Redskins Will Be Making Big Mistake If They Let Cousins Go

MIKE75

If the Redskins don't sign QB Kirk Cousins to a long term extension by July 15th,2017 then this upcoming season will be the last one in Washington for Cousins.

If the Skins do not plan on keeping Cousins after 2017 then they are gonna put themselves out of the QB race in the 2018 draft because they will be competitive and win too many games.

I personally think Cousins is a good QB and they would have to start all over looking for a QB if they don't sign him which is crazy because its not easy to find a good QB just ask Cleveland,NY Jets,Houston,San Francisco,Chicago,L.A. Rams,etc.

The Redskins were 7-25 in 2013 and 2014 with RG3 as the leading QB. Cousins takes over in 2015 and 2016 and the team makes the postseason and went 17-14-1.  A 10 game improvement.

Some will say Cousins is not that good of a QB but the results speak for themselves......

2016 categories and how Cousins fared.....

– 4,917 yards were 3rd most in the NFL.
– 406 completions was the 3rd most in the NFL.
– 307.3 Yards/game was the 3rd most in the NFL.
– 97.2 Quarterback rating was the 7th best

Also he led the NFL completing 70% of his passes in 2015.

In 2015/2016 Cousins stats were 785 of 1150 good for 68.5% completion rate,9083 yards, 54TD and 23 INT, 99.4 QB rating

The above 2015/2016 numbers above are top ten numbers for a QB so the Skins in all honesty would be crazy to let him walk.

IF they do let him go Cousins will very likely end up being with the 49ers in 2018.

I've been watching pro football since 1985 which is thirty two years ago. I've seen a lot and i can tell when teams get a new head coach/GM and a reboot whether or not the starting over will work out or not. The San Francisco 49ers in my opinion are heading in the right direction and it won't be long before they are a force. Their former HC Chip Kelly/GM Trent Baalke were replaced by Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch.

You could not ask for a better start than the one Shanahan and Lynch have had,

Lynch has told the story of originally wanting Reuben Foster as their pick at #2 and they decided to draft DE Solomon Thomas instead. Then toward the end of the first round Lynch couldn't believe his great fortune and luck that Foster was still available so Lynch worked the phones to find a way to trade up and they did with Seattle so with that pick they selected Reuben Foster.

Lynch was already happy from an earlier trade having traded down just one single spot from #2 to #3 in the process gaining an extra 2017 third and fourth round pick as well as a 2018 third round pick. Also the 49ers brought in QB Brian Hoyer who was having his best season as a pro in Chicago the year before along with WR Pierre Garcon as well as LB Elvis Dumervil on defense.

If the Skins let Cousins go the 49ers will have him in 2018 rather than them having to draft a new QB. My gut feeling is the 49ers will end up signing Cousins and he will be reunited with Shanahan who is outstanding when it comes to offenses. After all his last gig with Atlanta ended at the Super Bowl.

Six out of nine years Shanahan offenses were top ten in either points or yardage so thats impressive. If Shanahan lands Cousins there is no doubt the two together will put up high numbers.

30 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I don't think it's a disaster for the Redskins if they let Cousins go. He's an Andy Dalton level QB. He's above average but he struggles big time to read defenses and isn't as accurate as his numbers IMO

And whos the QB if he leaves?

20 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

You're looking at $20 million + per in a long time commitment for Kirk Cousins.

Teams can get out of these deals after 2 years or so.

This is year two of already paying him around 20+ mill, it will be 35 mill next year if he's franchised

3 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

They go on to look for one again like most of the NFL. Not sure how it's much different to if Dalton left the Bengals or Taylor left the Bills

Cousins and Dalton are way better than Taylor.

The Skins without Cousins are one of the worst teams in the league, it would be a total disaster

Just now, OILERMAN said:

Cousins and Dalton are way better than Taylor.

The Skins without Cousins are one of the worst teams in the league, it would be a total disaster

They'd likely still have won 6 or 7 games last year. The supporting cast was absolutely elite and it's a one read system for a QB. Just my opinion but I really don't see how someone could sit down and watch Kirk Cousins and be overly impressed. Unless it's just the numbers

21 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

They'd likely still have won 6 or 7 games last year. The supporting cast was absolutely elite and it's a one read system for a QB. Just my opinion but I really don't see how someone could sit down and watch Kirk Cousins and be overly impressed. Unless it's just the numbers

He's been franchised two years in a row and SF with Shanahan are sitting and waiting for him to hit the market.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Cousins has them over a huge barrel, huge mistake for the Skins to let it get to this point

Its all on Bruce Allen. McGloughan wanted to resign Cousins for the going rate at 20M 2 years ago and Allen pitched a fit. They've tied up an absurd amount of guaranteed money paying him the franchise tag rate the past few years to the point its a running joke in the city.

58 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

one read offense? lol. Its a classic west coast offense with a few wrinkles. Just because the ball comes out quick doesn't mean it's a one read offense. 

13 minutes ago, oldschool said:

one read offense? lol. Its a classic west coast offense with a few wrinkles. Just because the ball comes out quick doesn't mean it's a one read offense. 

Multiple NFL analysts including Andy Benoit share the idea that it's a one read offense where the the reads are defined.

Archived