Trade Advice Needed

abenjami

Half point PPR league.  Start 2RB, 3WR.  I had Javonte Williams.  Here is the basic situation now.

RB - Henry

RB - Hilliard

WR - Chase

WR - AJ Brown

WR - Renfrow

Bench - Hopkins, Latavius Murray, James Cook, Davis-Price

Obviously losing Javonte created big hole at RB2 and I don't have good RB depth.  Starting Hilliard alongside Henry worked well this week as both scored but that won't always be the case.  For some weird reason I'm ok with doing that some weeks and streaming my RB2 during others, although the waiver wire is weak since it's a deep roster league.

There's another team that is deep at RB and weak at WR.  He's got CMC, Fournette, Jacobs and Stevenson.  He's offered to trade CMC for Chase straight up.  I don't really like that deal for my team because I don't like the situation in Carolina with no QB and the HC just getting fired.  I would also like to know what I have in Hopkins (suspended) and Renfrow (slow start?) before dealing Chase or AJ Brown.

I'm thinking about offering him AJ Brown for Fournette or Jacobs.  I think he would do either.  I don't think he would do CMC for AJ Brown but I could ask.

I'm also considering doing nothing for a couple of weeks and seeing how things play out.  If Hopkins comes back strong and/or Renfrow returns to form, I have plenty of pieces to deal to this team or a different one.  But if both remain in fantasy irrelevance, then I think I'm better off flexing the RB2 and keeping Chase/AJ Brown.

Any thoughts?

23 hours ago, abenjami said:

Half point PPR league.  Start 2RB, 3WR.  I had Javonte Williams.  Here is the basic situation now.

RB - Henry

RB - Hilliard

WR - Chase

WR - AJ Brown

WR - Renfrow

Bench - Hopkins, Latavius Murray, James Cook, Davis-Price

Obviously losing Javonte created big hole at RB2 and I don't have good RB depth.  Starting Hilliard alongside Henry worked well this week as both scored but that won't always be the case.  For some weird reason I'm ok with doing that some weeks and streaming my RB2 during others, although the waiver wire is weak since it's a deep roster league.

There's another team that is deep at RB and weak at WR.  He's got CMC, Fournette, Jacobs and Stevenson.  He's offered to trade CMC for Chase straight up.  I don't really like that deal for my team because I don't like the situation in Carolina with no QB and the HC just getting fired.  I would also like to know what I have in Hopkins (suspended) and Renfrow (slow start?) before dealing Chase or AJ Brown.

I'm thinking about offering him AJ Brown for Fournette or Jacobs.  I think he would do either.  I don't think he would do CMC for AJ Brown but I could ask.

I'm also considering doing nothing for a couple of weeks and seeing how things play out.  If Hopkins comes back strong and/or Renfrow returns to form, I have plenty of pieces to deal to this team or a different one.  But if both remain in fantasy irrelevance, then I think I'm better off flexing the RB2 and keeping Chase/AJ Brown.

Any thoughts?

I think you are in a good place to do strategic negotiation. You can offer a counter that make sense and see what you can get. I think my approach would be twofold:

1) Troll the weak and bottom feeding teams for deals you might truly win. Look for two for ones that you can talk up (Hilliard and D-Hop for X). 

2) Send a counter. Try AJ for CMC. Hasn't AJ out performed Chase thus far? If he bites, fair enough. If not, you are in a better place to move AJ for another guy. You might also have sneaky value in Hopkins. You can sell it as they are getting a WR1 at a lower cost as you held the burden of his suspension. He's extremely effective in that offense. The importance is sustained dialogue. The more you stay in conversation, the more likely it eventually happens--at a deal closer to what you are comfortable with. 

I would do Chase or AJB for CMC all day! CMC hasn't even been special and he is still the RB5. Chase is a little overrated in fantasy. He's not duplicating his big plays he had last year. Sure he could EXPLODE any week and he has a decent floor, but he isn't Kupp, Diggs or Jefferson tier. Hopkins is going to come in and produce right away at worst he is a WR2. Cardinals suck and they have to keep throwing the ball. 

This trade would leave you with a big hole at WR3. Renfrow isn't it this year. Finding a weekly WR3 stream or even adding a few high upside guys is a lot easier than finding a RB2 though. 

On 10/13/2022 at 2:20 PM, Bink said:

I think you are in a good place to do strategic negotiation. You can offer a counter that make sense and see what you can get. I think my approach would be twofold:

1) Troll the weak and bottom feeding teams for deals you might truly win. Look for two for ones that you can talk up (Hilliard and D-Hop for X). 

2) Send a counter. Try AJ for CMC. Hasn't AJ out performed Chase thus far? If he bites, fair enough. If not, you are in a better place to move AJ for another guy. You might also have sneaky value in Hopkins. You can sell it as they are getting a WR1 at a lower cost as you held the burden of his suspension. He's extremely effective in that offense. The importance is sustained dialogue. The more you stay in conversation, the more likely it eventually happens--at a deal closer to what you are comfortable with. 

