Jaylen Samuels - Human Swiss Army Knife

Tomachek

1 hour ago, Rolltide said:

Who said that about Faulk? He was taken with the 46th pick! Faulk had over 5000 all purpose yards at LSU. 

Samuels is "inargueably" the better athlete-- especially given his size:  http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jaylen-samuels?id=2559930

HEIGHT:  Faulk 5'8" | Samuels 6' 5"

WEIGHT: F  205  | S  225

40 Dash: F  4.57  | S  4.54

VERT:      F  34   | S  34.5

BROAD:   F  114  | S  121

20 SHUT F  4.09  |  S  4.28

3 CONE   F  7.14  |  S  6.93

Seems like Samuels edges out Faulk on the athleticism chart despite being quite the larger man. 

From the report: "BOTTOM LINE...  Some may see Samuels as a valuable hybrid talent, while others may see a player who offers roster flexibility but lacks a position where he can win consistently. Samuels isn't a tight end and has to prove he can handle blocking duties well enough to be a fullback. He will, however, appeal to teams looking to disguise their attacks with more diversified personnel groupings. Samuels best fit may be with a zone-scheme team as a RB/FB with the ability to play slot receiver and become a core special teamer."

I'm not pounding the table for round 1 or 2 or maybe even 3. He just seems like a kid who has the knack to get it done. We've all seen the bone-headed super athletes who have no feel for the game.

9 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Samuels is not 6'5. He is 5'11 1/2.  

Not according to the profile I linked from NFL.com. Even at just under 6 feet he's a bigger man with slightly superior athleticism than a guy taken in Round 2 some years earlier who had a long career. He has his own impressive set of stats to bring to the table.

14 hours ago, Soxcat said:

I got it.  We can put 5 RBs out on the field at one time.  Look at all those weapons.  

In truth, why even bother taking a guy like Samuels in the 4th round or earlier at all?  I don't see it.  So many other options.

There are options at every selection. He seems like an impactful, versatile player which would seem to be a characteristic valued more than ever in our draft room. Some guys just get it done; he seems to be one of those guys.

38 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I'm warming up to the kid.  I like the fact he isn't some 5'6, 185 pound guy but he plays like a smaller guy with his quickness and speed but also can pound the ball if needed.  Actually has some Delanie Walker in him although a little shorter.  Could be a 4th TE, 3rd RB, FB, STs and seems to play the zone scheme real well.  I'd take him in the 4th round.

I see the Delanie Walker comparisons albeit smaller. I started to make it but I figured you'd just give me shit!

16 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Don't let me or anyone else giving you shit stop you from posting your opinion.  Your smarter than 90% of these nit wits anyway.

I just get tired of the critical nature of this place. Everyone hates an opinion that differs from their own. The hate the networks that bring us football. They hate all the commentators. They hate the coaches. All because, I suspect, they think they could do better-- which is a fine idea to cling to but you don't have to trample over everyone else to believe that. Just try to have fun with it....

On 2/27/2018 at 9:51 PM, Bongo59 said:

He is my top RB.  200 catches in college.  I love him. 

On 2/28/2018 at 2:58 PM, Bongo59 said:

I think he is going to be drafted 25-40.  I doubt he gets past NE.  

Looks like he made it past NE. 

• 3 months later...