Millions of manufacturing Jobs could go unfilled?

Btowner

I can confirm this. People are stupid now and lack basic math, critical thinking and common sense skills. I'm in school learning welding right now and 2/3 of the people in my class are straight out of high school and can barely read a ruler and don't know how to add and subtract fractions. And don't even ask them to look at a problem and troubleshoot. Crazy. 

Edited by heyitsmeallen

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You didn't say it, but like clockwork, you can always count on this false Republican assumption. No sane person would make that point. Everyone knows Business 101 states "the motive of all businesses

The best way to create jobs is for the government to provide/create them. Instead the dullards are brain washed into believing the government is evil etc..... Corporations don't want people to ha

Jesus. @OILERMAN owned you both earlier in the thread. He was right, this is real job creation at work.  Quick poll: What scenario would you rather see in America?  a. 1 person be grossly ov

47 minutes ago, Downtown said:

Jesus. @OILERMAN owned you both earlier in the thread. He was right, this is real job creation at work. 

Quick poll: What scenario would you rather see in America? 

a. 1 person be grossly overpaid to dig a hole (probably too fast and with reckless abandon to get to the next high paying hole).

b. 20 Americans have jobs and meanwhile ensure that the hole is dug responsibly and doesn't disrupt your utilities, services, or environment.

Oman didn't own jack shit.

You think it's a coincidence that a postal employee thinks everyone should work for the government?

I don't.  The very notion is ludicrous on its face.  It's the foundation for Marxism/Leninism.  Government owning and controlling the means of production.

If you guys had your way you'd use the constitution for fire starter.  The U.S. government isn't supposed to be THAT involved in people lives.

JFC, do you even begin to understand what spawned this country and the beliefs and ideals it was founded on?

Take a fucking civics class for chrissake.

And when you're done there, a little time on the end of a shovel handle or a pick probably wouldn't hurt either.

Fucking idiot statists and their grand notion of a benevolent/altruistic government that can do no wrong. 

Never in the recorded history of man has a government ever been given that kind of power that didn't eventually turn on the people in tyranny.

Move to N. Korea for fuck's sake.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

25 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

I can confirm this. People are stupid now and lack basic math, critical thinking and common sense skills. I'm in school learning welding right now and 2/3 of the people in my class are straight out of high school and can barely read a ruler and don't know how to add and subtract fractions. And don't even ask them to look at a problem and troubleshoot. Crazy. 

Seriously?

6 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Move to N. Korea for fuck's sake.

Argh?!? Someone doesn't agree with me! Get out! 

(Its humorous to fear an oppressive government when we have intolerant folks like yourself who would rather suppress and exile dissenting views instead of debating them.)

13 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Seriously?

No fucking joke. It's actually pretty sad to see. We spent a whole fucking week in blueprint reading class on how to read a ruler and they still have problems with it months later. Fractions completely blow their brains up. Don't ask them to add or subtract 2 fractions with different denominators. Most of them have to sit there and think hard about which fraction is smaller 3/8 Or 1/2. I think a lot of it has to do with them taking industrial classes out of schools. Very rarely are there shop classes included in schools anymore like auto mechanical, carpentry, or metal shop like they used to have when I was in school and now they are starting to do away with the arts departments like theatre and normal art class. Kids don't have to learn to read rulers or use tools anymore. I really don't understand the fractions thing. I mean...that's basic algebra.. how do you pass math class?

Edited by heyitsmeallen

27 minutes ago, Downtown said:

Argh?!? Someone doesn't agree with me! Get out! 

(Its humorous to fear an oppressive government when we have intolerant folks like yourself who would rather suppress and exile dissenting views instead of debating them.)

Of course I do.  You would enslave my children and grandchildren to a government that would dictate their lives to them.  And contrary to what you no doubt believe, most people think about this the way I do.  What you're advocating is the antithesis of liberty and freedom.

So go ahead and push the issue and see how far it gets you.  And if you should succeed, see how long you can keep it before it collapses under its own weight.  Or without threatening people with imprisonment and/or death for failure to comply.

And as far as exile?  You should seriously consider it.  After all, with your worldview, N. Korea is just your kind of place.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

2 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

No fucking joke. It's actually pretty sad to see. We spent a whole fucking week in blueprint reading class on how to read a ruler and they still have problems with it months later. Fractions completely blow their brains up. Don't ask them to add or subtract 2 fractions with different denominators. Most of them have to sit there and think hard about which fraction is smaller 3/8 Or 1/2. I think a lot of it has to do with them taking industrial classes out of schools. Very rarely are their shop classes included in schools anymore like auto mechanical, carpentry, or metal shop like they used to have when I was in school and now they are starting to do away with the arts departments like theatre and normal art class. Kids don't have to learn to read rulers or use tools anymore. I really don't understand the fractions thing. I mean...that's basic algebra.. how do you pass math class?

