Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TitansGuru

Spam Prevention (New Members)

Recommended Posts

Since we've seen an uptick in spam registrations and a severe uptick in attempted spam registrations according to the log, I have implemented a new policy to help cut down on potential posts being made from the spammers:

  • New registrations will be added to a "New Members" group
  • People in this "New Members" group may reply to topics but may not create new topics or report members.
  • After 24 hours, people in this group will be automatically promoted to the "Members" group, where they will have normal privileges.

Also, new registrations now require email verification. This is both to prevent spam and to prevent people from losing access to their account. By not having email verification in the past, I have had to manual reset passwords quite a bit due to people either putting in some random email they don't have access to or making a typo when entering their email, preventing them from using the lost password tool. This isn't retroactive, so if you get locked out of your account I will still help you after some verification and a wait period since I take every step to ensure that it is the correct account owner before resetting anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
4 hours ago, TitansGuru said:
  • New registrations will be added to a "New Members" group
  • People in this "New Members" group may reply to topics but may not create new topics or report members.
  • After 24 hours, people in this group will be automatically promoted to the "Members" group, where they will have normal privileges.

You should keep them from starting treads for a month, plus they need some replies to post.  Just liking a post shouldn't count, unless it one of mine.  :13_upside_down:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You should keep them from starting treads for a month, plus they need some replies to post.  Just liking a post shouldn't count, unless it one of mine.  :13_upside_down:

I do like the idea of making them hit a certain number of posts before threads can be started. Also a lot of forums require new members to be approved by a mod before they can start threads. Just an idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Denali   
5 hours ago, TitansGuru said:

Since we've seen an uptick in spam registrations and a severe uptick in attempted spam registrations according to the log, I have implemented a new policy to help cut down on potential posts being made from the spammers:

  • New registrations will be added to a "New Members" group
  • People in this "New Members" group may reply to topics but may not create new topics or report members.
  • After 24 hours, people in this group will be automatically promoted to the "Members" group, where they will have normal privileges.

Also, new registrations now require email verification. This is both to prevent spam and to prevent people from losing access to their account. By not having email verification in the past, I have had to manual reset passwords quite a bit due to people either putting in some random email they don't have access to or making a typo when entering their email, preventing them from using the lost password tool. This isn't retroactive, so if you get locked out of your account I will still help you after some verification and a wait period since I take every step to ensure that it is the correct account owner before resetting anything.

I can no longer see any thread creation buttons, and when I try to send a PM, it says I am only allowed to send 0 messages per day?

 

I tried logging out and back in, and tried starting from the home page and then navigating to the forum, but I am unable to see any create thread buttons for any of the forums.

 

I don't see any inbox messages informing me of a change in membership or anything.

 

The only way I can communicate on this forum is by replying to a thread or to a post, so I am doing that here in hopes of finding out what is happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Denali   
1 minute ago, Denali said:

I can no longer see any thread creation buttons, and when I try to send a PM, it says I am only allowed to send 0 messages per day?

 

I tried logging out and back in, and tried starting from the home page and then navigating to the forum, but I am unable to see any create thread buttons for any of the forums.

 

I don't see any inbox messages informing me of a change in membership or anything.

 

The only way I can communicate on this forum is by replying to a thread or to a post, so I am doing that here in hopes of finding out what is happening.

Have I been banned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
2 minutes ago, Denali said:

Have I been banned?

I don't think you have been banned, if so you couldn't post.  I imagine do to some of the things you have posted, you have probably been classed as an undesirable.  

You were one of my buds back in the old days during the VY war, but man do politics change a people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Denali   
15 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I don't think you have been banned, if so you couldn't post.  I imagine do to some of the things you have posted, you have probably been classed as an undesirable.  

You were one of my buds back in the old days during the VY war, but man do politics change a people.

C'mon man.  Seriously?  You're saying they have decided that I can't create threads anymore because I am a Trump supporter??!!  Seriously??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Denali said:

I can no longer see any thread creation buttons, and when I try to send a PM, it says I am only allowed to send 0 messages per day?

 

I tried logging out and back in, and tried starting from the home page and then navigating to the forum, but I am unable to see any create thread buttons for any of the forums.

 

I don't see any inbox messages informing me of a change in membership or anything.

 

The only way I can communicate on this forum is by replying to a thread or to a post, so I am doing that here in hopes of finding out what is happening.

You don’t see this anymore? 

19373422-D659-4FFD-9173-DEBE9DA0FD14.thumb.jpeg.7a0fe94f5d7b4b321d9f547fe92b22bb.jpeg

 

It could have something to do with this thread.

or this one. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by heyitsmeallen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
3 minutes ago, Denali said:

C'mon man.  Seriously?  You're saying they have decided that I can't create threads anymore because I am a Trump supporter??!!  Seriously??

But I was kinda kidding because I don't post over there.  I haven't put you on ignore, so you must not be too bad.  Maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Denali   
7 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

You don’t see this anymore? 

19373422-D659-4FFD-9173-DEBE9DA0FD14.thumb.jpeg.7a0fe94f5d7b4b321d9f547fe92b22bb.jpeg

 

It could have something to do with this thread.

or this one. 

 

 

 

 

 

I don't see the "Start new topic" button:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Denali said:

 

I don't see the "Start new topic" button:

 

Weird. @TitansGuru I did notice that everyone is in the new members group now. Will this change after 24 hours? I’m pretty sure mine used to say contributer since I’m a patreon subscriber. 

Edited by heyitsmeallen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Weird. @TitansGuru I did notice that everyone is in the new members group now. Will this change after 24 hours? I’m pretty sure mine used to say contributer since I’m a patreon subscriber. 

The spam bots have caused Guru to crack. Even as contributors we're under his strict, dictatorship rule. Write your family and tell them you love them, might never see them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

@TitansGuru not sure if the above changes have affected other members, but currently I have lost the ability to edit my own posts or start new threads.

That’s because every time you start a thread a Titans player gets put on IR. Guru is just protecting the team 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...