Looking Back At First 20 Years Of Titans Franchise '99-'18

MIKE75

4 minutes ago, earlers said:

Different things to different fans.

Won't deny lots of ex Oilers in fact i'd say a good half of the fanbase is the ones who stuck with them when they changed over to Titans.

I started following them in 1999 year one as Titans

Most Tennessee residents began following them in '99

They do include the Oiler days starting in '60

They also celebrate the Titan years as welll this year is year 20 in 2018.

In the past in '08 they celebrated with an X on the jersey. In '13 it was an XV

Edited by MIKE75

They've only been the Titans for 19 years.  This will be the 20th season in 2018.  So it's hard to evaluate the first 20 years when only 19 have happened.

But for the first 19 years?  I'd say a B-/C+, something in that neighborhood.

Edited by scine09

1999 through 2018-----Overall Records plus playoff wins

1. New England-222-82------26 playoff victories

2. Pittsburgh-194-109-1-----15 playoff victories

3. Indianapolis-193-111-----12 playoff victories

4. Green Bay-186-117-1------12 playoff victories

5. Philadelphia -177-126-1-----11 playoff victories

6. Denver-175-129-------7 playoff victories

7. Baltimore -174-130-----15 playoff victories

8. Seattle-170-133-1--------13 playoff victories

9. New Orleans-160-144---------8 playoff victories

10. Dallas Cowboys—158-146--------0 playoff victories

11. Minnesota—157-146-1--------5 playoff victories

12. NY Giants—156-148----------10 playoff victories

**13. Tennessee—155-149**------------6 playoff victories

14. Atlanta—155-148-1---------------6 playoff victories

15. L. A. Chargers—153-151-----------4 playoff victories

16. Carolina—153-150-1----------------8 playoff victories

17. Kansas City—151-153----------0 playoff victories

18. Miami–146-158---------------2 playoff victories

19. NY Jets—145-159----------------------6 playoff victories

20. Chicago—143-161-------------------3 playoff victories

21. Cincinnati—141-160-3--------------0 playoff victories

22. Tampa Bay—137-167-------------------4 playoff victories

23. LA Rams—135-168-1------------------6 playoff victories

24. Arizona—135-168-1------------------5 playoff victories

25. San Francisco—135-168-1--------------6 playoff victories

26. Buffalo—132-172--------------------------0 playoff victories

27. Washington—132-171-1--------------2 playoff victories

28. Jacksonville—130-174-----------------4 playoff victories

29. Oakland—122-182-------------------------4 playoff victories

30. Detroit—113-191-----------------------0 playoff victories

31. Houston-110-146----------------------3 playoff victories

32. Cleveland-88-216------------------0 playoff victories

As a fan i am very satisfied with how we did so far in our near 20 years with the Titans franchise. We are just 3 wins from being a top ten team in wins compared to other teams since we first started back in '99 through today. The team also had two or three wild and crazy wins in the postseason as well Buffalo '99,Pitt '02 and KC '17 come to mind. Honestly i wouldn't trade places with any other team and believe me teams like Cleveland,Chicago,Buffalo,Detroit,etc. would all love to have had our success we had in the regular and postseason.

Also looking for a new head coach also shows me this team is doing whatever they can to  be better and they are not merely content to be happy with what we do have they want to improve and this was proven with the dismissal of Mularkey. We all knew with him coming back we were guaranteed to trend downward but his departure has the arrow pointing firmly up.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:47 AM, TitanRein27 said:

Hey Mike, I gotta tell ya - and I'm being straight up and serious here... It's nice to see such passion and dedication from a true fan point of few stating such history. Thank you bro.

I decided to pick my top ten games ever. Curious how others feel.

Anyone have a top 5 or 10 games list all time regarding Titans post 'em

On 1/15/2018 at 10:46 AM, scine09 said:

They've only been the Titans for 19 years.  This will be the 20th season in 2018.  So it's hard to evaluate the first 20 years when only 19 have happened.

But for the first 19 years?  I'd say a B-/C+, something in that neighborhood.

I would give them a B- as well.

Compared to other teams i think our first 19 years were a success overall. We were a couple wins from being in the top ten overall with 155 wins compared with how other teams did. Also we had 6 playoff wins thats more than quite a few others including Dallas,Minnesota,Kansas City,etc.

They also had 9 winning seasons,7 postseason appearances,6 postseason victories,3 division titles,3 13 win seasons,2 times NFL best record,2 AFC title and 1 Super Bowl appearance.

Edited by MIKE75

Great post! That was very enjoyable, thanks for putting so much effort into that. Really good stuff.

If I reflect on how 20 years have gone with the Titans, my instinct is to say that it's been more good than bad. But I know that is colored by 1999-2000. However, the fact that we only have 3 division titles in 20 years is brutal.  Getting to the Super Bowl carries a lot of weight, but losing your division year after year is not a good barometer of success. 

Also for the very first time it seems like this organization wasn't content to be happy with what had been achieved and strived for more. This was shocking as i think most here thought like i did that they would be happy we won a playoff game and decide to keep Mularkey around due to that. Mularkey was delusional he actually thought his OC did a good job so we would've been stuck not only with the OC but it looked like he told Murray he'd be back as well. Thank goodness Amy came to her senses.

In my opinion besides ownership the three most important positions in a football franchise are....1. QB, 2. GM,  3.HC

The QB is the leader of the team on the field and the better your QB is the farther you go in the standings. The leader off the field is the GM he puts the team together and the better your GM is at picking players the better your team is. As far as HC he is responsible for setting the tone,getting the team ready and the X's and O's.

The two people i am impressed with mostly are Mariota and Robinson. Both joined forces in 2016. Both come from winning backgrounds Mariota was 36-4 at Oregon and Robinson was at 135-41 in a decade at New England so they were came from winning backgrounds and were used to winning. Well in two years together they have two winning seasons and already have a winning a playoff game on their resume.

I'm not discounting what Mularkey did at all BUT the biggest part of all was Robinson getting all the collective talent together the last couple seasons and wheeling and dealing to bring in the best players possible. More talent was brought in and that along with Mariota gaining experience helped the team win games.

Heading into 2018 Mariota and Robinson have two straight winning seasons together. Robinson will look for a new head coach and hopefully this HC will utilize Mariota correctly and the offense can improve.

One thing i am very happy this team did this season is make the postseason because had we missed the postseason we would've been right next to Cleveland as the team with the longest postseason drought that would've made us look terrible. Before the playoffs started the teams with the longest postseason drought were......Buffalo '99,Cleveland '02,L.A. Rams '04,Jacksonville '07,Tampa '07 and Tennessee '08.

Well Buffalo,L.A. Rams,Jacksonville and Tennessee all made the postseason so a lot of bad history got wiped out.

Now the teams with the longest postseason drought are Cleveland 2002,Tampa 2007,N.Y. Jets 2010,Chicago 2010.

On 1/17/2018 at 6:31 AM, Tex in a Can said:

The run and shoot era, what a blast, the talent during some of those years was unbelievable the only offset were the heart breaking play off losses.

Before Tennessee got a team my favorite NFL franchise was the L.A. Raiders. I loved the Lions in the 90's because of Barry Sanders. Warren Moon was one of my favorite QB's ever and loved to watch him play back in the day.

We were a borderline top ten team our first 20 years if you look at the overall record as well as postseason wins we have had. Teams like Cleveland would give their right nut to experience what we have in our first 20 seasons. Better yet just picture how bad their 20 seasons were,lol. Last and only postseason appearance 2002. Last winning season 2007.    :sad: