Mettenberger or Whitehurst?

Jonboy

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB gives the Titans the best chance to win now?

• Mettenberger
    • Whitehurst
  2. 2. If the staff moves on from Locker this season, who will be the starting QB?

• Mettenberger
    • Whitehurst
  3. 3. If the staff moves on from Locker this season, who SHOULD be the starting QB?

• Mettenberger
    • Whitehurst

Vote in poll and discuss.

I personally want them to roll with Mett when they finally make the decision. Will just put us in a much better position heading into the draft if we know whether or not we need a QB early. 

Part of me thinks they would go with Whitehurst though, with hopes of "winning now" and squeaking into the playoffs. I'm honestly not sure that Mett doesn't give them a better chance than Whitehurst, however. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How is our situation different from the Jags?   Henne sucks.  Locker sucks.   Based on what I've seen so far, Bortles is no more ready to be an NFL QB than Mettenberger.

@TitansGuru, @Jonboy, shouldn't there be a rule regarding uselessness on this board and post frequency? For instance, if your posts make CMJ look clever and insightful, you get a daily word limit?  

The fans are all pretty much going to want to see Mett. But I think we all know that Whitehurst will get the first chance to start.

I'd argue the second question is potentially both. If Locker is benched, Whitehurst will get some time as they prep Mett to take over.

If we win with Locker enough to stay in the playoff hunt, Locker will remain the starter. If he tanks, the team tanks, and the record will tank -- meaning no reason to band-aid the season, so they'll play Mett. Only alternative is if Locker gets his act together, we start winning, and then goes down with an injury, Whitehurst will probably get the start. But let's be honest, that's not what's going to happen.

It's impossible to know who gives them the best chance to win day 1, and ultimately it's unimportant. Whitehurst wasn't brought in to be a franchise QB and playing him if we're out of it does little. Mett has the chance to be much better than Whitehurst by day 1, 2015.

I'd be for Mett starting if they feel his injuries are not an issue and he's ready to start.  Mainly, the injury though.  Otherwise, I'm fine with Whitehurst starting.  

As for which gives the team a better chance, it's hard to say.  I think Mett is the better QB (from my limited knowledge of the two), but I think he may not have the pro experience (yet) which would give Whitehurst a potential advantage at this moment.  That said, the only way Mett gets pro experience is by being on the field.  

Either way, I'm okay with it.  Whitehurst can run the offense and build some confidence in it until Mett or whomever is taking the job.   

The answer to the second question is neither were draftin a qb

So we're going to not play a QB this season and just forfeit every game? I thought the draft happened after the season was over?

Reading comprehension. Work on it.

You're correct that it will take a bit longer to get to the move being made. Hopefully it's only going to take 1 more game, but who knows? These things can be excruciating for fans, especially when there is a better option both for the present and for the future in house. Mettenberger gives the team the best chance to be competitive week to week. With the Bengals out of the way the toughest sledding in terms of pass protection is out of the way too, with exception to Houston and maybe a couple others. Lockers extremely poor play has given the front office and coaching staff a green light to make the move. A record of 1-3 and a team in complete free fall should be enough to make the move. Hopefully it does not take longer than that. With the poor start the Titans are off the national media's radar, it makes it far easier to make a switch after 4 games. 4 games seems right. Locker supposedly looked solid in 4(actually part of 3) preseason games. So give him 4 real games to show. It's amazing how little sign of any real game some guys have to show to retain their starting spots. Once you've thrown away 1/4 of the season, you have very little time left to try to right the ship. The room for error becomes very thin over the last 12 games if you're 1-3 after 4. You gotta go 9-3 the rest of the way to think you're gonna have a shot at the post season. When putting it in those terms making a switch after week 4 doesn't seem knee jerk.

How sad is your short time as a titan fan gonna be if we draft a 1st round qb next year and METT literally never takes the field as a titan and we trade him to say the browns...you gonna be a browns fan then?

The answer to the second question is neither were draftin a qb

How would a drafted QB start if they move on from Locker this season?

They have to put someone out there as the "starter" if they move on from Locker. The 2nd question you're referring to is asking who would that be.

So we're going to not play a QB this season and just forfeit every game? I thought the draft happened after the season was over?

Reading comprehension. Work on it.

Lol my b I had a two year old and a four month old screaming at me. ..didn't read it thoroughly

How would a drafted QB start if they move on from Locker this season?

They have to put someone out there as the "starter" if they move on from Locker. The 2nd question you're referring to is asking who would that be.

Lol ya I realized this after I voted. My bad guys my bad. Kids will drive you bananas sometimes Edited by winessee

I'd argue the second question is potentially both. If Locker is benched, Whitehurst will get some time as they prep Mett to take over.

If we win with Locker enough to stay in the playoff hunt, Locker will remain the starter. If he tanks, the team tanks, and the record will tank -- meaning no reason to band-aid the season, so they'll play Mett. Only alternative is if Locker gets his act together, we start winning, and then goes down with an injury, Whitehurst will probably get the start. But let's be honest, that's not what's going to happen.

It's impossible to know who gives them the best chance to win day 1, and ultimately it's unimportant. Whitehurst wasn't brought in to be a franchise QB and playing him if we're out of it does little. Mett has the chance to be much better than Whitehurst by day 1, 2015.

How many games do you think would be enough to get a good assessment of Mett though? My fear is we'll go into the draft next year unsure again with what we have at QB because they'll insert him too late to get a decent assessment. I'd rather know whether or not we need to take one in round 1 or if Mett has shown enough potentially to be the guy. 

How sad is your short time as a titan fan gonna be if we draft a 1st round qb next year and METT literally never takes the field as a titan and we trade him to say the browns...you gonna be a browns fan then?

Its pathetic.

How many games do you think would be enough to get a good assessment of Mett though? My fear is we'll go into the draft next year unsure again with what we have at QB because they'll insert him too late to get a decent assessment. I'd rather know whether or not we need to take one in round 1 or if Mett has shown enough potentially to be the guy. 

I've been saying all along that I don't think he needs to get any games. I think they can give him the reigns next year based on what they see in practice, sign a mid level guy or draft someone in the middle rounds and let them battle it out.

Sam Bradford would be the perfect guy. Maybe Mark Sanchez. Someone that has the potential to be a fringe level starter but preferably a backup to Mettenberger.

And if Mettenberger absolutely flops next year then you think about QB in 2016.

I don't see any QB that's even worthy of taking in round 1 at this point who would be better than Mettenberger.

@Jonboy, don't know if there is a specific number of games. He's a rookie and should look like one even if he starts. The coaches have to gauge his development and his overall ability through practice. I think if he's promoted to the #2 and prepares to play every week, that would go a long way.

Ideally, he needs a few starts so they can see how he preps for the week and if he has the non-physical tools (mental makeup, work ethic in film room, leadership) to go along with his physical tools. Then I'd guess it's a matter of value in the draft. Even if they think he's a good prospect that fits the system, if someone they fall in love with drops to them, they may still want to pull the trigger. I highly doubt this happens though -- we need defensive playmakers bad, and the offense is ready to go, so I'd think a veteran QB would come in to compete with Mett and provide insurance.

But ultimately, they got a long look at him this preseason and probably already have an idea whether he has the tools to invest in. He was calm, accurate, and the game didn't seem too big for him. They already know he can throw the rock. I think they've made the decision already to be honest.