OILERMAN

The Game of Thrones

Number9   
1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Then again, the whole bringing him back from the dead thing and the prophecy and all that has me rethinking it.

Jon was my pick from the very start, but he got stabbed.  The HBO Series decided to bring him back, so it kind of nullifies figuring anything out.  Hell, they might  have Ned sit on the Iron Throne.

9 Nines   

I have only watched season 7.  I think I know everything happening but since there were 6 other seasons, I am wondering if I might have missed some details. Was there much to miss in those earlier seasons? 

Justafan   
9 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Jon was my pick from the very start, but he got stabbed.  The HBO Series decided to bring him back, so it kind of nullifies figuring anything out.  Hell, they might  have Ned sit on the Iron Throne.

I don't think so.  They dropped enough hints and led you far enough along that most people saw him coming back.  Yes, they deliberately confuse things enough that it's impossible to really guess EXACTLY how this thing will end but there are only a few threads left that really make sense. 

OILERMAN   

Tyrion being the Hand to the King makes sense. Brienne in the Kingsguard makes sense too since she was knighted(Sansa Queen?). 

Jon makes the most sense being the King since he doesn't want it. 

I still think Arya kills Danny or dies trying. 

Grayworm is a question mark

18 minutes ago, oldschool said:

? what does that have to do with anything? Killing Ned 20 years ago in book 1 is not the same thing as killing off the two primary characters in the last chapter. To starkiller's point a few pages ago, clearly Ned wasn't a main character.

He isn't a main character now.  He was a (the?) main character in the first book.  Most POVs in the first book interacted with Ned - all except Dany.  Ned's actions affected everyone (including Dany since he was against her assassination).  He wasn't a tertiary character that was important in the role of Westeros.  In the 1st book and 1st season, he was a main character.  

However, if you are looking at the entire series, sure.  But it's like saying Earl Campbell isn't a main character to the Oilers/Titans franchise since he's retired.  

3 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

He isn't a main character now.  He was a (the?) main character in the first book.  Most POVs in the first book interacted with Ned - all except Dany.  Ned's actions affected everyone (including Dany since he was against her assassination).  He wasn't a tertiary character that was important in the role of Westeros.  In the 1st book and 1st season, he was a main character.  

However, if you are looking at the entire series, sure.  But it's like saying Earl Campbell isn't a main character to the Oilers/Titans franchise since he's retired.  

I cant... Ned was killed in book 1. Jon and Dany if they are killed will make it all the way to book 7. You cant begin to compare the importance of Ned to either Jon or Dany at this stage. The earl reference is even more ridiculous. Dany and Jon didnt come into play in book 6. 

29 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Jon going north would mirror Gandalf and everyone leaving at the end of LoTR. That's the strongest evidence, in my mind, that it'll happen.

Not if he is Aragorn...

32 minutes ago, oldschool said:

That would fit the tragic ending in my opinion. Obviously the white walkers had to be defeated so they aren't germane to the discussion on how the story ends. 

It’s all going to depend on GRRM's definitions of tragic and bittersweet. I agree that Jon dying likely would go to far to be bittersweet, but if his death brings peace to Westeros then maybe not?

Just now, Starkiller said:

It’s all going to depend on GRRM's definitions of tragic and bittersweet. I agree that Jon dying likely would go to far to be bittersweet, but if his death brings peace to Westeros then maybe not?

It's an option but I have a hard time believing even GRRM would kill both protagonists in the series. Of course wouldn't it be hysterical if he already killed Jon off and the show brought him back? 

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

I cant... Ned was killed in book 1. Jon and Dany if they are killed will make it all the way to book 7. You cant begin to compare the importance of Ned to either Jon or Dany at this stage. The earl reference is even more ridiculous. Dany and Jon didnt come into play in book 6. 

Is the Hound a main?  He’s been around with speaking lines since the beginning. His role was extremely minor for most of the story. 

Mom not arguing that Jon and Dany aren’t the main characters, simply that the collection of main characters changes. 

Just now, CreepingDeath said:

Is the Hound a main?  He’s been around with speaking lines since the beginning. His role was extremely minor for most of the story. 

Mom not arguing that Jon and Dany aren’t the main characters, simply that the collection of main characters changes. 

Jon and Dany were the series' main characters from the start. Along with Tyrion, Sansa, and Arya. 

Ned was meant to look like a main character, but in reality he wasn’t. His role was to be a supporting character. He was the catalyst that drove the story. 

3 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Jon and Dany were the series' main characters from the start. Along with Tyrion, Sansa, and Arya. 

Ned was meant to look like a main character, but in reality he wasn’t. His role was to be a supporting character. He was the catalyst that drove the story. 

Yes. 

For the series as a whole. 

Season/book 1 he is the main character. 

Just now, CreepingDeath said:

Yes. 

The point was for Ned to seem like the main character. He was misdirection. He had to die to drive the storyline for his kids.

25 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

Yes. 

If you are only around for season 1/8 or book 1/7 you arent a "series" main character.