Best Defenses in History - Titans Make the List

CreepingDeath

2 hours ago, scine09 said:

Yep.  I felt like the Baltimore game plan in 2008 was his best game plan of any playoff game.  He deserves zero blame for that one.  In that game the Titans were clearly the better team on both sides of the ball and mistakes just killed them.  If they played a 7 game series the Titans would probably have taken it in 5.  It just happened to be that the Ravens capitalized on every Titans mistake and every fluke thing and bounce went the Ravens way.

The non call on the delay of game also killed them. That was brutal and pretty obvious. 

2 minutes ago, Omar said:

The non call on the delay of game also killed them. That was brutal and pretty obvious. 

It never should have gotten to that point.  If Crumpler and White could hold onto the ball and they don't let a receiver make a catch on a prayer throw with 4 DB's right there the score would have been about 24-7.  Tennessee totally dominated that football game.

10 minutes ago, scine09 said:

It never should have gotten to that point.  If Crumpler and White could hold onto the ball and they don't let a receiver make a catch on a prayer throw with 4 DB's right there the score would have been about 24-7.  Tennessee totally dominated that football game.

Very true..JF and staff put in the perfect game plan, executed very well..except for the turnovers. 

13 minutes ago, scine09 said:

The way KC was throwing the ball that day & how CJ was running it, if that had been a normal defense we would've hung 40. That Ravens D was dominant.

17 minutes ago, Omar said:

I always thought the Buddy Ryan defense in '93 was the best ever. They just destroyed teams, and there was so much talent before the salary cap and free agency happened. 

Sorry, but it's difficult for me to put any of those defenses on a best ever list because of their perpetual playoff chokes.

That is what separated JF's Super Bowl team from that era.  The defense didn't choke in the playoffs.

Could you imagine how the chokesters during the Warren Moon era would have handled the Indy playoff game, or the Jax game (I'm not including the Buffalo game because that was a ST miracle)?  I kept waiting for disaster, but it never came.

No way the Warren Moon era teams win those games.

8 minutes ago, Denali said:

Sorry, but it's difficult for me to put any of those defenses on a best ever list because of their perpetual playoff chokes.

That is what separated JF's Super Bowl team from that era.  The defense didn't choke in the playoffs.

Could you imagine how the chokesters during the Warren Moon era would have handled the Indy playoff game, or the Jax game (I'm not including the Buffalo game because that was a ST miracle)?  I kept waiting for disaster, but it never came.

No way the Warren Moon era teams win those games.

Hard to argue with that. An all time dominant defense just shouldn't let a 40 year old, broken down Montana & 34 year old Marcus Allen move the ball all over them. 

I put that loss squarely on Buddy. Our front 4 was just destroying them but Buddy insisted om blitzing the shit out of Montana because he wanted to knock him out of the game. He beat him up early but Montana didn't make TE big mistake then started finding the soft spots of the blitzes for huge gains.

This is similar to the thread where the '01 Super Bowl was discussed , how Mike Martz refused to run Marshall Faulk while Belichick was blatantly playing the pass. Big egos costing big games.

Hubris.

On 6/26/2017 at 11:30 AM, CreepingDeath said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714530-nfl-nostalgia-ranking-the-best-defenses-in-nfl-history

Mike Tanier continues his nostalgia articles in the offseason.  The Titans and Jeff Fisher get some love early in the list at 22:

The Oilers are mentioned as a highlight for the Eagles at number 7:

--

For all of the hate Fish gets for the end of his career, he did build a great defense early on.  He paired it with an offense that worked, though I would have preferred more sparks and risks taken.  And fuck the Ravens.

What an ALL-STAR POST!!! Well done, my Jeepers-Creeper!!!