OILERMAN

The Game of Thrones

Rogue   

I'm kind of surprised the episode was just over an hour.  I figured they'd all be on the long side. 

It doesn't seem like much time for Daenerys and Jon to discuss Jon's newfound information.  It doesn't much matter at the moment, but it'll be interesting to see that play out.  I'm kind of guessing Jon keeps it to himself, but at some point it has to be known.  Or maybe not.  Ned kept the secret.  

It's interesting they are going for a battle in episode 2.  Does the North retreat to the south?  

1 minute ago, Rogue said:

I'm kind of surprised the episode was just over an hour.  I figured they'd all be on the long side. 

It doesn't seem like much time for Daenerys and Jon to discuss Jon's newfound information.  It doesn't much matter at the moment, but it'll be interesting to see that play out.  I'm kind of guessing Jon keeps it to himself, but at some point it has to be known.  Or maybe not.  Ned kept the secret.  

It's interesting they are going for a battle in episode 2.  Does the North retreat to the south?  

I think there will be no retreat. Either they defeat the Night King at Winterfell or the rest of Westeros is lost.

And I suspect the Night King arrives at the end of ep2 and the battle is ep3. 

Edited by Starkiller

Rogue   
32 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Apparently the ep1 symbol was different. But we have seen the spiral a number of times before.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2019/4/14/18307839/game-of-thrones-white-walker-swirl-symbol-night-king-season-8-episode-1

I actually told my wife I thought we'd seen that symbol from somewhere dealing with the children of the forest.  She believes Bran is the Nightking.  

I actually told my wife I thought we'd seen that symbol from somewhere dealing with the children of the forest.  She believes Bran is the Nightking.  

I've heard that theory before, but there would have to be some pretty timebending shit for that to happen. We saw the Children turn one of the First Men into a White Walker (the Night King?) thousands of years ago. Not sure how it could be Bran. Even if he can see the past, how could he physically go back in time?

I think it’s more likely the Night King simply has the power of an ancient greenseer combined with the power given to him via the Children.

Rogue   
9 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I think there will be no retreat. Either they defeat the Night King at Winterfell or the rest of Westeros is lost.

And I suspect the Night King arrives at the end of ep2 and the battle is ep3. 

I can't imagine the battle not taking up more of the season. I mean, this is it.  

I agree it won't happen until the end of the episode, setting up episode 3, but it's early in the season for a rather climatic event...at least for it to be over.  Perhaps they make a long stand at Winterfell, but it has to carry over into multiple episodes.  

cenj   
1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

I don't think so

She's wanted the throne more than anyone 

Yea, I've thought for awhile now that she's a villain. The show has at times tried to present her as someone to cheer for, but if you just think about her character's actions and motivations, she's a pretty fucked up bad guy. 

She demands obedience. No once can be queen but her, and it's her "right." She kills anyone who resists her and seems to care nothing about human life. She only protected slaves because she was bitter about what happened to her.

Daenerys won't be on the throne. She's shown herself to be a terrible ruler; she's only a bloodthirsty conqueror. 

Rogue   
3 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I've heard that theory before, but there would have to be some pretty timebending shit for that to happen. We saw the Children turn one of the First Men into a White Walker (the Night King?) thousands of years ago. Not sure how it could be Bran. Even if he can see the past, how could he physically go back in time?

I think it’s more likely the Night King simply has the power of an ancient greenseer combined with the power given to him via the Children.

I've asked her why she thought that.  I was not given a compelling answer. :) 

I can't imagine the battle not taking up more of the season. I mean, this is it.  

I agree it won't happen until the end of the episode, setting up episode 3, but it's early in the season for a rather climatic event...at least for it to be over.  Perhaps they make a long stand at Winterfell, but it has to carry over into multiple episodes.  

Well there are only 5 episodes left to defeat the Night King and for someone to take the Iron Throne. If the Long Night is ep3 (the longest episode of the full 8 seasons) they still only have 3 eps to go.

2 minutes ago, cenj said:

Yea, I've thought for awhile now that she's a villain. The show has at times tried to present her as someone to cheer for, but if you just think about her character's actions and motivations, she's a pretty fucked up bad guy. 

She demands obedience. No once can be queen but her, and it's her "right." She kills anyone who resists her and seems to care nothing about human life. She only protected slaves because she was bitter about what happened to her.

Daenerys won't be on the throne. She's shown herself to be a terrible ruler; she's only a bloodthirsty conqueror. 

She can be either a hero or a villain, depending on your point of view. I think you can look at her freeing the slaves and bringing down the masters and the horse riding rapists and say he is making the world a better place.

Is she a good ruler? Maybe, maybe not. But I can still see her on the Iron Throne at the end.

6 minutes ago, cenj said:

It's one thing to say she thinks she's owed the throne and would be a bad ruler and another to say she's a blood thirsty villian. Whatever she's done has been has been, if not completely justified, then mostly justified.

Jonboy   
56 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

That was some extra strength table setting...

