News for the Hard of Hearing

El Guapo

This is admittedly very politically incorrect. . and I am glad.  Has anyone paid attention to the sign language during news conferences? Are ridiculous facial expressions part of the ritual or are they integral to the sign?  If there is a written dialogue, do you still need this?

Not trying to be too contrarian but some of these are just plain laughable. I rather have Garrett Morris yelling. When did all of this become required? And why just the hearing impaired? How about non-English, non-sign language audience? There is an endless possibility of required versions...

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

This is admittedly very politically incorrect. . and I am glad.  Has anyone paid attention to the sign language during news conferences? Are ridiculous facial expressions part of the ritual or are they integral to the sign?  If there is a written dialogue, do you still need this?

Not trying to be too contrarian but some of these are just plain laughable. I rather have Garrett Morris yelling. When did all of this become required? And why just the hearing impaired? How about non-English, non-sign language audience? There is an endless possibility of required versions...

The way I see it, during an emergency the person who needs the sign language is dealing with more than the person who is not living with a disability.

So deal with it.

2 minutes ago, patsplat said:

The way I see it, during an emergency the person who needs the sign language is dealing with more than the person who is not living with a disability.

So deal with it.

It’s kind of like people complaining that there is an option for Spanish on phone calls. Who cares? How is this bad?

Just now, Starkiller said:

It’s kind of like people complaining that there is an option for Spanish on phone calls. Who cares?

I'm with @El Guapo in wondering about the facial expressions.  I think it's that without volume, you need something visual to add tonal information.

3 minutes ago, patsplat said:

I'm with @El Guapo in wondering about the facial expressions.  I think it's that without volume, you need something visual to add tonal information.

Well some of these people are certainly over the top. I just find it be inconsequential as long as they are getting the correct message across to people who need it. 

29 minutes ago, patsplat said:

Yeah, maybe thats it. Maybe someone with knowledge of this can enlighten us. It makes sense.  

Is this done electively or is it a requirement?

42 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Thank you.

In American Sign Language, certain mouth and eye movements serve as adjectival or adverbial modifiers.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/11/why-great-sign-language-interpreters-are-so-animated/264459

Yep thanks @CreepingDeath

3 hours ago, patsplat said:

This might be it.  I noticed this with Sarah Cooper.  I can see her do drama with Trump's talk and fully understand everything Trump says but when I see and hear Trump actually say it, I cannot follow because his scowl and erratic hand movement does not make sense with what he is saying so it is very hard to understand him. 

I think Trump's gestures and expressions are mandatory for making any sense out of his speeches. Any Trump transcript longer than a tweet where he's speaking off the cuff is pretty much incoherent.

Without that context at a minimum he just sounds drunk at the club

Maybe we should all learn ASL and see if the translation makes sense

I don't have a video to share, but recently here in Aus a politician was doing a press conference in a public park with a hand signer. During a lull in conversation, someone in a car drove up and started yelling something out to the politician - I actually think it was positive but it contained profanity (e.g. "you fucking legend mate" or similar).

The signer continued to sign to, presumably, capture what the person was yelling, because that was part of the experience a fully able person would have heard. I hadn't thought of it before, but it's not just the TV audience they are doing this for - so the signer presumably doesn't censor as a in-person listener wouldn't get the censored version. Also, while the TV may bleep out swearing, I don't think they do the same for signers.

Archived