Sign in to follow this  
Cyrus

2013 Mock Draft Final Version

1. Kansas City Chiefs - Central Michigan OT Eric Fisher:

With the Chiefs shopping Albert, it's very likely they make room for another offensive tackle. Fisher looked phenomenal at the senior bowl and has more athleticism and upside than Joeckel. 

2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Oregon LB Dion Jordan

The Jaguars have a lot of options here with cornerback, defensive tackle and rush end all possible considerations. With Knighton moving on in Free Agency it makes sense for the Jaguars to add another defensive tackle early but there's better depth at that position for the Jaguars in the second round than rush backer. Jordan has a number of athletic traits that should translate well to rushing the passer in Bradley's system.

3. TRADE. Miami Dolphins (From Oakland Raiders) - Texas A&M Luke Joeckel:

After losing former first overall pick Jake Long in free agency the Dolphins have a hole at OT. There's the possibility that Jonathan Martin slides over to LT but after a poor performance the Dolphins can't be particularly confident. The Dolphins have extra ammunition after trading away Vontae Davis to the Colts and the Raiders will likely give any team looking to trade up good value. Luke Joeckel is one of the safest picks in the draft..

4. TRADE. Atlanta Falcons (from Philadelphia Eagles) - Alabama CB Dee Milliner:

The Falcons have been an aggressive organization in the past and as a team in contention they're still looking for some more difference makers to push them over the top. Dee Milliner is a safe pick and pro-ready. While he may not have the upside as some other corners, he's a good target for any team trading up. The Eagles on the other hand are likely re-making their team under innovative coach Chip Kelly. They have a collection of talent, but could use additional picks to find more "scheme fits".  

5. Detroit Lions - BYU DE Ezekiel Ansah:

The Lions have a strong need at offensive tackle and defensive end. With Fisher and Joeckel off the board, they would likely add Ansah who would be a very solid fit on their defensive line. The Lions are very familiar with Ansah after the Senior Bowl and might be the most comfortable with him out of every other team.

6. Cleveland Browns - LSU LB Barkevious Mingo:

The Browns added a solid rusher in Kruger but still lack a difference maker. Mingo is a blue-chip caliber player and would likely be the best pick available for the Browns.

7. Arizona Cardinals - Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert:

The Cardinals are one of the hardest teams in the draft to mock for. Lane Johnson is a popular pick here but for whatever reason the organization seems to believe in Levi Brown. Perhaps the Chargers trade up to this point and take Johnson but there may not be a need to based on the teams picking ahead of the Chargers. The Cardinals have Housler but not much else at tight end. Eifert is a dynamic player who has Top-15 value. In this draft, that's enough to get you picked Top-10. 

8. Buffalo Bills - West Virginia QB Geno Smith: 

The Bills are taking a quarterback and I think they feel comfortable with Barkley or Geno. Consequently, I expect them to call other team's bluffs and sit tight at 8. Chances are good Smith falls to them at 8.

9. New York Jets - Georgia LB Jarvis Jones

The Jets have needed a pass rushing linebacker for some time. There have been questions about Jarvis Jones' athleticism but there's a real possibility that Jones reminds Rex Ryan of Suggs who feel due to questions of his athleticism. 

10. Tennessee Titans - Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes:

The Titans could go a number of directions here, particularly on defensive line, but I think that Rhodes offers them something they don't have. Rhodes can play press-bail very well and has tremendous physical attributes. His floor is lower than some other cornerbacks, but if the Titans put him in a position of success he could develop into a blue-chip corner. Rhodes is similar in many ways to former FSU cornerback Antonio Cromartie. 

11. San Diego Chargers - Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson:

After releasing Jared Gaither, the Chargers are set up to take an offensive tackle. With a franchise quarterback in Philip Rivers, the Chargers need to make pass protection the absolute priority. Lane Johnson is still "developing" but has the requisite athleticism to be a very good left tackle.

12. TRADE. Oakland Raiders (from Miami Dolphins)- USC QB Matt Barkley:

I believe in Barkley's talent and the Raiders have a strong need at quarterback. I don't buy the idea that the Raiders see Flynn as a long-term solution.. Barkley is a pro-ready quarterback who is ready and able to steady the ship for an organization in flux. Barkley had a poor year his senior season when the Trojans struggled on offensive line, but the mistakes that followed are not intrinsic to Matt Barkley as a prospect. Barkley has underrated intangibles and would be a fine quarterback for the organization. 

13. New York Jets (from Tampa Bay Buccaneers) - West Virginia WR Tavon Austin: 

TE Tyler Eifert would have been an option here, but with him off the board Austin is a consideration. I'm not in love with Austin as a prospect based on his size, but the Jets needs some firepower and have supposedly expressed a lot of interest in Austin. The GM and coordinator changes make the Jets hard to project, but there's no doubt that Austin would be a good fit with Sanchez. 