Yep. Kinda surprised with it being the final season. I think most of us could have predicted everything that happened in this episode. It was nice to get the reveal to Jon out of the way early. I think the only thing that was kind of unexpected was the Night King leaving the symbol behind. Clearly there's a reason for it if they're showing it this late. I enjoyed all the parallels back to season 1, but was kind of disappointed with the amount of setup given how little time we have left. 

As things progress, we should start to be able to piece together more of the ending. Essentially, everything we see is mostly likely important now. Hrere are the main characters left and what they chose to focus on...

Jon- Learns the truth, but doesn't want to accept it. Trying to hold everything together and keep everyone focused on the goal of defeating the Night King. Loves Dany, but is most likely starting to entertain the idea he'd be a better ruler. 

Primary goal: Save humanity

Dany- Clearly focused on winning over the north and Sansa. Nothing really of interest from Dany in this episode. It was more about everyone's reactions to her. As interesting as it was to see Jon's reaction to the news about his parentage, it will be even more interesting to see Dany's reaction. She's definitely not going to like the fact that she isn't the rightful heir to the throne...and yet, she's not the last Targaryen as she'd always believed. 

Primary goal: Win the throne.

Arya- Still loves Jon, but made it clear this is about family. Gonna be really interesting to see how she handles Jon not being a Stark.

Primary Goal: Protect her family

Sansa- Nothing too unexpected from Sansa here. Obviously isn't thrilled with Dany or Jon bending the knee. Focused on the practical matters like feeding the armies.

Primary goal: Protect her family/the north.

Bran- Wasted no time getting the news to Jon. Dude seems to know everything at this point and is trying to have everyone in place to fulfill their purpose. What was up with his line about "waiting for an old friend?" He has to be talking about Jaime. Normally you'd just say it was sarcasm, but this new version of Bran doesn't seem like the sarcastic type. Perhaps he truly considers Jaime a friend since he set him on the path of becoming the three-eyed raven.

Primary goal: Defeat the Night King?

Jaime- Didn't see him much, but I thought it was interesting how brown his hair was at the start of this episode. They're making him look less like a Lannister which has to be intentional. Really looking forward to seeing that scene with Bran next week. My hunch is Bran is actually going to thank him. The fact that Bran was waiting specifically to talk to him tells me he has a very important role to play going forward. 

Primary goal: Still attempting to atone for past sins. 

Tyrion- Varys and Davos pitch the idea of having Jon and Dany serve as co-rulers. I have to think this will be Tyrion's primary purpose going forward. With Jon getting the news that he's the rightful King in the very same episode, there are definitely discussions to be had between Jon, Dany, and Tyrion. I'd say they'll be reluctant at first, but both will most likely come around to the idea.

Cersei- She seems gleeful at the idea of the Night King weakening her enemies. She's now assembled her army although she's disappointed there aren't more of them (and that they don't have elephants). She has to be hoping Jon/Dany win, but are significantly weakened. Then she keeps her throne. One of two possibilities on the final shot of her tearing up and holding her stomach: did she lose the baby or is she just fearing for its life? 

Primary goal: Survive and keep the crown.

Overall, they really drove home the importance of family, oaths, and allies. I've always wondered how the final season would balance the fight against the army of the dead and then the remaining fallout. GRRM has often talked about his disappointment with the end of LOTR and how there was very little about Aragorn's rule, how he resolved the remaining issues throughout Middle Earth, etc. 

I'm really starting to think the Night King threat is going to be resolved sooner rather than later. The final episode (or two even?) will focus on what's left. This is probably where the "bittersweet" ending comes in and our favorite characters will be pitted against each other and forced into some difficult decisions. They've planted the seeds for Dany and Jon to be co-rulers, but is that what we'll actually get?

My guess is the army of dead goes down sometime in the first 4 episodes...then the final episodes turn into classic GoT with some of our favorite characters backstabbing one another on their way to obtaining and keeping power.

Jonboy   
39 minutes ago, Rogue said:

19 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Well there are only 5 episodes left to defeat the Night King and for someone to take the Iron Throne. If the Long Night is ep3 (the longest episode of the full 8 seasons) they still only have 3 eps to go.

Not sure if some consider it a spoiler or not, but the estimated running times for each episode have been reported: https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/15/game-of-thrones-final-season-episode-lengths/

So is Bronn going to (try to) kill Tyrion and Jamie? Or is he going to join them? He has been all about gold and titles thus far, but is his friendships with the Lannister brothers going to overcome that?

Also, anyone notice the design Arya wants Gendry to build for her? Looks like a gun that shoots dragonglass. Or an extendible spear with a dragonglass tip?

* I think Jorah is holding this weapon in the preview for next week. Maybe Arya, too.

Edited by Starkiller

Jonboy   
58 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

So is Bronn going to (try to) kill Tyrion and Jamie? Or is he going to join them? He has been all about gold and titles thus far, but is his friendships with the Lannister brothers going to overcome that?

Zero chance Bronn kills either of them, imo

36 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Also, anyone notice the design Arya wants Gendry to build for her? Looks like a gun that shoots dragonglass. Or an extendible spear with a dragonglass tip?

* I think Jorah is holding this weapon in the preview for next week. Maybe Arya, too.

I think it's a spear with one end as dragonglass and her dagger attached to the other end.