The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

The relevance of the show plummeted.  The rewatchability is extremely low now.  The importance of Jon's parents is insignificant.  Him being the PtWP doesn't lead to him being "the one" to end the WW threat nor rule the 7 kingdoms.  Read someone's comment that if Jon had stayed dead, the WW couldn't get passed the wall (no dragon) and Dany would have taken Kingslanding easily with all three dragons.

I have a couple GoT t-shirts that I think twice before wearing because I'd rather not have to talk about the show and how it ended with strangers.

2 hours ago, CreepingDeath said:

The relevance of the show plummeted.  The rewatchability is extremely low now.  The importance of Jon's parents is insignificant.  Him being the PtWP doesn't lead to him being "the one" to end the WW threat nor rule the 7 kingdoms. 

The problem with the focus of power on lineage, as Tyrion illustrated, is that children of rulers tend to be cruel at times. Jon being named king simply because he's a Targaryen would have been just more of the same. It's why they began choosing leaders instead of having them born.

Not all purpose means ultimate power or ultimate conquer in battle. I've seen it said that it wasn't the WWs who were the greatest threat to mankind but actually Daenerys. Jon is the only one who could have gotten close enough to her at that point and the only reason for that was because he is a Targaryen. Drogon would not have let anyone else past that point.

So no, his lineage is not insignificant. Arya may have saved Westeros from the WWs, but it was Jon who ultimately saved the whole world.

Personally I didn't like the outcome... I would have preferred it if Tyrion had been revealed as a Targaryen. Idk why she chose to have Tyrion imprisoned instead of executed. But she could have had Drogon roast him and he not burn from it. Would have made for an epic moment in the show.

Things didn't even need to change in the ending much for that reality. Tyrion would renounce the crown, Dany returns to Essos and Daario, but on the back of Drogon instead of in his claw. Jon goes beyond the wall, but of his own volition instead of being exiled there. Grey Worm and the Unsullied go to Naath, Sansa declares the north a separate kingdom, Arya sails west, and Bran is chosen to be king.

14 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

The problem with the focus of power on lineage, as Tyrion illustrated, is that children of rulers tend to be cruel at times. Jon being named king simply because he's a Targaryen would have been just more of the same. It's why they began choosing leaders instead of having them born.

Not all purpose means ultimate power or ultimate conquer in battle. I've seen it said that it wasn't the WWs who were the greatest threat to mankind but actually Daenerys. Jon is the only one who could have gotten close enough to her at that point and the only reason for that was because he is a Targaryen. Drogon would not have let anyone else past that point.

So no, his lineage is not insignificant. Arya may have saved Westeros from the WWs, but it was Jon who ultimately saved the whole world.

Personally I didn't like the outcome... I would have preferred it if Tyrion had been revealed as a Targaryen. Idk why she chose to have Tyrion imprisoned instead of executed. But she could have had Drogon roast him and he not burn from it. Would have made for an epic moment in the show.

Things didn't even need to change in the ending much for that reality. Tyrion would renounce the crown, Dany returns to Essos and Daario, but on the back of Drogon instead of in his claw. Jon goes beyond the wall, but of his own volition instead of being exiled there. Grey Worm and the Unsullied go to Naath, Sansa declares the north a separate kingdom, Arya sails west, and Bran is chosen to be king.

I can appreciate this as the story.

The execution of the events still was lacking.  :(

Either the showrunners or GRRM decided to take a story/script that was based in historical reality, including the grittiness, brutality and intrigue and spun it into something politically correct.

As a result, there's a lot of people like myself who are done with it.

I had intended to buy the series on BluRay/DVD to preserve it for on-demand watching, but the end was way too disappointing to invest that much time in the run-up.

1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Either the showrunners or GRRM decided to take a story/script that was based in historical reality, including the grittiness, brutality and intrigue and spun it into something politically correct.

As a result, there's a lot of people like myself who are done with it.

I had intended to buy the series on BluRay/DVD to preserve it for on-demand watching, but the end was way too disappointing to invest that much time in the run-up.

I have seasons 1-5 (might have 6, but can't remember because I know I haven't rewatched it).  I won't be buying 7 or 8 (though 7 had a few badass moments like the "loot train attack" and blowing up the sept with that kickass music).

5 hours ago, CreepingDeath said:

I can appreciate this as the story.

The execution of the events still was lacking.  :(

No disagreement there. They needed at least three 10-episode seasons to pull off what they were trying to pull off. The fact they condensed all of that into essentially 1.3 seasons was incredibly stupid and hurt the story tremendously.

Maybe the actors were burned out, but I'm guessing B&W were anxious to get it out of the way so rhey could focus on Star Wars.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:15 PM, CreepingDeath said:

I have seasons 1-5 (might have 6, but can't remember because I know I haven't rewatched it).  I won't be buying 7 or 8 (though 7 had a few badass moments like the "loot train attack" and blowing up the sept with that kickass music).

It is, however, the only way you can actually watch the Battle of Winterfell without the HBO broadcast compression making it too dark to see.

Or just pirate it like... um... some people...

Edited by Starkiller