OILERMAN

The Game of Thrones

Somedude   
2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

So is Bronn going to (try to) kill Tyrion and Jamie? Or is he going to join them? He has been all about gold and titles thus far, but is his friendships with the Lannister brothers going to overcome that?

Nope.

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Zero chance Bronn kills either of them, imo

Agreed

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

I think it's a spear with one end as dragonglass and her dagger attached to the other end.

Well she did look like she was wielding a double bladed staff at one point in the season trailer, so maybe.

But this appeared to have a dragon glass tip that slid into the end. That seems unnecessary for a double ended spear. And the dagger would be easier to use as a dagger.  

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Yep. Kinda surprised with it being the final season. I think most of us could have predicted everything that happened in this episode. It was nice to get the reveal to Jon out of the way early. I think the only thing that was kind of unexpected was the Night King leaving the symbol behind. Clearly there's a reason for it if they're showing it this late. I enjoyed all the parallels back to season 1, but was kind of disappointed with the amount of setup given how little time we have left. 

I really think they should have made 7 episodes like they did for season 7, but the last four episodes are going to be on par with 5, maybe 6 episodes from any season 1 through 6.

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

As things progress, we should start to be able to piece together more of the ending. Essentially, everything we see is mostly likely important now. Hrere are the main characters left and what they chose to focus on...

Jon- Learns the truth, but doesn't want to accept it. Trying to hold everything together and keep everyone focused on the goal of defeating the Night King. Loves Dany, but is most likely starting to entertain the idea he'd be a better ruler. 

Primary goal: Save humanity

Dany- Clearly focused on winning over the north and Sansa. Nothing really of interest from Dany in this episode. It was more about everyone's reactions to her. As interesting as it was to see Jon's reaction to the news about his parentage, it will be even more interesting to see Dany's reaction. She's definitely not going to like the fact that she isn't the rightful heir to the throne...and yet, she's not the last Targaryen as she'd always believed. 

Primary goal: Win the throne.

Jon won't want to rule... he's the only one who seems to step backward from the role. It's not that he won't do it if he's put in position to do it, but it's not anything he seeks out or wants to entertain. Go back to last season during his walking conversation with Sansa. When she offers him praise that he's good at ruling he disdains the praise. Whether that's just insecurity or an actual dislike of the job, it's clear he'd rather be out in the woods hunting than in town dealing with everyone's politics.

Dany is definitely going to have a problem with it and probably won't believe it at first... until she starts thinking about it. Who the hell else would her dragons allow to climb on top of them? She probably already knows, subconsciously at least, that there's a deep connection with Jon. But consciously/intellectually she'll need a bit of time to absorb the info. Unfortunately, she's not going to be allowed that time.

Btw... do we think it's time to start calling him Aegon instead of Jon?

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Arya- Still loves Jon, but made it clear this is about family. Gonna be really interesting to see how she handles Jon not being a Stark.

Primary Goal: Protect her family

Sansa- Nothing too unexpected from Sansa here. Obviously isn't thrilled with Dany or Jon bending the knee. Focused on the practical matters like feeding the armies.

Primary goal: Protect her family/the north.

Arya definitely wants to protect her family, but considering the arrival of Jaime (remember she was eyeballing the hell out of him at The Twins before she sliced Walder Frey's throat) and the knowledge that Cersei falsely promised to send an army will definitely inform her path after the battle with the dead is done, assuming she survives and depending on who else survives along with her. She will certainly want to resume her quest to stick a needle in Cersei's eye.

Sansa... for whatever reason I have to wonder if she and Cersei will wind up in the same general vicinity of each other at some point this season. She wants to protect her family/the north, but how much of that will be left? Would she march south with any remaining army in order to fight Cersei?

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Bran- Wasted no time getting the news to Jon. Dude seems to know everything at this point and is trying to have everyone in place to fulfill their purpose. What was up with his line about "waiting for an old friend?" He has to be talking about Jaime. Normally you'd just say it was sarcasm, but this new version of Bran doesn't seem like the sarcastic type. Perhaps he truly considers Jaime a friend since he set him on the path of becoming the three-eyed raven.

Primary goal: Defeat the Night King?

