I440 (for Nashvillians)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read a while back to fix 440 all the concrete needs to be dug up completely even the drainage and substrate underneath it and rebuilt from the bedrock up. Will cost over $100 million so they keep pu

Nashville is one of the most prosperous and growing cities in the nation. Hard to blame our mayors for that. This is shit that's typical for a growing city. 

It's a state project.  Dean and Barry have very little to do with it. Don't let that interfere with your silly little rant, though.  

On 3/15/2017 at 8:24 PM, patsplat said:

Urban highways are always in terrible condition because you can't shut them down.

I don't know if you've done road trips and to where but Urban highways are nowhere near close to atrocious as that

56 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

LOL, that's idiotic at best for anyone to possibly justify any reason to not start reconstruction ASAP

He shut the video off early, but it's pretty much like that the entire 7 miles. And it has gotten worse since then.

Governor Haslam is proposing a 7 cent tax hike to pay for new transportation costs. The state apparently has a law regarding not using sales tax funds to pay for transportation costs, but I don't understand why they can't find another source to pull funding from to get the money needed to pay for stuff like this, even if they pull it from sales taxes. Especially since they apparently are too lazy to raise their asses up off that huge surplus of funds they're sitting on right now.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

I was reading about how states with no income tax find ways through sales tax to compensate and have to find many other sacrifices too. It shouldn't be that complicated but I'm sure that has a lot to do with it... Florida has tollways so not sure how other states with no income tax deal with infrastructure

13 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I don't know if you've done road trips and to where but Urban highways are nowhere near close to atrocious as that

It looks like 440 is a concrete road patched with asphalt.  Those are always pretty bumpy in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, patsplat said:

@wtenn as a planner in Tennessee do you have any thoughts on the condition of 440?

Oh, I don't know.  I am not on the road that often.  I guess it is a shame they built 840 so far out that it apparently doesn't do much in the way of relieving 440 congestion.  Oh, and I have heard several people on the job theorize that TDOT is kind of letting all of the roads go a bit so the people can really see the need for improvements and thus support the gas tax increase.

1 hour ago, wtenn said:

Oh, I don't know.  I am not on the road that often.  I guess it is a shame they built 840 so far out that it apparently doesn't do much in the way of relieving 440 congestion.  Oh, and I have heard several people on the job theorize that TDOT is kind of letting all of the roads go a bit so the people can really see the need for improvements and thus support the gas tax increase.

How nice of them to do that.

TN is unique in that gas tax proceeds are earmarked for the TDOT budget and can't be used for anything else. In the past it went up on a fairly regular basis and TN had some of the highest rated roads compared to other states and since fuel prices were also on a constant rise the increases weren't really noticeable and it was a bipartisan policy embraced by both sides that worked well. When the far right took over the state legislature for better or worse the gas tax has been pretty much frozen, so now it has gotten to the point where instead of an abundance of funds they are getting to the point where they are having some difficulty funding everything they want to do. I don't doubt the theory about them maybe letting some roads get worse; they are used to having a sweetheart system of an ever increasing source of funding that they don't have to share with anyone else.

Edited by No1TitansFan

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Ok, you greedy fucks. You got your tax hike. Fix the god damn roads.

LOL....Governor Haslam's popping some expensive champagne tonight! That dude got everyone to vote for something that directly puts a shit-ton of cash in his and his gas station buddy's pockets by telling you that it'll fix roads and infrastructure. Yes, I realize that his gas stations do not get to directly keep the money paid for the gas tax....that's why he's laughing his ass off.

The brilliance in him getting this gas tax passed is strictly through investments. Whatever the gas tax percentage ends up being will be extra temporary income that he can earn interest on. So, if the gas tax is 6%, then that's an extra 6% that he can invest, earn interest on, and then pay the state the tax due. This leaves the interest earned on the temporary money as straight profit. He totally cares about the roads (that lead to his gas stations), I promise!