Alex Smith to be Traded to Chiefs

Cyrus

You can't choose not to play the game when it comes to drafting quarterbacks. Very few teams get away with trading/signing FAs when it comes to finding the franchise quarterback. Giving away the 34th pick for Alex Smith sounds like an organization that feels like they continue to sit on the sideline and not play the QB lottery. Chief fans shouldn't have to deal with the mediocrity any longer.

Win or lose, the Titans were smart to draft Jake Locker 8th overall. You don't have a choice as a GM, you have to play the game.

Too many generalities in this post. Doesn't take into account Smith as a player and KC's current situation.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think it's a great move by KC. Alex Smith may not be all that and a bag of chips, but he has proven that, with the right coaching staff and an NFL-caliber offense, he can be prod

"What we really need is another guy of Cassel's quality."

Carson Palmer... heck, Ricky Williams...

Soxcat and nine are right. Alex Smith isn't exactly an All-Pro but he's shown capable of putting up exceptional numbers and providing consistent solid play in the right system. He is much more of a sure thing than any of the QBs in the draft, and KC clearly don't like any of them. Moving forward with the QBs they have is essentially punting on the season, which a new regime can't afford to do. I disagree that they need to "play the lottery"--as an organization they need to do due diligence, I'm sure they scouted this year's QBs and didn't like any of them. It would be ridiculously stupid to draft a QB that you don't have faith in simply because you need a QB.

Too many generalities in this post. Doesn't take into account Smith as a player and KC's current situation.

It absolutely takes into account Smith as a player and KCs current situation. Their situation is that they don't have a quarterback and Alex Smith isn't a very good one. The 34th pick as Jonboy stated, is basically a first round pick in this year's draft. He's either a longer-term solution or they way overpaid. There's really no in between here.

You can't choose not to play the game when it comes to drafting quarterbacks. Very few teams get away with trading/signing FAs when it comes to finding the franchise quarterback. Giving away the 34th pick for Alex Smith sounds like an organization that feels like they continue to sit on the sideline and not play the QB lottery. Chief fans shouldn't have to deal with the mediocrity any longer.

Win or lose, the Titans were smart to draft Jake Locker 8th overall. You don't have a choice as a GM, you have to play the game.

I completely disagree. You can't force the drafting of a QB just because the need is there. Also bringing up Locker is laughable. He clearly wasn't ready to play and unless he makes a complete turn around, it was a waste to spend the 8th pick on him.

It absolutely takes into account Smith as a player and KCs current situation. Their situation is that they don't have a quarterback and Alex Smith isn't a very good one. The 34th pick as Jonboy stated, is basically a first round pick in this year's draft. He's either a longer-term solution or they way overpaid. There's really no in between here.

I definitely think they overpaid. But what would you have them do? There were no other serious options in free agency for them to consider and the 49er's knew that. They took advantage of the opportunity.

Either the Chiefs take a pretty decent QB that has shown he can do well with the right coaching staff, or they take a gamble on a QB in the draft that will most likely need a year or two minimum to be up to par. If they miss on a drafted QB, they'd be looking at several more years of mediocrity anyway.

This is definitely the right move for the Chiefs. Besides, who says they won't draft another QB later in the draft and mold him like the 49er's did with Kaepernick?

Edited by Stranger

I completely disagree. You can't force the drafting of a QB just because the need is there. Also bringing up Locker is laughable. He clearly wasn't ready to play and unless he makes a complete turn around, it was a waste to spend the 8th pick on him.

Should the Dolphins have "forced" the pick with Matt Ryan? They took the "consensus" top pick in the offensive tackle and now 5 years later they're wondering if they're even going to re-sign him. My views on drafting QB is very different and particular from the rest of the draft process for other positions. Trying to constantly find the answer to your franchise quarterback in the free agency and trade market is generally a loser's game. You can win from time to time but your odds are still better in the draft if you can find a guy that fits your system.

The Chiefs would have been better off signing Matt Moore and drafting a quarterback. Even if they're a third or fourth round pick from a smaller school (like Dysert). You have to keep trying to get your guys through the draft.

I could generally agree with an argument that all teams should either have an elite QB, have a guy developing who has potential to at least get close, or be drafting the next great hope. The trick is distinguishing who qualifies for the second part. For me, Alex Smith doesn't fit the bill. I'd say this trade suggests they think he does.

For that reason, I'd agree with Cyrus that the trade is blah.

That's insane. The 34th pick is worth a lot in this draft. I hate to judge the new front-office in Kansas City off this one move but looks like they're doomed for failure. I doubt they last 3 years.

But you've got to look at their options. Alex Smith makes it so they can get that first pick right, and not waste it on say Geno Smith.

I would also add that, unlike the aforementioned high-profile QB trades in recent years (Cutler, Palmer, Schaub), Smith has shown the ability to win games both the regular season and in the playoffs.

I wouldn't consider him a great QB by any stretch...and if there was an Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin in this draft, then we're not even having this conversation.

The Chiefs carefully examined every option that was available to them, including draft, trade, free agency, and current roster. And considering the alternatives, I think the Chiefs' decision to trade for Smith was absolutely the best move they could have made for the next 3-5 years.

Beyond that, who knows what will happen.

I would also add that, unlike the aforementioned high-profile QB trades in recent years (Cutler, Palmer, Schaub), Smith has shown the ability to win games both the regular season and in the playoffs.

I wouldn't consider him a great QB by any stretch...and if there was an Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin in this draft, then we're not even having this conversation.

I'd argue he's shown far more inability than ability, and his ability was showcased on a loaded team that did better without him... but I'm low on Smith.

Apart from that, I do get what you're saying... I'm just not there with you on who Smith is.

The 49ers are robbing the Chiefs on that deal. The chiefs would be better off taking a chance on a young project at QB and letting Cassel start for another year if it doesn't work out. Hell, they are in the perfect situation to take a chance on a guy like Tyler Bray.

Im going to laugh real hard if Geno Smith had a good season/career.

But would you be willing to bet the #1 overall pick and millions of dollars on Geno Smith?

The Chiefs obviously weren't sold on any of the QB prospects in this draft....so rather than using the #1 overall on a player they didn't believe in, they chose to trade for Smith, and will use the #1 pick to solidify their roster in other areas.

Only question that matters: Is Alex Smith going to make you a perennial contender for the Super Bowl? If no, then he's just a false hope. Better to take the unknown and have the possibility of finding the guy who can take you there then taking a known quantity that won't.

And yes, I realize that the 49ers went to NFC Championship with Alex Smith. Look at the rest of his career though. It's not very good. It's not as horrible as it seemed at the time, but it's not good. There's a resume there.