Jamalisms

Episode 172 - Titans Beat Jets, Return To .500

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Which comes first, great QB play or pass protection?

The egg obviously… evolutionarily speaking

Way too hard on a guy who lead us back and had a good statistical game where the int wasn’t really even his fault. The play since the bye has been top notch. He’s been injured almost all of that time. 

They protected him because of the line and not protecting the QB from himself. 

too Much gloom and doom

good online discussion. Nobody knows what’s going on 8th the particulars o online play…unless they are pulling and hitting no one or just flat obviously getting beat

its pretty simple to me for the Inconsistency of this team since the bye.

There’s a large improvement in the pass game.... but we can’t run.

‘The D is still solid - looked bad in only two games... the two games pees missed or was not fully helping gameplan for. 

Then look and see we can’t run but we refuse to pass more.... 

I have to assume that’s because of sacks....A simple online switch and the sacks disappeared last week. All of a sudden mariota puts up almost 300 total yards in a half and could have had more. 

When the line even looks average... mariota looks great. It’s simple. Get pees working and get the online solidified and we are contenders. 

Edited by titanruss

6 hours ago, titanruss said:

its pretty simple to me for the Inconsistency of this team since the bye.

There’s a large improvement in the pass game.... but we can’t run. 

Then look and see we can’t run but we refuse to pass more.... 

A simple o-line switch and the sacks disappeared last week. All of a sudden Mariota puts up almost 300 total yards in a half and could have had more. 

There's one thing tying the different struggling parts of this offense together imo, and that's the o-line.  I don't think it can be all on Mariota unless you expect him to be out blocking to help the run game (which he's done).

However, there's only one thing that will settle the Mariota debate and that's time.  Give him time to master a system so he can actually build and grow in his development.  All he's done to this point is build, tear down, and rebuild the first floor (Mularkey's scheme was a one story ranch).

I've been away from the message board because I'm tired of fighting the same fight. So I'm putting down my gloves.  There's other football to discuss.

17 minutes ago, TitansFan_42 said:

There's one thing tying the different struggling parts of this offense together imo, and that's the o-line.  I don't think it can be all on Mariota unless you expect him to be out blocking to help the run game (which he's done).

However, there's only one thing that will settle the Mariota debate and that's time.  Give him time to master a system so he can actually build and grow in his development.  All he's done to this point is build, tear down, and rebuild the first floor (Mularkey's scheme was a one story ranch).

I've been away from the message board because I'm tired of fighting the same fight. So I'm putting down my gloves.  There's other football to discuss.

Long time. 

Welcome back

Huston   
50 minutes ago, TitansFan_42 said:

Ditto

tgo   

@OILERMAN Winston Moss is the guy who got fired for his tweet. Very highly regarded around the NFL and has long been considered an up and coming HC candidate. I'd actually love to have him here coaching linebackers or even as DC at some point. 

His title in Green Bay has been Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers for some time now. 

And to piggyback on this, a lot of defensive players will be really pissed about Moss getting fired. 

Edited by tgo

Soxcat   
53 minutes ago, tgo said:

Great insight regarding the OL stuff. 

Yea, the PFF slam was pretty close to being totally ignorant.  Certainly they do not get it right 100% of the time because they don't know exact responsibilities on each play.  But Laurel and Hardy both stated Kline sucked and..... PFF says Kline sucks.  Oddly guys like Martin, Yanda and Zeitler are consistently near the top of the ranking in OG play.  I guess that is fucked as well.  The Rams have a guy at #4 and #13 per PFF at OG and YES, their OL has been dominate in the middle. 

Fact is PFF is way more right than wrong, just not perfect.  Oddly enough Conklin's rankings were real high before this year.  Now they are shit.  Is that inaccurate as well?  Time and time again we have seen most of the top rated guys on PFF get the more lucrative FA contracts as well.  Guess that is stupid GMs have a similar/comparable rating system.   

