Living in Boston

TheChosenTitan

22 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I have no idea about Maine.  I just know how Boston sports fans are in general.  They've never lost a legit game before.  It's always the umpires/referees fault.  The rest of the country is out to get them.  They all are model franchises and everyone cheats but them.  They do things the right way.  All of their rivals do it the wrong way.  Their franchises are what's good about sports.  It's an elitist attitude that a lot of the fans have.  And had well before the Patriots won their first title.

Hey guys, Boston fan here.. came over to see the prevailing thoughts about the upcoming game, Butler discussion etc.

Couldn't help but notice this thread. 

Having read countless forums across all 4 major sports I've come to one conclusion: Apparently no team, in any sport, at anytime has won a legit game before, because after every single game in every sport, you will find fans of the losing team complaining about the umps/refs/calls/no calls/bias/broadcasters.. Boston fans are in no way unique in this aspect.

Now I fully admit that Boston fans on a whole are a proud and sometimes overly arrogant bunch. We also have some plain old jerk0ffs that I can't stand. But we also have a lot of knowledgeable and respectful sports fans, a fact that often gets overlooked in the "Boston fans are aholes" narrative established in this country. I think Boston fans are mostly like any large fanbase out there (Yankees, Steelers, Cowboys, Philly etc.. ) - a mixed lot. Some respectful/knowledgeable, some casual, some diehard, some scumbags, some morons etc. 

I just wanted to put it out there that a lot of Boston fans are not nearly the national stereotype that's been created. I know people love to hate on the accent (many of us don't have it fyi) and some of the other stereotypes (can't really stand Chowder btw), but liked I said we're not the cretins some will have you believe.. Mostly just regular sports fans that love our teams...

A couple of years ago my girl had great time in Nashville, came back raving about it - would definitely love to check it out some day. 

Anyways, here's to a good game without injuries... Happy you guys brought on Vrabel, good luck (except hopefully Sunday)... oh yea, Fk the Colts ;) Jags too

Oh yea, please don't associate the Boston sports media with any of us if you can... we all hate them more than you could ever imagine.  Have a good one Titans.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then he would never talk again.

Was he the guy who picked up 11 of 14 first downs or who stripped Dak Prescott or who picked off Dak Prescott in the end zone?   Boston fans are some of the worst in the country at their ove

My family is watching the Pats news on TV and they said Dion Lewis single handily carried us to a win. This is why I can’t stand these bums on local news that doesn’t watch any other team besides the

7 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I never said they didn't have spurts of living in the cellar, but you saying they had some elitist attitude before 2001 is comical because no shit they did, they had A LOT of other championships and winning seasons to lean on

in 2001?  They were a middle to bottom of the barrel sports city.  In fact the lowest point that city had likely ever reached was the day that Bledsoe got hurt.  The Red Sox were in turmoil and had a poor season.  People honestly thought the Patriots may not win a game or would win very few when that injury happened.  And the Celtics and Bruins were not competitive and had both missed the playoffs. 

I'd equate it to where Detroit is right now as a city with their teams.

@scine09, if the Knicks started dominating similar to the all time great dynasties and you had a bunch of assholes start opening their mouth about that specific team would you be surprised why they still were assholes before that current dynasty?

Of course not, city-wide sports history matters when it comes to elitist attitudes

Edited by wiscotitansfan

2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

in 2001?  They were a middle to bottom of the barrel sports city.  In fact the lowest point that city had likely ever reached was the day that Bledsoe got hurt.  The Red Sox were in turmoil and had a poor season.  People honestly thought the Patriots may not win a game or would win very few when that injury happened.  And the Celtics and Bruins were not competitive and had both missed the playoffs. 

Pretty much... those were definitely lean years.. when the Pierce/Walker Celtics are the best team in town, you're in rough shape

2 minutes ago, BostonFanHere said:

Hey guys, Boston fan here.. came over to see the prevailing thoughts about the upcoming game, Butler discussion etc.

