Week 3 Thoughts - Better Lucky than Good

code

1. There was a lot to hate about that game, but the only thing that mattered is the final scoreboard.  Win and move on.

2. Thought Arthur Smith got beaten by Mike Zimmer. Thought we got a little cute with the play calling and it almost bit us in the ass. The Umpires end around that wanted to be a pass at a time in the game when Henry was really exerting himself was not my favorite call. Of course if it worked, brilliant. But, it didn't.  

3 JRob looking like the most stylish man in Nashville for hanging on to Gostkowski after week 1.  It was a shades of Al Del Greco game for all of us former Oiler fans. Or a throwback to Fisherball with the reliance on the FG. Impossible to enjoy it. Who wants to rely on 3 50 yard field goal efforts from a PK, but again, it worked.

4. Dalvin Cook is good, but we made him look like Gayle Sayers. I said it last week and it repeated itself again this week, Austin Johnson looks like he really is missed. Or Jurrell Casey. And Jurrell Casey. Jeffrey Simmons is a stud. But we aren't setting an edge worth a crap.

5. Jonathon Joseph is smart and physical and made two big plays in this game producing turnovers. But he is also a giant liability when he has to try to match up on the outside one on one. We miss Adoree and I think we may miss Logan Ryan just as much.

6. Thought it was far less than Tannehill's best game as a Titan. The interception was probably on the WR for not getting underneath the DB, but why in the Paul Kuharsky are we forcing a ball to Nick Ihane Kalani Aloha (sorry, forgot his real last name).  Thought there were many times when it was clear that the Vikings were putting 8 in the box and running a safety towards the LOS and we didn't check out of the run play giving Henry no place to go.

7. Henry was pissed on the sidelines after that last drive and I thought rightly so. He was a getting 5+ per pop at that time. A little faith would have come in handy. 

8. Still not a huge return on the Clowney/ Beasley signings. I think far too early to judge. The Clowney penalty was a killer, but in truth, he was just playing football as he was taught as a kid. It was a legit flag, but it was certainly not dirty. And the 15 yard flag on Simmons on the last drive was straight up nonsense. 

That's really all I have. Thought we should have won that game far more easily than we did. Thought the game plan would have featured far more Davis and Smith.  Glad to see Evans on the field, though obviously to no impact. 3-0 is the right spot to be in given the next few weeks are going to be much more difficult. Better to win a game we likely should have lost rather than to lose a game we should have won.

1 minute ago, code said:

Son, you missed the old days when I would go on for weeks with each post. But you might want to work on that attention deficit disorder. Reading is fundamental.

It's not even that long.  It's no MIKE75 novel.

I agree with most of the points, BTW.

1 minute ago, code said:

Son, you missed the old days when I would go on for weeks with each post. But you might want to work on that attention deficit disorder. Reading is fundamental.

I wasn’t knocking you. It’s just that my buzz manifested itself as stop sign when I clicked on the thread. It’s all good. 

I don't think the problem with run defense in this game was the interior at all. The force defenders on the edge seemed to constantly be out of position. I noticed Clowney doing a great job of it at times, but the play would go away from him. I saw Landry mess it up a few times as well. I gotta see the all 22 to really see what was happening though. Also seemed like the cutback defender wasn't staying home, something the Vikings may have picked up on film. 

Archived