Preds Talk

NashvilleNinja

Awesome win tonight! 9th straight, most in franchise history. Rinne also gets his 7th shutout of the year, 50th shutout overall. And to top it off the new kid on the block, Hartman, scored go-ahead goal. So welcome to Smashville, Hart. Great home debut effort from him.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:46 AM, Downtown said:

Preds are a damn machine right now! I just hope we haven’t peaked too early. 

I don't think they've peaked yet. 10 straight wins and counting. With Josi on the bench for the last 4. This team is deep and built for a deep run.

How has the defense looked? Obviously the offense has been great but has Rinne been having to have great games for the defense to look great?

IMO the only thing (which I have absolutely no clue of even) that is keeping them from a unanmious shoe-in of being best team in the NHL is if their defensive lines can hold up and limit shots against playoff offenses. So legitly curious since I will need to start following them more closely since Rangers are quickly becoming eliminated this season.

3 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

How has the defense looked? Obviously the offense has been great but has Rinne been having to have great games for the defense to look great?

IMO the only thing (which I have absolutely no clue of even) that is keeping them from a unanmious shoe-in of being best team in the NHL is if their defensive lines can hold up and limit shots against playoff offenses. So legitly curious since I will need to start following them more closely since Rangers are quickly becoming eliminated this season.

I don't know about the defensive line as a whole, but Rinne is tied with Vasilevskiy for most shutouts at 7 for the year, is 2nd with 37 wins, 5th in saves percentage (.928), and 6th for goals against average (2.28).

6 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I don't know about the defensive line as a whole, but Rinne is tied with Vasilevskiy for most shutouts at 7 for the year, is 2nd with 37 wins, 5th in saves percentage (.928), and 6th for goals against average (2.28).

Yeah, that can be misleading though because Rinne is likely just that good (or at least has been the past 1.5 years). I guess I can check out shots against, which also doesn't really tell the tale since quality of shot is not involved, compared to other goalies in the NHL but the Rangers would have a stud and some good support and then be very mediocre for the rest of the defense but Lundqvist was just so damn good that at the end of the day it made the defense seem elite which was far from the case.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

25 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Yeah, that can be misleading though because Rinne is likely just that good (or at least has been the past 1.5 years). I guess I can check out shots against, which also doesn't really tell the tale since quality of shot is not involved, compared to other goalies in the NHL but the Rangers would have a stud and some good support and then be very mediocre for the rest of the defense but Lundqvist was just so damn good that at the end of the day it made the defense seem elite which was far from the case.

I'm not qualified to say whether or not they've actually been playing good defense. I mean, during their last road trip they won all their games but they were fairly high scoring games. And a few of them required overtime. But there's something to be said about finding the grit to come back in those games.

I don't think the Predators would tell you they've been firing on all cylinders but they've been very good hockey as far as I can tell.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/three-reasons-the-nashville-predators-should-absolutely-be-stanley-cup-favorites/

On 3/9/2018 at 11:51 AM, wiscotitansfan said:

The defense is stout and deep. They are one of the reasons Rinne is having a great year. (Rinne is 5th in save % .928) The Preds are #2 in the entire league in fewest goals allowed 173 (1 goal behind Boston) and they are #1 in the league in goals allowed per game average (2.46 with league average being 2.90), . They are also 7th in the league in goals scored so they have great balance. What is most impressive in my opinion, is their depth. They are able to rest guys like Josi, Fisher, Turris Forsberg and not miss a lick. They also have a very good road record which bodes well for the playoffs.They only have 7 regulation road losses. They have the 2nd best points differential in the league (a +49).  They are also top 5 in games won by 1 goal. They are consistent and they have great team chemistry. Top 5 teams in my opinion are Preds, Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, Vegas, Boston. 2nd tier is Washington, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Dallas.

On March 16, 2018 at 0:58 AM, NashvilleNinja said:

So, how will losing Jarnkrok affect them the rest of the way?

http://wkrn.com/2018/03/15/predators-forward-calle-jarnkrok-to-miss-rest-of-regular-season/

This won't hurt alot at all. We have serious depth at Forward now. This is exactly why we loaded up and Calle will be back for playoffs.