Couldn't help but notice this thread. 

Having read countless forums across all 4 major sports I've come to one conclusion: Apparently no team, in any sport, at anytime has won a legit game before, because after every single game in every sport, you will find fans of the losing team complaining about the umps/refs/calls/no calls/bias/broadcasters.. Boston fans are in no way unique in this aspect.

Now I fully admit that Boston fans on a whole are a proud and sometimes overly arrogant bunch. We also have some plain old jerk0ffs that I can't stand. But we also have a lot of knowledgeable and respectful sports fans, a fact that often gets overlooked in the "Boston fans are aholes" narrative established in this country. I think Boston fans are mostly like any large fanbase out there (Yankees, Steelers, Cowboys, Philly etc.. ) - a mixed lot. Some respectful/knowledgeable, some casual, some diehard, some scumbags, some morons etc. 

I just wanted to put it out there that a lot of Boston fans are not nearly the national stereotype that's been created. I know people love to hate on the accent (many of us don't have it fyi) and some of the other stereotypes (can't really stand Chowder btw), but liked I said we're not the cretins some will have you believe.. Mostly just regular sports fans that love our teams...

A couple of years ago my girl had great time in Nashville, came back raving about it - would definitely love to check it out some day. 

Anyways, here's to a good game without injuries... Happy you guys brought on Vrabel, good luck (except hopefully Sunday)... oh yea, Fk the Colts ;) Jags too

Oh yea, please don't associate the Boston sports media with any of us if you can... we all hate them more than you could ever imagine.  Have a good one Titans.

The thing I miss the least about living in Boston are the accents.  And I live very close to Mass right now.  But it's amazing that once you leave, even to go a state away, you notice just how obnoxious they are when you return.  I ever even noticed them when I grew up.  For example, I was watching the weather one night and couldn't understand how anyone could listen to him.  And it's a weatherman I grew up listening to and didn't even notice he had an accent.

As far as the media, I think they've gone soft.  Aside from Dan Shaughnessy there's a bunch of fan boys.  A lot of that has to do with winning but it's not the same as it used to be.

4 minutes ago, scine09 said:

That's actually a really fair comparison because Pistons/Red Wings/Tigers.... But pair the North East attitude along with easily one of the best sports cities in history matters

Edited by wiscotitansfan

1 minute ago, wiscotitansfan said:

That's actually a really fair comparison because Pistons/Red Wings/Tigers.... But pair the North East attitude along with easily one of the best sports cities in history matters

It just wasn't one of the best in history at that time.  It had one of the best franchises in the history.  But in 2001 it was no way one of the best in history.  

Now?  Obviously that's changed.

2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

The thing I miss the least about living in Boston are the accents.  And I live very close to Mass right now.  But it's amazing that once you leave, even to go a state away, you notice just how obnoxious they are when you return.  I ever even noticed them when I grew up.  For example, I was watching the weather one night and couldn't understand how anyone could listen to him.  And it's a weatherman I grew up listening to and didn't even notice he had an accent.

As far as the media, I think they've gone soft.  Aside from Dan Shaughnessy there's a bunch of fan boys.  A lot of that has to do with winning but it's not the same as it used to be.

Gotta disagree about the media.. Most of them play the contrarian BS game to rile up the natives (the ones that still fall for it)... No win is ever good enough, trashing the fans, most viewpoints are about why this team will lose or why they're not as good as their record.. the Boston media on a whole roots AGAINST the teams... I know its not like that across most of the country

1 minute ago, BostonFanHere said:

Gotta disagree about the media.. Most of them play the contrarian BS game to rile up the natives (the ones that still fall for it)... No win is ever good enough, trashing the fans, most viewpoints are about why this team will lose or why they're not as good as their record.. the Boston media on a whole roots AGAINST the teams... I know its not like that across most of the country

Aside from Shaughnessy who doesn't buy Kraft's BS what other writer roots against the teams?  I don't follow it like I used to but it seems to be that they're a bunch of Dale Arnolds.