14. Carolina Panthers - Utah DT Star Lotulelei

The Panthers have needed some additional talent at defensive tackle for some time. Lotulelei gives the Panthers needed size at the interior. At this point, he provides the most value at a position of need.

15. TRADE. San Francisco 49ers (from New Orleans Saints) - Texas S Kenny Vaccaro:

The 49ers lost Dashon Goldson in free agency and only added Craig Dahl. With a gaping hole at safety the 49ers move up to get Vacarro who has a lot of versatility and is an interchangeable safety. 

16. St. Louis Rams - Missouri DT Sheldon Richardson:

This is a perfect fit. I think Richardson may go higher than this and at one point I had the Rams trading up for the talented defensive tackle. Richardson is the ideal player to play 3-Tech for Fisher and would be an excellent fit next to Brockers. In my opinion, Richardson may be one of the few blue-chip pass rushers in the draft.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Florida DT Sharrif Floyd

Sharrif Floyd is somewhat reminiscent of Fletcher Cox but is notably less athletic. He has experience at DE and DT and could be a very good fit as a 34DE. The Steelers need some youth defensively and Floyd would be a good fit. 

18. Dallas Cowboys - Alabama OG Chance Warmack:

The Cowboys really need help on offensive line and are set at left tackle. Warmack allows the Cowboys to get back to a balanced offense with Murray running the ball. Adding a dominant guard will also help keep Romo upright by solidifying the left side of the line. Even though some may believe Warmack to be the best prospect in the draft, I can't see him going that high. Personally, I think there's some holes in his game hat are under stated due to the fact that Warmack is a likable prospect with some outstanding traits.

19. New York Giants - Florida State DE Bjoern Werner:

Werner would be an excellent fit and value here for the Giants who love to continue to add talent on their defensive line. 

20. Chicago Bears - North Carolina DT Sylvester Williams

Sylvester Williams is overshadowed a bit by some of the other defensive tackles in the class, but there's no doubt that he's a first round caliber DT with a complete game. He's an excellent character player as well with a great story that will help teams get behind him. 

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Alabama OT D.J. Fluker:

With Andre Smith gone and a free agent, the Bengals could look to replace him with a mauling RT. Fluker lacks foot quickness but has so much size and length that he can still get his hands on defensive ends. 

22. St. Louis Rams - Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson:

Jeff Fisher covets athletes and has at times, been willing to pull the trigger on players with red flags. Patterson is tremendous with the ball in his hands but carries risk as a player with unrefined abilities. 

23. Minnesota Vikings - Tennessee WR Justin Hunter

There's a strong possibility that Hunter goes high than this (even as high as 11 to the Chargers) but his injury and inconsistency may push him down. He would be a great fit and value here for the Vikings who still have a need at receiver. Further, Hunter would be a great complement to Jennings who will likely play the Z for Minnesota.

24. Indianapolis Colts - Georgia LB Alec Ogletree

The Colts were highly aggressive in free agency and I wouldn't be surprised if they took some chances in the draft as well. Ogletree is an incredible physical talent with loads of question marks. He will be a moldable piece of clay for Colts. He could play a number of positions and there's a possibility he could even become a pass rusher in time. 

25. Minnesota Vikings (from Seattle Seahawks) - Notre Dame MLB Manti Te'o:

Te'o never was a potential Top 10 pick and the off-field issues aside, he's a quality football player. I thought he had value in the late first last year, and it shouldn't change now. He would be a very good fit for the Vikings here and will help a quality starter for years to come. The Vikings could wait on the position, but there's really not much talent at 43 MLB in this class.

26. Green Bay Packers - North Carolina OG/C Jonathan Cooper: 

The Packers desperately need offensive line help. Cooper brings the ability to play Center or Guard and has the athleticism to be a complete player. Most important though, he may be the best pass protecting guard and would be a huge help to Aaron Rodgers.

27. Houston Texans - Kansas St. ILB Arthur Brown:

The Texans could take a receiver here but they have continually devalued them. That could easily change this year but with the depth of this class and the desire for a #2 receiver they could afford to wait. Arthur Brown could be a stand out 34ILB and the Texans owner has openly talked about the 34ILB position being one of need.

28. Denver Broncos - UCLA DE Datone Jones:

The Broncos could go a few directions here, but Datone Jones is a good fit here to replace Dumervil. Jones had an excellent Senior Bowl and played with violent hands during practices. He would be a good fit here for the Broncos and good value as well.

29. New England Patriots - LSU S Eric Reid:

The Patriots have a strong need at safety despite signing Adrian Wilson. By adding Reid the Patriots allow McCourty to go back to cornerback. Eric Reid has inconsistent ball reaction (instincts) but is a phenomenal athlete and a physical hitter.

