Episode 42 - No Offense to Loggains

TitansGuru

Since I mentioned it on the podcast, teams that went run, run, pass on third to start the game:

Cowboys
(penalty negated first play into a no play): First down converted

Atlanta
: First down converted

Baltimore

Arizona

Tennessee
: Punt

San Francisco
: Punt

Other teams who ran on the first two plays:

Carolina
: First down on second play

Oakland

Pittsburgh
: Fumble on second play

Kansas City
: Third running play converted first down

St Louis

Green Bay
:
First down on second play

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is usually the way it always is when either of these two are involved this just happens to have both posting making it more dull than usual.

Hahahaha. I don't have the best track record with predictions. I was bound to eventually get one right. Thanks for listening.

I appreciate your statistical and analytical approach to the game @Jamalisms but I think sometimes we enter a forest from the trees type scenario. As a whole, there was a lack of urgency in the passin

So Romo, Ryan, Flacco and Lindley converted and Locker and Kaep didn't. Except for Lindley there is almost a trend there. Too small of a sample size though to really say much about it... Maybe over a season but that's a lot of games to go through.

So Romo, Ryan, Flacco and Lindley converted and Locker and Kaep didn't. Except for Lindley there is almost a trend there. Too small of a sample size though to really say much about it... Maybe over a season but that's a lot of games to go through.

Not a big enough sample size and I'm not going through the games, correct.

If it was bad teams converting, the argument would be that only stupid, losing teams do this. It's a no win.

b/c I'm not talking about converting 1st or 2nd down (not short). I'm talking about getting completions.

Just getting a completion on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 10 even if it's a short 2-3 yard gain or a screen that goes no where, is a much more favorable situation than getting a short completion on 3rd and short out of the spread when the defense is looking for a short pass.

3rd and short is a favorable down for the offense anyway you slice it. The entire playbook is wide open.

3rd and short is a favorable down for the offense anyway you slice it. The entire playbook is wide open.

Exactly. It may be good to question why we ran the play we ran (and that guy got fired) but the situation itself is just fine.

The last time Napoleon and I went three rounds, I won the only round that mattered. The others I volunteered for the less popular side and still came close to winning. It's like literally fighting with one hand behind your back and you barely lose... not the end of the world.

Prag, Rocky wins.

I appreciate your statistical and analytical approach to the game @Jamalisms but I think sometimes we enter a forest from the trees type scenario. As a whole, there was a lack of urgency in the passing game and lack of rhythm until very late in the game. Based on the ebb and flow of the game it certainly felt like the Titans should be passing earlier and more often based on how the situation was unfolding yet the Titans continued to run the ball on early downs.

I understand that 3rd and short are favorable down and distances but not when they're so clearly telegraphed as passing plays and within the context of the game come at moments when there's zero rhythm in the passing game. Playcalling is an art, not a science and it seemed clear last week that Palmer was completely out of touch with what was happening on the field.

Not a big enough sample size and I'm not going through the games, correct.

If it was bad teams converting, the argument would be that only stupid, losing teams do this. It's a no win.

The argument would seem to be that young QBs generally need some easy completions to work them into the game plan (Locker, Kaep) instead of only coming to them when the pressure is on on 3rd down. The majority of the QBs that converted were vets (Romo, Ryan, Flacco).

People always say the playbook is wide open but then people bitch if they go deep... sometimes even if they get it. The defense will be watching the short stuff more closely especially early since those are the easier completions. Then you get wanting a young QB to either thread the needle into coverage on a short throw or complete a long throw on their first pass or 2 of the game.

Or you could make a short completion on 1st and 10 or 2nd and long-medium when the defense is backed up and not watching the short throw.

Edited by reo

I appreciate your statistical and analytical approach to the game @Jamalisms but I think sometimes we enter a forest from the trees type scenario. As a whole, there was a lack of urgency in the passing game and lack of rhythm until very late in the game. Based on the ebb and flow of the game it certainly felt like the Titans should be passing earlier and more often based on how the situation was unfolding yet the Titans continued to run the ball on early downs.

I understand that 3rd and short are favorable down and distances but not when they're so clearly telegraphed as passing plays and within the context of the game come at moments when there's zero rhythm in the passing game. Playcalling is an art, not a science and it seemed clear last week that Palmer was completely out of touch with what was happening on the field.

I appreciate you appreciation and encourage you to consider that you can always find a flaw when looking at each individual leaf and acting like it represents the entirety of a tree.