FO's Quick Reads Titans Commentary

CreepingDeath

1 hour ago, CreepingDeath said:

I get how they do their statistics... but the fan in me wants to scream how great Walker is and the Colts most likely keyed their defense on him throughout the game.  

Did you see the replay when he was held while being triple teamed?

1 hour ago, CreepingDeath said:

I get how they do their statistics... but the fan in me wants to scream how great Walker is and the Colts most likely keyed their defense on him throughout the game.  

Walker is one of those players(much like Casey on the defense) where his impact isn't best understood just by reading a stat sheet. His ability to draw coverage, his fantastic sealing blocks, etc don't show up on the stat sheets as positives for him.

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Did you see the replay when he was held while being triple teamed?

Another one of those that had it been the other way would likely have been called on us. Thinking about several calls this year including the J Smith one on Walker long TD.  You're going to have some go for and against on average sure, but this year it seems more tipped against.

Jets probably feel like they are on that list too.

8 hours ago, chef said:

Another one of those that had it been the other way would likely have been called on us. Thinking about several calls this year including the J Smith one on Walker long TD.  You're going to have some go for and against on average sure, but this year it seems more tipped against.

Jets probably feel like they are on that list too.

looking forward to the robotic refereeing of the future. 

9 hours ago, titanruss said:

looking forward to the robotic refereeing of the future. 

Thought about that forever, with mostly same result.  If you had a theoretically perfect officiating system in a sport like football where it's pretty easy to imagine at least one if not more than one minor foul per almost every play, how would things shift?  Likely, you'd see a two-fold result.  Players would have to alter their play styles to fit, but which might result in some other issues (no holding on OL at all = bad O), likely leading to further rule changes (like "OK,  you can hold a little").

Secondly, the system would probably be set up to let minor infractions pass, much along the concept of a cop not pulling you over going 59 in a 55 zone.  Next thing you know, everyone is going 59.  So if the system let a little pass interference slide, you'd see a little PI on every play.  When there is an advantage in following the letter of the law or at least the loopholes that allow you to take advantage vs following the spirit of the law,  advantage pretty much smacks the crap out of spirit 9 times out of 10 when it comes to things like business competition.  

34 minutes ago, chef said:

Thought about that forever, with mostly same result.  If you had a theoretically perfect officiating system in a sport like football where it's pretty easy to imagine at least one if not more than one minor foul per almost every play, how would things shift?  Likely, you'd see a two-fold result.  Players would have to alter their play styles to fit, but which might result in some other issues (no holding on OL at all = bad O), likely leading to further rule changes (like "OK,  you can hold a little").

Secondly, the system would probably be set up to let minor infractions pass, much along the concept of a cop not pulling you over going 59 in a 55 zone.  Next thing you know, everyone is going 59.  So if the system let a little pass interference slide, you'd see a little PI on every play.  When there is an advantage in following the letter of the law or at least the loopholes that allow you to take advantage vs following the spirit of the law,  advantage pretty much smacks the crap out of spirit 9 times out of 10 when it comes to things like business competition.  

Yeah I think you'd limit calls. Things would be more a range than an on/off. 

Also, you could math out the probability of someone having an impact on a play and be able to eliminate a lot of trash backside calls. 

Id worry about them being hacked though. And you could easily program a bias and claim it's fair. 

Maybe it is is a slippery slope. Maybe not. But maybe that 59 in a 55 is ok but 60

isnt. 

3 hours ago, titanruss said:

Yeah I think you'd limit calls. Things would be more a range than an on/off. 

Also, you could math out the probability of someone having an impact on a play and be able to eliminate a lot of trash backside calls. 

Id worry about them being hacked though. And you could easily program a bias and claim it's fair. 

Maybe it is is a slippery slope. Maybe not. But maybe that 59 in a 55 is ok but 60

isnt. 

That's true.  Never fully considered hacking or programming bias, probably as my original thoughts on it date back to watching the Cyclops at Wimbledon in 1980.  

I assume you'd also still have to have some sort of booth review humans in play no matter what, so if say Ray Lewis pulled out a .45 and shot some RB but the computer was not programmed to recognize that as Unnecessary Roughness. 

9 hours ago, chef said:

That's true.  Never fully considered hacking or programming bias, probably as my original thoughts on it date back to watching the Cyclops at Wimbledon in 1980.  

I assume you'd also still have to have some sort of booth review humans in play no matter what, so if say Ray Lewis pulled out a .45 and shot some RB but the computer was not programmed to recognize that as Unnecessary Roughness. 

Realistically ball placement at this point should already 100% be computerized. Zero td questions about getting in, first downs, out of bounds, even ball control(still spinning/ loose when the knee was down,etc) those are all possible right now and actually utilized in many sports. 

The issue, like you said, would be more subjective stuff. PI calls, holding, Getting shot, talking shit to our robot overlords, etc

I think replay actually hinders the officials by making them less decisive, especially this don't blow the whistle on anything that even comes close to a turnover bullshit. Also the vast majority of the time when they replay a play when a ref is in position and makes the decisive call, they're proven right. Bring in younger full time well trained refs who can get into the right place at the right time and make decisive calls and just line up and play the next play. 

Archived