30. TRADE. Philadelphia Eagles (from Atlanta Falcons) - Florida State QB E.J. Manuel

The connection between the Eagles and E.J. Manuel has persisted for months. Manuel is an athletic quarterback who has the character and intelligence to succeed. He can be inconsistent at times, but could be a great fit into Kelly's quick paced offense. 

31. TRADE. New Orleans Saints (from San Francisco 49ers) - Florida State OT Menelik Watson

The Saints are in desperate need for an OT and Watson could develop into a consistent pass blocker in time. He's a very good athlete and Brees quick decision making can mask any potential weaknesses in Watson while he develops. 

32. Baltimore Ravens - Florida S Matt Elam:

After cutting Benard Pollard, the Ravens have a need at the safety position. Elam isn't valued very highly because of his lack of size, but he's an instinctive safety with good movement skills and is an explosive hitter. He would be an excellent fit in their system and has plenty of value here.

If it falls this way through 9 picks, Miami should just call us and swap 10 for 12. They get Lane Johnson at 10 ahead of San Diego at 11 and instead of Luke Joeckel and save the premium that was paid by trading all the way up to 3. We still get XRhodes (or Warmack or Cooper or TAustin) or even more trade-backs.

If we g o CB or G at 10 we need to fire the entire FO.

I like Coty Sensabaugh a lot and could see him as an eventual starter, but why would a CB at 10 be that horrible? Verner isn't the long-term solution at outside corner and unless the Titans feel 100% confident in Sensabaugh then cornerback is an arguable need. Rhodes has unique size/athleticism and blue-chip potential. He has a different skill-set from most other corners in the draft.

I would hope that we try to trade out in that situation with Johnson still on the board, teams would want to snatch him before Chargers or Dolphins get to him.

Its damn near impossible to project trades...

But they're going to happen so what can you do? I'm 99.9% sure the Raiders trade down. I'm also near positive the Saints trade down as well, while the 49ers and Falcons are bound to trade up.

I would hope that we try to trade out in that situation with Johnson still on the board, teams would want to snatch him before Chargers or Dolphins get to him.

Who though? The Dolphins have the ammunition to move up to #3 and take Joeckel or Fisher. (i don't think the Jaguars take an OT - but could). The Saints have a need at LT but don't have the picks to move up. The Cardinals could easily take Lane Johnson but they've been consistent in their support of Levi Brown. (which could be fluff). 

But they're going to happen so what can you do? I'm 99.9% sure the Raiders trade down. I'm also near positive the Saints trade down as well, while the 49ers and Falcons are bound to trade up.

I don't think Falcons have enough ammo, and I think the most likely trade the Raiders engage in is a swap of picks with the Lions.

I like Coty Sensabaugh a lot and could see him as an eventual starter, but why would a CB at 10 be that horrible? Verner isn't the long-term solution at outside corner and unless the Titans feel 100% confident in Sensabaugh then cornerback is an arguable need. Rhodes has unique size/athleticism and blue-chip potential. He has a different skill-set from most other corners in the draft.

Because none of the cbs in this draft are worth a top 15 pick. None of the cbs are special. They are all flawed. You take a cb that high they better not have issues like these do.

Because none of the cbs in this draft are worth a top 15 pick. None of the cbs are special. They are all flawed. You take a cb that high they better not have issues like these do.

What potential pick at 10 doesn't have a flaw though? Floyd, Richardson and even Lotulelei all have their own questions.

What potential pick at 10 doesn't have a flaw though? Floyd, Richardson and even Lotulelei all have their own questions.

And they are all better prospects and better at their positions than the CBs are.

And they are all better prospects and better at their positions than the CBs are.

They're all Top 15 in value. I do think that Richardson has Top 10 value. Lotulelei is more 43NT and may not be a great fit. Floyd is fairly overrated from my view.

I personally like Rhodes a great deal but if you don't like him then it's a futile argument.

Without a doubt you know more about the players in this draft than anyone here, but I think you may have over thought this mock, at least when you start predicting trades like Atlanta going up to 4 to get Milliner, but no guts, no glory.

That's why I'm leaning guard or Austin. The guards are probably the closest to flawless we're going to see this year (not saying they're flawless) and Austin can be the most dynamic even if it's just as a short route WR or return guy and thus he's got a high floor imo. If Patterson wasn't such a project, he'd be my top guy.

I don't like the DTs and i don't think the Titans are seriously considering any of them especially w/ who they have and what they want to do w/ them. I think the DEs/LBs will be gone and I just don't see anything from Milliner or Rhodes that makes me think high 1st rounder. They're not the shut down guys that you want out of the top 10-15 at corner. I put them just a step above Werner to be honest. Solid but not special.

I actually lean toward Mingo or Jordan before a corner but I think they'll be gone. I'd put Vaccaro up there too just b/c his ability at safety is much better than Milliner or Rhodes as corners.

Edited by reo