7 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

I would do Chase or AJB for CMC all day! CMC hasn't even been special and he is still the RB5. Chase is a little overrated in fantasy. He's not duplicating his big plays he had last year. Sure he could EXPLODE any week and he has a decent floor, but he isn't Kupp, Diggs or Jefferson tier. Hopkins is going to come in and produce right away at worst he is a WR2. Cardinals suck and they have to keep throwing the ball. 

This trade would leave you with a big hole at WR3. Renfrow isn't it this year. Finding a weekly WR3 stream or even adding a few high upside guys is a lot easier than finding a RB2 though. 

Here's the bigger issue for me.  This might sound crazy but I'm not so sure I really want CMC.  Or perhaps it would be better to say that I feel CMC is very risky at this point due to the injured QB's and HC just being fired down in Carolina.  I won't be surprised if CMC finishes as a top 5 RB from here on out.  But I also wouldn't be surprised if he finishes as RB20-30 due to all the turmoil around him.

And of course if he finishes as RB20-30, then I'd be a fool to trade Chase for him and probably AJ isn't worth it either.  That's really more of my dilemma at this point.  If this was on the table a month ago, I wouldn't have created this thread because I would have pulled the trigger already.

I've looked around at other teams and this guy is easily my best trade partner.  He's got RB depth like no one else in the league.

I was able to grab Eno Benjamin off waivers so to buy me another week or two and hopefully get Hopkins back.

I sort of feel like trading AJ for Fournette is the better deal rather than Chase for CMC.

12 hours ago, abenjami said:

Here's the bigger issue for me.  This might sound crazy but I'm not so sure I really want CMC.  Or perhaps it would be better to say that I feel CMC is very risky at this point due to the injured QB's and HC just being fired down in Carolina.  I won't be surprised if CMC finishes as a top 5 RB from here on out.  But I also wouldn't be surprised if he finishes as RB20-30 due to all the turmoil around him.

And of course if he finishes as RB20-30, then I'd be a fool to trade Chase for him and probably AJ isn't worth it either.  That's really more of my dilemma at this point.  If this was on the table a month ago, I wouldn't have created this thread because I would have pulled the trigger already.

I've looked around at other teams and this guy is easily my best trade partner.  He's got RB depth like no one else in the league.

I was able to grab Eno Benjamin off waivers so to buy me another week or two and hopefully get Hopkins back.

I sort of feel like trading AJ for Fournette is the better deal rather than Chase for CMC.

Fair point. CMC has league winning upside though--and the head coach and QB situation--both of those guys are on the way out, which might elevate CMC because Rhule an Baker are both dogshit.

15 hours ago, Bink said:

Fair point. CMC has league winning upside though--and the head coach and QB situation--both of those guys are on the way out, which might elevate CMC because Rhule an Baker are both dogshit.

I offered him AJ Brown for CMC.  He said he would think about it.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, abenjami said:

Yeah no kidding.  I've now lost Javonte, Breece Hall and Chase back to back to back.  Brutal.

Did you always have Hall? I wouldn't have done the trade for CMC with Hall on the roster. He got hurt so its irrelevant but a Henry, Hall, Chase, AJ 4 some was looking pretty stacked a couple weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Did you always have Hall? I wouldn't have done the trade for CMC with Hall on the roster. He got hurt so its irrelevant but a Henry, Hall, Chase, AJ 4 some was looking pretty stacked a couple weeks ago. 

I always had Hall but in this league we have a "rookie flex" roster spot.  You have to start a rookie RB/WR/TE every week.  Having Breece Hall in that slot was a huge advantage over everyone except the guy who has a similar situation with Pierce (and now the guy with Ken Walker).

I wanted to keep Hall in the rookie flex spot, so I needed another RB to take Javonte's place.

I agree with your premise though.  If this was a standard roster I wouldn't have been looking to deal AJ Brown for a RB and would have more than content rolling out Henry and Hall.  Heck I probably would have traded away Javonte before he got hurt.

2 hours ago, abenjami said:

I always had Hall but in this league we have a "rookie flex" roster spot.  You have to start a rookie RB/WR/TE every week.  Having Breece Hall in that slot was a huge advantage over everyone except the guy who has a similar situation with Pierce (and now the guy with Ken Walker).

I wanted to keep Hall in the rookie flex spot, so I needed another RB to take Javonte's place.

I agree with your premise though.  If this was a standard roster I wouldn't have been looking to deal AJ Brown for a RB and would have more than content rolling out Henry and Hall.  Heck I probably would have traded away Javonte before he got hurt.

ahh ok. Thats an interesting flex spot. 

5 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

ahh ok. Thats an interesting flex spot. 

Yeah. We have a thing where the champ gets to implement a new rule for the next season. That was the champ's rule this year. 

Last year that flex spot was mandatory second TE.

Archived