Vols dangling part ownership of Browns to lure Gruden

NashvilleNinja

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Do I think he's a great coach? No. But he was a damn good coach. You don't lead a team to hoist the Lombardi, even if it was someone else's squad, and no

Some of the folks on Volsnation just got a ton of credibility in my book. They said this, verbatim, roughly a month ago. Also the Bucs hangup should be resolved on the 30th. That's when his l

You really think so? This is do or die time for this football program. They need a "Calipari" like hire after UK's fiasco with Gillispie. Recruits would be lining up to play for Gruden.

I didnt say guarantee at all...but if he's announced as UTs head coach I'd put money on it. In fact I will, right now, if you're so confident he won't.

Regardless of confidence in my statement I am not a gambler.

I would like it if he does turn out as well as you hope if he is the coach. But I highly doubt it happens.

NFL = different than college. Look at Saban and Carroll's winning %.

Plus, having the draft picks squandered (from him being traded there) certainly didn't help

Not all former NFL coaches have success in college either.

Coaching matters. Of course. That's why teams like Baylor, Louisville, and Stanford show up on the radar, but more than anything - it's recruiting power. You get recruits by being the big name - hence why Alabama has little turnover here lately. Florida, LSU, USC, Notre Dame this year - you establish the name, and you get talent. You get talent in college better than your opponent and you're just more likely to win

Personally, I don't think for a second Gruden is a poor coach- far from it. However, I'm highly confident that his prestige will put UT (which is already a top college coaching gig) as one of the pinnacle schools for recruits to sign to. Lane Fucking Kiffin had the number 1 ranked team coming into this year - and what has he done that his dad didn't pave the way for?

Gruden's accomplished more than 95% of coaches will ever see. If that sparks this kind of fever from fans, who only watch the games, surely it will mean the same, if not more, to the players

I think the disconnect here is how much emphasis you are placing on how future players will react.

How you want them to react and how they will react are going to be pretty different imo.

Not all players watch the NFL or have access to seeing MNF. I do not think.l his name has as much drawing power as you think it does.

I think the disconnect here is how much emphasis you are placing on how future players will react.

How you want them to react and how they will react are going to be pretty different imo.

Not all players watch the NFL or have access to seeing MNF. I do not think.l his name has as much drawing power as you think it does.

Oh, please.

Now you're just being silly.

IMO, Gruden would be equivalent to Calipari at UK bball.

Dude is a slightly above average coach...but a phenomenal recruiter. Imagine Gruden sitting down to talk with an 18-year old kid, "Oh by the way, here's my Super Bowl ring."

It's not about MNF. It's about all of these young kids having a dream of playing in the NFL. Who better to help them get there than a man who knows what it takes to succeed at that level?

Initially, the biggest impact a Jon Gruden hire would make for UT is instant name recognition, nation-wide. While that doesn't necessarily translate to top 10 recruiting classes, it unequivocally boosts our familiarity with every recruit in the nation--which undoubtedly helps.

4 weeks ago I would venture a guess to say that at lease half (if not more) of the recruits on the West Coast could even name who UT's head coach was...."IF" Gruden is hired, we're at the very least credible again with every recruit in the country.

That's HUGE in recruiting. Period.

I'm confident he'll be a good HC in the college game, but how good.............???

Edited by WhiskeyAlphaBravo

IMO, Gruden would be equivalent to Calipari at UK bball.

Dude is a slightly above average coach...but a phenomenal recruiter. Imagine Gruden sitting down to talk with an 18-year old kid, "Oh by the way, here's my Super Bowl ring."

Lmfao. He is a phenomenal recruiter? Based on what?