Owner meetings today

reo

What about things like the 18 game season? Is that still an option or did they completely take that off the table?

They said it would be on the table to negotiate in the future. There will be a full 16 game Thursday schedule though

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not compromise? Lose one preseason game and only lengthen the time of the season by one game. So, instead of four preseason games and a sixteen game regular season have three preseason g

There still would be 18 games under my suggestion. The preseason would have an odd number, though. Not that I'd argue my suggestion is a good one. Just one I haven't heard discussed before.

Look folks, the proposal involves the same number of total games. Now there are four preseason and sixteen regular season games, totalling twenty. Proposal is for two preseason and eighteen regular

The NFL will eventually go to 18 games with expanded rosters and adjusted players salaries. It's just not going to happen this year. All that crap about injuries was nothing more than pandering. The real hold up is compensation and how to handle division play.

I might be alone on this, but I don't want an 18-game schedule period.

Leave the game as is.

How many people do you think said the same exact thing when the schedule was expanded to 16 games in the 70's?

Its about time they moved to a 16 game schedule... The NFL has been gradually pushing for this for some time. Im glad they just went ahead in put in there, and as stated, it will only generate more revenue. 48% revenue for the players is reasonable, its a slight drop, but its probably as good as it gets. And yeah, an 18 game schedule will happen eventually. The owners just decided to not make it a big issue right now because everyone is so keen on just getting a deal done. The 18 game debate will arise in a year or so though...

I really don't mind 18 games, it slightly bothers me that it will water down some of the records

The records arguement is the worst arguement against, actually. If thats why a lot of people dislike it, then their arguements will be ignored, but cause it really holds no real ground. Besides, it can be easily resolved by labeling records as "14 game records", "16 game records", and then "18 game records"... Also, complaining about the records and then saying adding two more games will result in a large number of starters getting injured is a complete contradictary arguement for a person to use. Simply because that person will be saying that starters will be hurt, but at the same time saying starters will remain healthy to break many records...

Does two extra regular season games appeal to me? Yes.

For me, the concern lies in the needless injuries that will take place with those two extra games. Expanded rosters will help, but if we lose a top-tier player, at whatever position, no scrub backup is going to be able to completely pick up the slack.

The 18-game schedule. When do you start, August-unbearable heat in the south or September-frigid January weather in the north. They will have to expand the rosters, watering down the talent pool. I heard some mention that they would need to tweak the injury-reserve rules.

I really like a 16-game schedule, eliminate two of the preseason games.

The 18-game schedule. When do you start, August-unbearable heat in the south or September-frigid January weather in the north. They will have to expand the rosters, watering down the talent pool. I heard some mention that they would need to tweak the injury-reserve rules.

I really like a 16-game schedule, eliminate two of the preseason games.

I think you answered your own question about when would they start. I think the major hurdles over the 18 game schedule will be about the implementation of the 2nd bye week, the expansion of rosters, and the injury reserve (say a player is hurt early in the year and will be out for a substanstial about of time, but can be back by the end of the season, he should be allowed to be activated).

BTW, last year I made a good schedule of what the calender of an 18 game season would look like. I think the schedule system I had was that teams would play 6 division games, 4 interconference games, and then 8 conference games with two seperate divisions (so you would play one division two consecutive seasons). As for the calender, I think the year ended sometime in mid February (basically a week from where the SB normally is now)..

I think you answered your own question about when would they start. I think the major hurdles over the 18 game schedule will be about the implementation of the 2nd bye week, the expansion of rosters, and the injury reserve (say a player is hurt early in the year and will be out for a substanstial about of time, but can be back by the end of the season, he should be allowed to be activated).

BTW, last year I made a good schedule of what the calender of an 18 game season would look like. I think the schedule system I had was that teams would play 6 division games, 4 interconference games, and then 8 conference games with two seperate divisions (so you would play one division two consecutive seasons). As for the calender, I think the year ended sometime in mid February (basically a week from where the SB normally is now)..

I think the big issues are compensation and division play as I stated earlier. Players recieve 16 game checks plus a roster incentive bonue in the offseason. if you add 2 games to the schedule, then the players will want two additional game checks at the current rate. They aren't going to go for a reduction in pay per game just to accomodate the 18 game schedule and nor should they. I'm not sure how the NFl would handle modifying all the existing contracts but it would have to done. The second issue is in relation to division play. With only 6 of the 18 games within the division, winning the division would no longer really matter. They would likely have to do away with the divisions if they stayed with only 6 games. What is the other options, add 3 more division games so that half the schedule is within the division? That would reinforce the NFL's desire to make winning the division mean something however how would you split 9 games home and away? I can see it now the first time the Titans have to play the Colts twice on the road when the Texans only have to make one trip to Indy. There isn't an easy answer here.

I think the big issues are compensation and division play as I stated earlier. Players recieve 16 game checks plus a roster incentive bonue in the offseason. if you add 2 games to the schedule, then the players will want two additional game checks at the current rate. They aren't going to go for a reduction in pay per game just to accomodate the 18 game schedule and nor should they. I'm not sure how the NFl would handle modifying all the existing contracts but it would have to done. The second issue is in relation to division play. With only 6 of the 18 games within the division, winning the division would no longer really matter. They would likely have to do away with the divisions if they stayed with only 6 games. What is the other options, add 3 more division games so that half the schedule is within the division? That would reinforce the NFL's desire to make winning the division mean something however how would you split 9 games home and away? I can see it now the first time the Titans have to play the Colts twice on the road when the Texans only have to make one trip to Indy. There isn't an easy answer here.

So make it 10 games instead of 9. And have the 4th game against an opponent alternate each year to solve the problem with uneven numbers of home vs away. Just make sure that the 4th game does alternate between home and away vs that opponent every third year. Perfect? No. But could be 1 solution. Granted I think the 18 game schedule idea is more trouble than it is worth.

saying adding two more games will result in a large number of starters getting injured is a complete contradictary arguement for a person to use. Simply because that person will be saying that starters will be hurt, but at the same time saying starters will remain healthy to break many records...

That's silly. Both things can happen.

There will be more injuries if more games are played, that's a given. Likewise, there will be some guys that are more durable and lucky and those guys will shatter old records with more games played. The skillset for record-breaking in an 18-game season just shifts a bit more to durability. And this also increases variability season-to-season, making it harder to predict future success.

I'm not sure how this affects lifetime records. In theory, you get to play more games at a younger age but as injuries add up careers will be a bit shorter also.