Jaime- Didn't see him much, but I thought it was interesting how brown his hair was at the start of this episode. They're making him look less like a Lannister which has to be intentional. Really looking forward to seeing that scene with Bran next week. My hunch is Bran is actually going to thank him. The fact that Bran was waiting specifically to talk to him tells me he has a very important role to play going forward. 

Primary goal: Still attempting to atone for past sins.

I don't think the line "waiting for an old friend" is sarcasm, but I don't think it holds any actual importance. Bran knows the truth about Jaime and at least has a sense of his true destiny if he doesn't know it outright. The reason he was sitting there waiting for him is because he knows that if he wasn't Jaime was probably getting a knife to the throat not long after that. Bran is literally Jaime's backstage pass.

As for Bran... he's going to have a role to play in defeating the Night King. He may wind up warging into one of the dragons, or maybe even warg into another person. Who knows if that's possible though.

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Cersei- She seems gleeful at the idea of the Night King weakening her enemies. She's now assembled her army although she's disappointed there aren't more of them (and that they don't have elephants). She has to be hoping Jon/Dany win, but are significantly weakened. Then she keeps her throne. One of two possibilities on the final shot of her tearing up and holding her stomach: did she lose the baby or is she just fearing for its life? 

Primary goal: Survive and keep the crown.

I don't think she was ever pregnant in the first place. I believe it was her way of manipulating both Jaime, after his secret meeting with Tyrion, and Tyrion when he came to talk with her after the big sit down in the dragon pit. I don't know why she seemed to tear up about it... maybe she's just feeling alone since she has none of her family around anymore and the talk of children is just a painful reminder that she has no more children. But I don't think she was ever pregnant.

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Overall, they really drove home the importance of family, oaths, and allies. I've always wondered how the final season would balance the fight against the army of the dead and then the remaining fallout. GRRM has often talked about his disappointment with the end of LOTR and how there was very little about Aragorn's rule, how he resolved the remaining issues throughout Middle Earth, etc. 

I'm really starting to think the Night King threat is going to be resolved sooner rather than later. The final episode (or two even?) will focus on what's left. This is probably where the "bittersweet" ending comes in and our favorite characters will be pitted against each other and forced into some difficult decisions. They've planted the seeds for Dany and Jon to be co-rulers, but is that what we'll actually get?

My guess is the army of dead goes down sometime in the first 4 episodes...then the final episodes turn into classic GoT with some of our favorite characters backstabbing one another on their way to obtaining and keeping power.

The Night King threat is going to be resolved in the 3rd episode. It's the most logical place for it. I believe that episode is the longest one of the whole season at an hour and 22 minutes and there is still some set up to happen in episode 2, which would run counter to their claim in the EW articles that an entire episode would deal with the fight against the dead. Maybe part of the resolution starts at the end of episode 2 though.

Nztitans   
58 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

As for Bran... he's going to have a role to play in defeating the Night King. He may wind up warging into one of the dragons, or maybe even warg into another person. Who knows if that's possible though

Or a dragon. What did the three eyed raven say way back in the first book? (maybe. It’s been years since I’ve read them) you will never walk again but you will fly. So probably one of Dany’s unless he can warg into the undead one 

6 minutes ago, Nztitans said:

Or a dragon. What did the three eyed raven say way back in the first book? (maybe. It’s been years since I’ve read them) you will never walk again but you will fly. So probably one of Dany’s unless he can warg into the undead one 

Idk where it was mentioned in the books (haven't read them), but he does say it to Bran at the end of season 4 in the show when he reaches the cave. Back when I first saw that episode I figured that it meant he might physically ride one of the dragons, but that really wouldn't make any sense in any logical way. As far as warging, if the original three eyed raven meant that as a prophecy then Bran has already technically fulfilled the prophecy given that he routinely flies around whilst in the head of ravens. It could mean he'll warg into either Rhaegal or Drogon, but I don't really think he will. I doubt they'll play it that way in the show.

Maybe GRRM will have different ideas in either Winds of Winter or A Dream of Spring. I'm definitely planning on reading the books after the show is over. I think Winds of WInter will come out relatively soon after the show ends, honestly. No reason, just a hunch.

OILERMAN   

Jon's heritage also means Sansa is the true ruler of Winterfell. How will the North accept Jon once they know he's not one of them? 