Tomachek   
41 minutes ago, tgo said:

@OILERMAN Winston Moss is the guy who got fired for his tweet. Very highly regarded around the NFL and has long been considered an up and coming HC candidate. I'd actually love to have him here coaching linebackers or even as DC at some point. 

His title in Green Bay has been Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers for some time now. 

And to piggyback on this, a lot of defensive players will be really pissed about Moss getting fired. 

I was thinking the same thing, we don't really have a successor to Pees.

Maybe Tyrone McKenzie?  No experience just highly regarded for his intelligence back in the day as a player.

tgo   
1 minute ago, Soxcat said:

Yea, the PFF slam was pretty close to being totally ignorant.  Certainly they do not get it right 100% of the time because they don't know exact responsibilities on each play.  But Laurel and Hardy both stated Kline sucked and..... PFF says Kline sucks.  Oddly guys like Martin, Yanda and Zeitler are consistently near the top of the ranking in OG play.  I guess that is fucked as well.  The Rams have a guy at #4 and #13 per PFF at OG and YES, their OL has been dominate in the middle. 

Fact is PFF is way more right than wrong, just not perfect.  Oddly enough Conklin's rankings were real high before this year.  Now they are shit.  Is that inaccurate as well?  Time and time again we have seen most of the top rated guys on PFF get the more lucrative FA contracts as well.  Guess that is stupid GMs have a similar/comparable rating system.   

I wasn't being sarcastic, I thought Scotty and Jamal were spot on and that the anecdote regarding Munchak was insightful. 

Winning one on one battles in a zone blocking scheme is only really important at the tackle position. PFF can't possibly grade guards in a zone blocking scheme accurately because they have no clue on the assignments. 

Yanda and Zeitler are easier to grade because both those teams run power man schemes that are predicated on winning on on one matchups. Btw the Rams are a zone team but run a lot more man on inside runs than we do, we're almost exclusively zone. 

Conklin is probably easier to grade due to him being on an island, and their tackle grades are probably not terribly far off when it comes to either scheme. 

tgo   
4 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

I was thinking the same thing, we don't really have a successor to Pees.

Maybe Tyrone McKenzie?  No experience just highly regarded for his intelligence back in the day as a player.

No way, McKenzie is waaaay to wet behind the ears I think. If it was a young guy it would have to be someone like Anthony Weaver from the Texans or Josh Boyer from the Patriots. 

I could see someone like Don Martindale or Todd Bowles being an option if Pees were to retire this offseason. They have defenses that are quite similar.  Maybe even a Mike Pettine or Ted Monachino. They would have to run a variant of Vrabel's defense (mixed with their own) anyway. Martindale would be a natural replacement if he gets let go with Harbaugh. 

Now if Pees sticks around and 3 or 4 years down the road, maybe someone like McKenzie or Shane Bowen would be ready to take the reins. 

Soxcat   
13 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Never go full Soxcat.

PFF had the Titans rated as a top 3 or 4 offensive line.

At the start of the season with Mariota being sacked half as much last year as this year.....  oh wait, that was mentioned in the podcast

The point is simple.  Where can you find rankings, ratings on individual play?  In other words while imperfect as any site would be there is something to find some relevance.  Obviously trying to nit pick guys ranked within a few points of each other makes no sense but they certainly are getting right when players suck or are playing real well.  As I said... we have seen consistently the FAs getting the big contracts usually have high PFF ratings.  Guys with lower ratings get comparably lower contracts most of the time.  We also see guy who are having real good years getting higher ratings than they did in the past and visa versa.  It has relevance and to say it doesn't is plain ignorant. 

By the way I agree 100% on the Munch story and agree on the analysis for Spain (can't do certain things or is missing assignments we don't see).

Kline really does suck and PFF agrees.

Conklin is really playing below his previously play and PFF agrees.

Lewan isn't horrible but is also playing down this year and they got that right.

Jones is a middle of the road C, always has been and continues to be per PFF.

Davis is our highest rated WR, shocking.

Show me where PFF has been totally off.