FiveThirtyEight: Kirk Cousins Is Not Better Than Joe Montana. So Let’s Fix Passer Rating (Mariota among biggest losers)

Titans279

1 hour ago, japan said:

It's just funny how quickly you pivot positions on a guy who you vilified a year ago (along with me) then hop to using your new position on the guy to vilify Mariota.

So him adjusting his opinion based on recent play is a bad thing now? Should he just blindly hate on a guy even if he improves?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We all know passer rating has been inflated over time. The article is interesting and goes into detail about how they adjusted for this inflation to put everyone on an even playing field. It covers ne

And when you take all that and throw in the injuries...   Let's just say if this were a strong QB draft or a strong FA for QBs, I think Robinson would be giving it some serious thought.

Seems very well done. Tannehill has been my comp for a while now

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

But passer rating itself has always been a surprisingly decent metric within any self-contained era; the team with the higher passer rating (by any margin) in a game wins about 80 percent of the time. 

This was the most staggering part of the article to me.  80%!!  Highly correlated predictive statistics that are easily understood are fascinating but should be met with a bit of skepticism.

(I clicked on the SI.com link)  Was the 80% number only from that specific year (2010)?  Does it use the QBs career rating or just to that point in the season?  

2 minutes ago, Supernope said:

This was the most staggering part of the article to me.  80%!!  Highly correlated predictive statistics that are easily understood are fascinating but should be met with a bit of skepticism.

(I clicked on the SI.com link)  Was the 80% number only from that specific year (2010)?  Does it use the QBs career rating or just to that point in the season?  

No research but it makes sense given how touchdowns and turnovers have such an impact on a game's outcome.  Explosive plays made/allowed is also a good barometer.

10 minutes ago, Supernope said:

No, that's over the entire lifespan of the NFL.

When you factor in passer rating differential the number of teams that won the championship that were ranked either #1 or #2 is staggering

13 minutes ago, Supernope said:

https://fancredsports.com/Articles/passer-rating-differential-the-mother-of-all-sta

3 hours ago, Thrill said:

Ok... but he had a bad year this year that’s not really up for debate. His stats don’t look awful but he constantly missed open receivers. But obviously injuries were a major part of it and everyone gets that. 

Mariota deserves some of that same leniency. But this his last year to prove himself. Where as Newton is a proven commodity and you can safely assume he will be back to full strength next year. Mariota is not such a sure bet. 

Newton has consistently missed passes as he's a below average passer.

He survives due to his a ability to play like a fullback and be available for the most part, but he is wearing down and due to not developing as a passer because he didn't have to.

The lost practice reps used on how to run him and lost in games reps as a passer are beginning to catch up, his time as a functional starting QB is short due to a mortal body and average to below average QB ability.

45 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

No, that's over the entire lifespan of the NFL.

When you factor in passer rating differential the number of teams that won the championship that were ranked either #1 or #2 is staggering

It shouldn't be shocking, it's been a matter of how your QB matches up for years.

Yeah you always have outliers, but it is what it is.

Until further notice Marcus is injury prone and the third best QB in our division and anyone that believes different is either huffing paint or smoking the hopiom.

7 hours ago, Smokes said:

It shouldn't be shocking, it's been a matter of how your QB matches up for years.

Yeah you always have outliers, but it is what it is.

Until further notice Marcus is injury prone and the third best QB in our division and anyone that believes different is either huffing paint or smoking the hopiom.

Third best?  Jax will have something better by opening day.