Vols dangling part ownership of Browns to lure Gruden

NashvilleNinja

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Do I think he's a great coach? No. But he was a damn good coach. You don't lead a team to hoist the Lombardi, even if it was someone else's squad, and no

Some of the folks on Volsnation just got a ton of credibility in my book. They said this, verbatim, roughly a month ago. Also the Bucs hangup should be resolved on the 30th. That's when his l

You really think so? This is do or die time for this football program. They need a "Calipari" like hire after UK's fiasco with Gillispie. Recruits would be lining up to play for Gruden.

You really think so? This is do or die time for this football program. They need a "Calipari" like hire after UK's fiasco with Gillispie.

Yes, it is pathetic just like the Peyton-Bud adams saga was.

Recruits would be lining up to play for Gruden.

Based on what?

WG - assuming it happens, he's one of the most relevant coaches in the last 10 years, if not ever, to get into the NCAA game.

A Super Bowl ring and a few years of being in every teenagers home every Monday night goes a long way.

Who knows if he translates well to college, but given his pedigree, it's silly to assume he couldn't make a winning formula, plus having handfuls of four and five star recruits every year on name alone goes a long way.

You're a smart guy, parity doesn't really exist in the college game and a big name almost ensures top notch talent. Gruden is the biggest fish that's nibbled the bait in a long, long time.

I think you are giving Gruden way too much credit in his skill coaching and overvaluing his ability in recruiting.

The emergence of south carolina and a few other programs are causing UT to not get quality talent over the past decade. I doubt Gruden changes that.

Edited by WG53

PFT doesn't seem to think it's all that likely:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/28/report-gruden-to-get-browns-ownership-stake-in-offer-to-coach-vols/

Here’s another possible hiccup. According to John Infante, who worked as a NCAA compliance officer at Colorado State University and ran the Bylaw Blog for the NCAA website, NCAA rules would prohibit this transaction unless the ownership stake was first gifted to the University of Tennessee. He says there is no rule prohibiting coaches being involved with pro teams but rather the issue has to do with outside compensation.

I think you are giving Gruden way too much credit in his skill coaching and overvaluing his ability in recruiting.

The emergence of south carolina and a few other programs are causing UT to not get quality talent over the past decade. I doubt Gruden changes that.

I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Do I think he's a great coach? No. But he was a damn good coach. You don't lead a team to hoist the Lombardi, even if it was someone else's squad, and not be damn good at it. And like I've mentioned before... the team he beat in the Super Bowl was the team HE built.

He knows X's and O's and he's a household name, especially after this media hurricane of "will he/won't he". To act like this won't massively help UT and put a sizable dent in other program's abilities to woo players away from UT is silly. Giving credit where credit is due isn't going to cause you to contract aids...

I disagree. With a hire like Gruden, I bet you're looking at a top 10 (maybe top 5) recruiting class for at least the first three years, even longer if the team does well - which largely depends on the recruiting class.

And I know how he loved veterans and runs a WCO, but dismissing the coaching ability of a SB winning coach whos team, even if largely Dungy's, played said coaches old team, just seems silly. This is like a chess player going back to checkers, but getting to start with 3 more pieces than his opponent.

So he wins a superbowl against his former team who did not change their calls and the defense he did not coach won them the game. Yet I do not give him enough credit? Right....

Is he a decent coach? Yes.

Will he be the next big thing? Maybe but I doubt it.

That was one game WG. It was still a team he basically built (exact argument for claiming he won Dungy's team a SB). The team Gruden built and the team he coached both made it to the championship. Yes, the tuck rule helped with one, but you can't discount one without giving credit to the other