New OT rules have already caused two ties this season

Oiler FANatic

Sudden Death OT was just fine the way it was before. Ties were extremely rare and it didn't need fixing, contrary to popular opinion.

The thought that winning the coin toss automatically meant winning the game was complete bullshit. If you can't play defense, you deserve to lose.

Now that both teams almost always end up with at least one possession in OT and they shortened it to 10 minutes, there are two ties in two weeks.

I'm fairly positive this is the first time since 1974, when they started with regular season overtime, that there have been two ties this early in the season.

Packers Vikings was very flukey. Should have ended on a Packers INT but got called back due to a phantom roughing call, and the Vikings kicker missed a XP grade FG.

Granted under old rules it probably doesn't end in a tie but it should never have went to OT to begin with. 

Just now, oldschool said:

I know... the OP is complaining about the change of getting both teams the ball.

Which is silly, since in both ties neither team actually hit a FG.

I do hate ties though.  I think they should just play until someone wins it.  I like the rule that you have to score if you get the ball first, but then just finish the game.

Just now, scine09 said:

Which is silly, since in both ties neither team actually hit a FG.

I do hate ties though.  I think they should just play until someone wins it.  I like the rule that you have to score if you get the ball first, but then just finish the game.

I don't like the 10 mins rule.

2 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

Sudden Death OT was just fine the way it was before. Ties were extremely rare and it didn't need fixing, contrary to popular opinion.

The thought that winning the coin toss automatically meant winning the game was complete bullshit. If you can't play defense, you deserve to lose.

Now that both teams almost always end up with at least one possession in OT and they shortened it to 10 minutes, there are two ties in two weeks.

I'm fairly positive this is the first time since 1974, when they started with regular season overtime, that there have been two ties this early in the season.

Wrong. It happened in week 1 and 2 of last season.

35 minutes ago, japan said:

I'm fine with ties.  Why is it an issue?  Not like it affects betting or something.

Over under is one way.

If the over under is 41 and tied at 20, someone has to score to win, the over is gold. With a tie, the under wins.

Also, if a team is favored by 2.5, if it can't end in a tie, someone has to at least score a safety. But it's likely to be a FG or TD. So if the favorite kicks that FG because it can't end in a tie, the favorite wins whereas the underdog wins to it ending in a tie.

Not all cases, but some.

But I agree. Nothing wrong with ties. Win the game.

On 9/16/2018 at 7:11 PM, oldschool said:

I know... the OP is complaining about the change of getting both teams the ball.

On 9/16/2018 at 7:13 PM, oldschool said:

I don't like the 10 mins rule.

6 years isn't that long ago considering they first came up with playing regular season overtime games almost 45 years ago.

My point is that the combination of both rules is now causing more ties, and I won't be at all surprised if there is a 3rd (or 4th) tie later on this season.

Archived