Biden

Pragidealist

1 hour ago, Pragidealist said:

TBH- I think Obama made Biden much "every man" and turned his gaffes into character quirks instead of faults.  Who knows if that would carry on into a new campaign.   But all of the meme's with the Bro-mance of Biden and Obama really epitomized his role in that administration.  That has created a bit of a halo effect around him.   

This is a very interesting and astute observation. Gonna chew on this for a while but I'm pretty sure you are dead on here.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doesn’t matter. The fact that he supports Trump now is even more embarrassing...

Roll tide is right. Innocent or not, Biden is too handsy for the post me too world. That shit isn't acceptable anymore. 

No one voted for Trump. They all voted for Gary. It was a clerical mistake that put Trump in office instead 

53 minutes ago, luvyablue256 said:

Honestly, I don't see him passing the Dem's far-left feminist bloc's purity test.

Right, just like the darling of the young Democratic base, Beto.

:checksnotes:

Actually, what you said here doesn't match up with reality.

13 minutes ago, tgo said:

Lol. 

If you follow the money, it leads to Joe Biden. 

His fundraising prowess and infrastructure at this time far outpaces the others. 

Small donor email list?

re: women

again, it's early and some of the women candidates are mostly not as well known, but Beto is still mostly way ahead of Harris who is similarly known to Beto (as seen in the poll I posted above).

Edited by Titans279

1 minute ago, tgo said:

I mean, small donors for Bernie, Beto, et al. are big. 

But big donors are big too - fundraisers, etc. 

Isn't the limit to a campaign $2700?  

I know he and others can set up a Pac, but a Pac can't coordinate or pay for ongoing campaign expenses.  I haven't seen any evidence Biden has a small donor base, but I could have missed it.

18 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Right, just like the darling of the young Democratic base, Beto.

:checksnotes:

Actually, what you said here doesn't match up with reality.

This is the same party that forced Hillary on the party because it was "her turn" (which is code for "our" turn). Over Joe, no less.

Why do you think Sen. Kristen Gillibrand threw her hat into the ring?

Edited by luvyablue256

Just now, luvyablue256 said:

This is the same party that forced Hillary on the party because it was "her turn" (which is code for "our" turn).

Why do you think Sen. Kristen Gillibrand threw her hat into the ring?

Well now you are mixing things up. Yes the decks were cleared for Hillary, but she was by no means a far left candidate, and in fact perhaps the biggest reason she lost was because base democrats (or "teh libz") stayed home. And the decks were cleared for her for reasons other than her being leftist or a woman.

Add to that this time there is no real insider big wig running, other than Biden, a white male, and your analogy doesn't make any sense at all.

Yes, it is possible that primary voters select a very progressive woman candidate, and do so for ideological and identity politics reasons. But then that person would not have been "forced" upon anyone. They would have won fair and square.

So, unless you can name a progressive female candidate that is being forced on people by the party, your hot take is garbage

6 minutes ago, luvyablue256 said:

This is the same party that forced Hillary on the party because it was "her turn" (which is code for "our" turn). Over Joe, no less.

The Democratic voters picked her. There’s nothing more to it than that. Joe didn’t run. 

Edited by Starkiller

15 minutes ago, ctm said:

Isn't the limit to a campaign $2700?  

I know he and others can set up a Pac, but a Pac can't coordinate or pay for ongoing campaign expenses.  I haven't seen any evidence Biden has a small donor base, but I could have missed it.

Oh I'm def talking about PACs sorry. Biden's has been set up for a long time now.

2 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

The Democratic voters picked her. There’s nothing more to it than that. Joe didn’t run. 

The 2016 Democratic primary was rigged in favor of Hillary.

CC: @Legaltitan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/11/02/ex-dnc-chair-goes-at-the-clintons-alleging-hillarys-campaign-hijacked-dnc-during-primary-with-bernie-sanders/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9db0d60454f9

1 minute ago, luvyablue256 said:

No, it wasn’t. The DNC didn’t push primary votes towards Hillary nor did it promote her over Bernie. She won the nomination fair and square. 

5 minutes ago, luvyablue256 said:

Why are you ccing me?

My argument is very different from Star's. In fact, it is just a couple posts above this one.

But I'm glad you mentioned Bernie Sanders, because that further undercuts your narrative, as he was the more progressive candidate. So is your argument it was rigged for Hillary because she's a woman, or because she is a leftist? Your original post said you think it is going to be rigged this time in favor of a leftist woman.

My argument, just to restate it, is to the extent it was "rigged" it was because Hillary had paid her dues and had heavy sway and influence in the party, and no one wanted to go against her. You know, like happened in 2008 until Obama came along and took it from her. At that time she was definitely not the insider favorite because she was a woman. Arguably, it was despite that fact. She had everyone lined up behind her, even black congressmen, until Obama caught fire.

So Hillary was not forced on us in 2016 because she was a woman, and certainly not because she was a leftist. Currently there is no woman or leftist, and certainly no combination of the 2, that is being "forced" on anyone. Quite the opposite, it is a wide open primary where the only insider frontrunner is an old white male. And the next most popular is not even a Democrat, and is also an old white male.

So, you see, whatever it is you were trying to argue, it all falls to shit.

I will concede that Hillary had the decks cleared for her in 2016. Everything else you are trying to argue here does not hold water.

And regarding the deck being stacked in 2020---Democrats have eliminated the vote of super-delegates on the 1st ballot.  In addition, more states are moving away from caucuses and to primaries.  Both moves empower voters and make the process more democratic.