Thinking about getting a new phone

Dmeade-

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd love to continue this conversation but my iPhone is about to die.

Holy shit 1998.  Does your plan give you free minutes on  weekends and free minutes  after 9pm?? Remember those times?! 

The OLED curved screen is absolutely sick. There's no home button, it's incorporated into the screen which I really liked. I played around with it for about 5 minutes and I would be just fine with the

Posted Images

On 5/9/2017 at 8:13 PM, abenjami said:

I made a similar thread about 18 months ago.  I was considering ditching the iPhone and moving over to Samsung.

I ended up getting the iPhone 6s.  I've never been stoked on it but things were ok until a few months ago when a new software release came out.  I know better than to upgrade to a new major ios release but I got screwed.  I went to touch  my phone and touched the screen right as the "update now?" thing popped up on its own.  After the update, my phone was seriously jacked up for months.  It ran slow as shit and battery life was terrible.  I could not go a full day without a charge.  It would say I have 65% battery left, I would use the phone for 5 minutes, and all of a sudden it's less than 20%.  This occurred for about 3 months until a couple weeks ago when a new update FINALLY fixed some of the issues and gave me a bit more battery life.

I'm done with the iPhone.  I played around with the Pixel and talked to someone who has one and loves it.  I think when the Pixel 2 comes out I am going to make the switch.

Yeah, that's where I'm headed. I'm not an early adopter. More so, an early researcher. 

23 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

You say this now. Just wait until the iPhone 8 comes out. I prefer iPhones mainly because every electronic I have is Apple (iPhone, iPad, MacBook, and watch). I'm not an apple lover by any means. Every one of them was gifted to me. The compatibility is the main reason I won't be leaving the iPhone. 

I got jerseys, season tickets, a tattoo, named my 1st son after a previous coach, but I wouldn't call myself a "fan."

2 hours ago, Dmeade- said:

@abenjami it is flagged for California's prop 65 stating it contains a cancer causing agent. What the deal with that? Legit or some typical cali bs?

Don't smoke or ingest your phone and you should be fine.

What are everyone's thoughts on the best route to get a new phone these days?

In the past it was easy.  They sold you the phone for like half price if you committed to a 24 month contract.  Those days are gone.  Now it's like $750 or some monthly plan that I don't really understand how it works.

22 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Now it's like $750 or some monthly plan that I don't really understand how it works.

When I went in a couple years ago to use my "upgrade", I was like uhhhhhhhhhh and just naturally caved into their system haha

11 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I just buy it in full up front. But paying for it monthly is fine. That's basically what we were all doing before in the era of 2 year contracts.

I don't understand the new monthly upgrade plans though.  For example, I saw one with Verizon that was 24 months at 0% interest AND you can upgrade your phone after you pay 50% of the monthly payments.

I get they amortize the $750 phone into 24 equal payments.  What I don't get is what happens 12 or 15 months from now when I want to upgrade again.  Do they just "forgive" the remaining monthly payments still owed because I upgrade again and start the 24 months over for the second new phone?  Or do I still owe those payments, etc...

28 minutes ago, abenjami said:

What are everyone's thoughts on the best route to get a new phone these days?

In the past it was easy.  They sold you the phone for like half price if you committed to a 24 month contract.  Those days are gone.  Now it's like $750 or some monthly plan that I don't really understand how it works.

The only difference now is it seems easier to upgrade to the latest and greatest device sooner. You still have to pay the same as you would have before, but there's no binding contract saying you cannot upgrade until the 2 years is up, you can pretty much do it whenever as long as you pay off the price of the phone. I think Sprint (?) even offers something to where you can upgrade to every iPhone when they're released regardless of how much you've paid off.

1 minute ago, TampaTitan said:

The only difference now is it seems easier to upgrade to the latest and greatest device sooner. You still have to pay the same as you would have before, but there's no binding contract saying you cannot upgrade until the 2 years is up, you can pretty much do it whenever as long as you pay off the price of the phone. I think Sprint (?) even offers something to where you can upgrade to every iPhone when they're released regardless of how much you've paid off.

This is the part I don't get.  Let's say I upgrade now to an S8.  The 24 monthly payments would be $31.25 per month.

After 12 months, I have paid $375 and I want to upgrade to an iPhone 8s.

Do they just forget about the 12 payments I still owe for the S8?

11 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I don't understand the new monthly upgrade plans though.  For example, I saw one with Verizon that was 24 months at 0% interest AND you can upgrade your phone after you pay 50% of the monthly payments.

I get they amortize the $750 phone into 24 equal payments.  What I don't get is what happens 12 or 15 months from now when I want to upgrade again.  Do they just "forgive" the remaining monthly payments still owed because I upgrade again and start the 24 months over for the second new phone?  Or do I still owe those payments, etc...

They get to keep your old phone when you pick the "upgrade" plan. You are basically just leasing a phone. Which is probably fine for most people who don't care about keeping the old phone. I give mine to someone in my family as a hand me down so I wouldn't do that, but it may be fine for you.

Now, what happens if you lose/destroy your leased phone? I'm unclear.

Edited by Starkiller

5 minutes ago, abenjami said:

This is the part I don't get.  Let's say I upgrade now to an S8.  The 24 monthly payments would be $31.25 per month.

After 12 months, I have paid $375 and I want to upgrade to an iPhone 8s.

Do they just forget about the 12 payments I still owe for the S8?

I actually haven't looked into that, on the surface I thought you had to pay off the full amount of the phone. I imagine that after just 12 months whatever phone you've been paying on still holds X-amount of dollars in value trade-in wise and they'd somehow factor that in to paying off the remaining balance? Definitely something worth asking them about.