major fantasy names affected. All of the above will hit the open market.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3611/deangelo-williams

Looks like there will be a ton of FAs out there for us.

Great news for us I think...the more players available the better. Aside from Harris and Hall and maybe Tulloch, Babin, and Ball we do not have many free agents that will be leaving a major hole in our roster.

Don Banks:

Still relatively early, but we're hearing there is so far no significant dissent being voiced today (owners meeting) regarding direction of CBA talks.

http://twitter.com/#!/DonBanks