Hmmmm.  It sounds like you're really not liking the status quo in education, and firmly believe serious changes should be made.

Don't get me wrong, this has been going on for awhile now.  I taught my kids fractions and percentages myself, and then had to argue when their teachers told me they were learning it incorrectly.  One even accused my son of being disruptive in class over it because he used an example I taught him.

But they learned it, and they know it, and my son uses it daily in his work.

20 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

I think a lot of it has to do with them taking industrial classes out of schools. Very rarely are there shop classes included in schools anymore like auto mechanical, carpentry, or metal shop like they used to have when I was in school and now they are starting to do away with the arts departments like theatre and normal art class. Kids don't have to learn to read rulers or use tools anymore. I really don't understand the fractions thing. I mean...that's basic algebra.. how do you pass math class?

I think it goes beyond just shop classes though.  Back in the day most women managed to learn fractions and decimals and never took a shop class.

But I admit, a shop class teaches some of the practical application of those processes, and more.  A master carpenter for instance, would be lost without Pythagoras' theory.

1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Hmmmm.  It sounds like you're really not liking the status quo in education, and firmly believe serious changes should be made.

Don't get me wrong, this has been going on for awhile now.  I taught my kids fractions and percentages myself, and then had to argue when their teachers told me they were learning it incorrectly.  One even accused my son of being disruptive in class over it because he used an example I taught him.

But they learned it, and they know it, and my son uses it daily in his work.

How exactly were they claiming that the students were learning fractions wrong? I've heard a lot of parents have issues with math now because of common core math. We didn't have common core math when I was in school so I don't even know what it is or what makes it different from normal math. I do think one of the biggest issues with the school system is the pressure teachers are put under to teach the curriculum on a certain time schedule instead of making sure every student understands before moving on. Or at least making sure the students that don't understand get tutoring after school. That's hard to do with the average class sizes that public schools have. 35-40 kids in 1 class is way too many for the kids to get a proper education. And the class sizes are so large because less people strive to be teachers now. It's seen as a low paying job so the talent pool is shrinking every year. These teachers are usually paid less than garbage men and a lot of times have to get second jobs to pay their bills. That stress takes focus off the classroom and gives the teacher less time to make sure the students get an ample education. Every teacher I had in school told us not to become teachers unless that was our dream in life, because the stress and responsibility isn't equal to the pay scale. Why should someone that is responsable for the education of our youth and the future leaders of our country be paid less than the guy that knows how to drive a trash truck? IMO a Secretary of Education that as no history in the public school system or first hand experience of its problems, and the charter schools that they run test In the bottom of the a state consistsntly for over a decade(one of them 2 decades).... paired with lowering the Department of Educations budget and raising the military budget won't fix this problem...But we shall see. 

17 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

IMO a Secretary of Education that as no history in the public school system or first hand experience of its problems, and the charter schools that they run test In the bottom of the a state consistsntly for over a decade(one of them 2 decades).... paired with lowering the Department of Educations budget and raising the military budget won't fix this problem...But we shall see. 

Maybe she won't.  But on the other hand I can't believe anyone would advocate for a Sec of Ed candidate that came up through the existing system you spent 2 or 3 posts trashing, by pointing out the inabilities of the products of that system.  IOW, the status quo didn't teach them even the basics.

Things you have witnessed first hand.

That should be the first indication that what you've been taught to believe about the existing system is wrong.  That indeed it doesn't work, and that it is in fact, broken.  I suspect for a lot of kids reading is a similar problem.

PS: I taught my kids about finding the common denominator in adding/subtracting fractions first.  But the thing the teacher fought me so hard about was using money, which my kids could identify with, to explain the relationship between fractions and decimals, and to simplify adding 2/10s, and 1/20th together to equal 1/4 etc.

Even though she understood why it worked, and she admitted she'd never thought of it that way, she felt it was wrong to teach them by that method.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

4 hours ago, Soxcat said:

The funny thing about it is Oman was either making a joke or purpsely actinga libtard. 

I wasn't joking in the least.

The government could create jobs and the dullards will consume and everyone will benefit. More jobs equal more tax revenue too.

We can't hire 20 people to dig a hole but Exxon and GE can get tax refunds and the military industrial complex can continue to spend billions on outdated weaponry?? LOL I know lets give wall street banks a massive tax subsidized bailout after they wreck the economy so they can use it on bonuses.

Most of these corporations are getting so much government money and exemptions it's not even funny.

Government waste......lol you dummies don't even know where the real waste is