4 minutes ago, scine09 said:

It just wasn't one of the best in history at that time.  It had one of the best franchises in the history.  But in 2001 it was no way one of the best in history.  

Now?  Obviously that's changed.

Whatever, we just disagree then. You're completely discounting the history of all the individual franchises wayyy too much. The Patriots didn't have much at that point but the Bruins, Red Sox and Celtics were still one of the most storied franchises in their leagues at the time. Not as dominant but having that history matters, I don't know why you think it's just about the Ws that creates an elitist attitude.

It's more the North East probably because places like Chicago aren't as bad, but they absolutely have the history to lean on in addition to just being dicks

Edited by wiscotitansfan

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

Aside from Shaughnessy who doesn't buy Kraft's BS what other writer roots against the teams?  I don't follow it like I used to but it seems to be that they're a bunch of Dale Arnolds.

Nah, Dale is pretty much the exception to the rule now.. Felger, Mazz, Bertrand, Borges, Adam Jones.. hell even Lou Merloni and Christian Fauria (former Boston athletes) have turned heel... they've all become contrarian DB's... sadly it works when you look at the rating$

1 minute ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Whatever, we just disagree then. You're completely discounting the history of all the individual franchises wayyy too much. The Patriots didn't have much at that point but the Bruins, Red Sox and Celtics were still one of the most storied franchises in their leagues at the time. Not as dominant but having that history matters, I don't know why you think it's just about the Ws that creates an elitist attitude.

Fans in Boston have always expected championships.  Nothing less.  And there's certainly nothing wrong with that.  But 3 of the 4 teams weren't giving these fans any reason to have the attitude that they did based on expectations.  And trust me no one cares about what these teams did in the 40s or even the teens.

1 minute ago, BostonFanHere said:

Nah, Dale is pretty much the exception to the rule now.. Felger, Mazz, Bertrand, Borges, Adam Jones.. hell even Lou Merloni and Christian Fauria (former Boston athletes) have turned heel... they've all become contrarian DB's... sadly it works when you look at the rating$

Merloni?  Really?  I don't listen to Boston sports anymore but he always struck me as a homer.  Felger's not a local guy so I'll give you him.

I don't know enough about the others as I haven't listen to any of them enough.  

You can't forget Mike Adams if he's still around.  Probably the biggest homer aside from Dale Arnold in the history of homers.

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

Merloni?  Really?  I don't listen to Boston sports anymore but he always struck me as a homer.  Felger's not a local guy so I'll give you him.

I don't know enough about the others as I haven't listen to any of them enough.  

You can't forget Mike Adams if he's still around.  Probably the biggest homer aside from Dale Arnold in the history of homers.

Mikey got canned a few years ago... wanna guess why?

The Boston sports media game has changed, even Dale has gotten tougher on the teams... controversy and contrarian HAWTTAKEZ, like espn and the national sports media are what get ratings.. stupid.. which is why I mostly listen to music nowadays.

21 hours ago, KingTitan8 said:

My family is watching the Pats news on TV and they said Dion Lewis single handily carried us to a win. This is why I can’t stand these bums on local news that doesn’t watch any other team besides the pats. 

Lewis had a great game but did he score 3 tds and convert 11/14 3rd downs or made the game saving pick at the time. This is what I have to deal with 

Great city,  terrible fans. I was treated very rudely at the playoff game last year. Dog cussed in the parking lot after the game was over, harassed during the game by a drunk guy who kept intentionally screaming "Lewan you suck" loudly right in my ear", saw multiple fights at the concessions, crowd out of control trying to get into the heated bar, pushing from behind and knocked this poor woman down in front of me and she was about to get trampled until I turned around and yelled at the idiots behind me who were pushing. It sucked. I went to the game by myself so that was probably my first mistake.