Playoffs since 1990 when teams give up 35 or more points

BudsOilers

1 minute ago, TheBukafax said:

The offences last drive of the half was what ruined that game. Plain and simple. They score a TD and eat the clock, Titans win.

Agree that was the ideal situation but they punted it with 2 minutes left and KC had it at their own 14.  The defense failed too, allowing a TD with 11 seconds left on a play with 4 or 5 missed tackles.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Both units failed.  It’s not that hard.

I agree, it's difficult to win any game when you give up 35 points.  

I agree.  Beating the #1, #2, and #3 seed all on the road was a lot to ask of any team.  It was always going to be a tough matchup against a very good team.  The Chiefs earned the right to be there an

1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

35 points allowed is bad for any defense.  After the first 3 and out:  TD, TD, TD, 10 play drive ended with a dropped pass that would have been a 1st down, TD, TD, then the last drive was about running time off, kneel downs.

The offense doesn't get off the hook because they failed to make first downs and at least keep it away from KC but this idea the defense was fine is moronic.

That last bomb was clearly opi guy pushed off droppped Brock to the ground... 

Just now, Stan said:

I will not blame the defense when it comes to taking on high powered offenses because you can’t stop them. Especially one with all that speed and weapons and a mastermind offensive genius in Reid. The Titans lost the game before halftime, Vrabel wanted to run out the clock, drive the field and get a field goal. The defense adjusted held them to zero points in the 3rd Q and offense failed 

That's a ridiculous mindset and is wrong.  Good defenses stop good offenses and that holds the test of time.  The Titans defense had to get stops that prevented TD's at least some of the time and they failed.

Granted, the offense failed too in those two consecutive drives as well.  Again - a team loss in the truest form

4 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

35 points allowed is bad for any defense.  After the first 3 and out:  TD, TD, TD, 10 play drive ended with a dropped pass that would have been a 1st down, TD, TD, then the last drive was about running time off, kneel downs.

The offense doesn't get off the hook because they failed to make first downs and at least keep it away from KC but this idea the defense was fine is moronic.

Fine? no.

Understandable? Sure.

But it's also why I want a corner in the first. We missed Butler badly.

That being said, Tannehill left plays on the field as well. Too bad for him, he pretty much had to play perfect to beat KC.

But hey... that's the AFCC for ya. We were playing for a chance to go to the SB, not just to win another game.

33 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Wrong.  Each team had one possession without a score and then KC drove down from the mid 3rd quarter and scored TEN seconds into the 4th quarter to make it 28-17.  The Titans literally had maybe 6 plays in the 3rd quarter whereas KC ran 21 plays in the period.  The defense had two meaningful stops all game and one was due to a dropped pass....

In the first KC game, the Titans allowed tons of yards but only 3 TD's and 4 FG's while also scoring a defensive TD and blocking a FG attempt.  That's how you do it.

Not cry baby.  You don't win in the playoffs when you give up that many points. 

You did not even comment on what I said. So learn to read or back off. Learn to speak english while you are at it. You are like 70 and you haven't figured it out yet.

Edited by Callidus

4 minutes ago, Callidus said:

You did not even comment on what I said. So learn to read or back off. Learn to speak english while you are at it. You are like 70 and you haven't figured it out yet.

Yes I did - you said it was cry baby BS and you are incorrect.  As for my age, I'm nowhere close to 70 years old....

3 minutes ago, scine09 said:

You mean to say that when you give up 35 or more points you’re most likely going to lose?  Wow, I wouldn’t have known!

When the reaction is to blame the offense solely because your defense gives up a ton of points, that's moronic.  The situational defense the Titans played was as bad as the situational failings on offense. 

To win, the Titans needed to be perfect on offense (they were not) and hold some KC scoring drives to FG's (they didn't).  As bad as the 2nd quarter failed drive was, allowing KC to drive 86 yards down the field in less than two minutes for a TD was just as bad.

15 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

When the reaction is to blame the offense solely because your defense gives up a ton of points, that's moronic.  The situational defense the Titans played was as bad as the situational failings on offense. 

To win, the Titans needed to be perfect on offense (they were not) and hold some KC scoring drives to FG's (they didn't).  As bad as the 2nd quarter failed drive was, allowing KC to drive 86 yards down the field in less than two minutes for a TD was just as bad.

Patrick Mahomes is the best player in football.  You knew the Chiefs were getting 30 plus.  It was up to the offense to match them.  They didn't.

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

I also didn’t agree with kicking a field goal I would have gone for points. Giving up 3 points meant nothing to the chiefs. Score should have been 21-7

That was a no-brainer.  You have to take the points there.  They were up two scores at two different points in the game because they kicked.

The issue was punting on 4th and short.  Twice.

Edited by scine09

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

Patrick Mahomes is the best player in football.  You knew the Chiefs were getting 30 plus.  It was up to the offense to match them.  They didn't.

I don't disagree that the offense failed as the plan certainly was to have extended drives that resulted in touchdowns.  On the flip side, I guarantee the plan on defense was an assumption that KC would automatically score 35 points or more.  They certainly wanted to hold KC to FG's on some drives or better yet TO's or punts.

The TD drive % of KC for the season was .295, 2nd only to Baltimore.  In the week 10 game, the Titans held KC to a TD drive % of .272 (3 of 11).  In the game the other day, KC had a TD drive % of .625 (5/8).  

The Titans TD drive % for the season was .284 (5th best).  In week 10, they scored 4/10 drives (.400).  On Sunday, they were 3/8 (.375).

The Titans surely didn't plan to give up TD drives at that rate.  The bottom line is that this game had an unusually low number of possessions as well as zero turnovers.  We all know the situational failings and they were on both the offense and the defense.  The failed 2nd and 9 run on the last drive of the half and subsequent 3rd and long played into what KC does well - rush the passer on obvious passing situations - and what the Titans don't do well... Likewise, you pin them at the 14 with 2 minutes left and you expect the defense to at least hold them to 3.  The D failed on the Mahomes run, which was great yes, but they missed 4 tackles that would have likely held them to 3 there. 

Of course, we get the lone 3rd quarter offensive possession, down 4, and they blow 2nd and 1 and 3rd and inches with poor execution and iffy play calling too.  KC drives methodically down the field and scores easily in the red zone to go up 11.  For all intents and purposes, the game is over as Henry is neutered as a threat.