Varys mentioned when Jon and Danny were together they didn't know that nothing last, these two will soon become rivals. 

It seems like everyone who isn't in love with Danny sees her as untrustworthy(even Cersie). Is it possible even the dragons take Jon's side now that he's bonded with them(one of them)? At the very least if Danny is taken out he'll still have control over them. Jon's destiny is likely going to be whether or not he can avoid getting "Ned Starked". Don't be a dullard, nice guys finish last. 

Cersie is likely going to tell Euron that he got her pregnant and it's his baby. I think she's really pregnant 

I think jonboy is right, the Walkers will be taken care of soon and it will shift to the battle amongst the living. 

It looks like the rivals and alliances are not going to be what we thought at the end of the last season. 

56 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Jon's heritage also means Sansa is the true ruler of Winterfell. How will the North accept Jon once they know he's not one of them? 

They probably won't, but like Jon said he never asked to be their king/ruler in the first place. It won't matter if they don't accept him as the King... he's already relinquished that crown. But more importantly, he's got a bigger crown waiting for him to potentially grab hold of if Dany relinquishes her claim to it or dies. I don't think Jon will demand she relinquish it though. It's just not something he's after and he believes in her and is in love with her, Samwell's father and brother issues notwithstanding.

Although, his feelings for/toward her may be fucked up by the revelation that she's his aunt. So who knows?

Varys mentioned when Jon and Danny were together they didn't know that nothing last, these two will soon become rivals.

I think he just meant that life has a way of culling things down, especially when the physical embodiment of death is marching and flying your way. I don't think they'll become rivals, but it wouldn't be relevant for very long even if they did.

It seems like everyone who isn't in love with Danny sees her as untrustworthy(even Cersie). Is it possible even the dragons take Jon's side now that he's bonded with them(one of them)? At the very least if Danny is taken out he'll still have control over them. Jon's destiny is likely going to be whether or not he can avoid getting "Ned Starked". Don't be a dullard, nice guys finish last.

She's a Targaryen. "Every time a Targaryen is born, the gods flip a coin." Spoken by Cersei in an earlier season. There have been good Targaryens and bat shit crazy Targaryens. The Mad King was... butt fucking mad. But his son, Rhaegar, was supposedly very kind, gentle, and hated violence. Everyone assumed that because Dany's other brother Viserys was an evil little cunt meant that she would be sunshine and rainbows, but she may turn into a version of her father. But I don't see any real reason to think that will be the case. Everything she's done that could be taken as horrible has been a thoughtful action. She wasn't just burning people for the fuck of it.

And no... I can't imagine a scenario where the dragons would "take a side" between Jon and Dany. I mean, they're intelligent beasts, but they're still just beasts. And Dany is their "mother" anyway. They've been with her since they hatched. So why would they abandon her and what would the scenario be for that to happen?

As for Jon's destiny down the road, he'll first need to avoid becoming part of the army of the dead. Speaking of destiny... the first image is from the preview for next week's episode. Notice the "shirt" (or whatever) that he's wearing next week. Where's the dual-direwolf breast plate thing he was wearing for this whole episode and all of last season (pictured below)? I wonder if that has any significance...

Next week
IdyVI0P.png

This episode and last season

zMR0p6g.png

Edited by NashvilleNinja

OILERMAN   
1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

if Dany relinquishes her claim to it or dies. I don't think Jon will demand she relinquish it though.

It's not hers to relinquish though

We bout to have a mad queen on our hands! In fact we already did and didn't know it!

OzTitan   

Bronn ain't no dummy, he knows all the gold in the world won't amount to much when he sees what's coming. He'll probably save Jamie from being killed by a whitewalker or some shit.

23 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

Bronn ain't no dummy, he knows all the gold in the world won't amount to much when he sees what's coming. He'll probably save Jamie from being killed by a whitewalker or some shit.

The white walker threat will be over by the time he has to make that decision

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

He is still a man of the North through his mother.

But I do think Sansa will be seen as the rightful heir to Winterfell in the end. 

Jonboy   

Yara mentioning the Iron Islands as a fallback location has to mean that will actually come into play, right? 

Perhaps the Night King actually wrecks them and the survivors have to retreat to the Iron Islands? Would put them much closer to King's Landing too.