OILERMAN

The Game of Thrones

6 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Yara mentioning the Iron Islands as a fallback location has to mean that will actually come into play, right? 

Perhaps the Night King actually wrecks them and the survivors have to retreat to the Iron Islands? Would put them much closer to King's Landing too.

I think that’s just a good excuse for the writers to send her off to retake her home while Theon goes back to Winterfell to shoot dragonglass arrows at white walkers.

51 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Yara mentioning the Iron Islands as a fallback location has to mean that will actually come into play, right? 

Perhaps the Night King actually wrecks them and the survivors have to retreat to the Iron Islands? Would put them much closer to King's Landing too.

Said as much on Twitter last night. Just seemed obvious once it was said. Having them win in the first go-around would be a waste. I'm expecting a regroup and panic before the answer.

Dany's personality is interesting in that they've just made her into an implacable wall of walking entitlement. And she makes no apologies, doesn't care to discuss it and will simply kill you. Her comment about Sansa having to accept her was telling. But they've drawn battle lines for Sansa, Arya, the North and even Sam. Sam is the most interesting one there, as it seemed somewhat forced while also being an interesting point about mercy. 

I find the North's inherent resistance to Dany to be kind dumb but it's 100% fine if that's the route they go and they do it well. Just seems obnoxiuous that some families are going to suddenly go it alone in protest. I'm not overly interested in catty women fighting over stupid shit.

The episode had nothing wrong with it but it was still disappointing, simply in that it means there's only five real episodes and six wasn't enough. So much is sped up. I just don't 'get' why they shortened the last two seasons.

It would be interesting if Sansa or others change their views on leadership over Jon's birth. I had just assumed that Bran already told them.

8 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

The episode had nothing wrong with it but it was still disappointing, simply in that it means there's only five real episodes and six wasn't enough. So much is sped up. I just don't 'get' why they shortened the last two seasons.

They didn’t shorten the ending. They extended what would have been the last (7th) season from the normal 10 1-hour episodes  to 13 episodes that average more than an hour over 2 seasons. 

Honestly they could have made it 20 1-hour eps over 2 seasons, but either way it was extended, not cut.

They announced 8 seasons years ago. They announced shortened seasons long after.

But don't let that get in the way of the wall of defense.

MadMax   
21 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

I'll be interested to see if Cersei generally wins the final scheming but then Arya comes in at the end like Mark Whalberg waxing Matt Damon in ... whatever that movie was.

The Departed.   One of my all time faves.

22 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

They announced 8 seasons years ago. They announced shortened seasons long after.

But don't let that get in the way of the wall of defense.

They announced an 8th season because they wanted to wring an extra year of subscriptions out of people. That doesn’t change the fact that each season has roughly equaled 1 book. I have no doubt they always planned to make the last 2 seasons fewer than 10 episodes each regardless of when they made that public knowledge.

Its like when WB decided to make 2 movies out of the last Harry Potter book. Or when New Line thought the Hobbit could be stretched to 3 movies. This was a financial decision made by the bean counters, not a decision made by the creative team.

Jonboy   

Pulled this from reddit. These are the characters who will almost certainly have some sort of on-screen resolution to their arcs. Should be interesting to keep track of these characters and how their conflicts are resolved as the series comes to a close. The number in parentheses is the episode appearances.

1. Tyrion (63)
  2. Cersei (60)
  3. Dany (58)
  4. Jon (58)
  5. Sansa (56)
  6. Arya (55)
  7. Jaime (51)
  8. Jorah (50)
  9. Theon (45)
  10. Sam (45)
  11. Varys (43)
  12. Brienne (39)
  13. Davos (38)
  14. Bran (37)
  15. Bronn (36)
  16. Hound (36)
  17. Missandei (35)
  18. Pod (32)
  19. Edd (31)
  20. Tormund (29)
  21. Grey Worm (29)
  22. Melisandre (28)
  23. Gilly (24)
  24. Qyburn (21)
  25. Gendry (20)
  26. Mountain (18)
  27. Yara (15)
  28. Beric (10)
  29. Euron (7)
  30. Harry Strickland (new this episode)

Gilly and Melisandre did not appear in S8 E1. Brienne and Pod were only seen in the background to other scenes.

There are roughly 7 other that have played supporting role; although, there's a chance we don't hear from any of them again.

• Daario (21)
  • Edmure Tully (8)
  • Jaqen (17)
  • Meera (16)
  • Hot Pie (12)
  • Archmaester (4)
  • Howland Reed (2 flashbacks)