OILERMAN

The Game of Thrones

27 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Deaths of major characters - even minor ones like Bronn or Beric - are not insignificant to the scope of the story. Everyone has had plot armor for awhile now, likely so that the deaths in the final season pile up. And plot armor is the main convention this show (book) was designed to break ... and one of the main reasons it got to where it is as a cultural phenomenon.

Insignificant, my ass.

Bronn is an important go between between Tyrion and Jamie. Of course they didn’t kill him. It’s not like GRRM has killed him yet. Beric's arc in the show is different than the books because of no Stoneheart. And they wanted him to have a chat about being resurrected with Jon. Probably he will die this season. I’m sure lots of characters will die this season.

But they killed Thoros. They killed Barristan. They killed Rickon. All of these guys are still alive in the books (so far). 

2 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

I disagree. Stopped reading halfway through.

First, using the Heartsbane incident to set the stage for this narrative is pretty silly IMO. Sam stealing Heartsbane was itself a consequence for Randyll Tarly, long overdue. Each episode would be 8 hours long if they had to show a consequence for every single move and countermove. This is extremely nitpicky IMO.

I stopped reading when it got to Jon Snow, and how there was no consequence for leaving the Night's Watch. That was one of my favorite parts of the last season, which no doubt fell off from the greatness of before. Jon Snow pledged himself to the Night's Watch until death. Well, he fucking died. Like he was good and dead, killed by his own fellow members of the Night's Watch. That's as good a reason is any. Are you gonna tell a guy who just died and was resurrected that he still is under that oath? But at any rate, whatever quibble there is with that, that goes to Martin, not the show. I feel pretty certain Snow is going to be revived in the books also, and I also feel pretty certain he is going to leave the Night's Watch, just like in the show.

I assume you stopped too soon to get the point of them referencing Jon's resurrection.  Their point wasn't him simply leaving the NW.  The lack of consequences was throughout the realm of people accepting the famous Jon Snow being no longer a member of the NW.  Those at the Wall witnessed his death and then him being alive.  So that passes inspection.  The rest of the North, Eyrie, etc. seem to have no problem with this situation.  Are they aware of him getting out due to resurrection?  THAT's the lack of consequences.

39 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Twas a joke, my lords. Although idle speculation is what can lead to being spoiled, which is why I try to avoid specific speculations. There may only be so much left to spoil, I don't want to accidentally stumble upon fucking myself over, which has happened a couple times before.

How would you stumble upon a spoiler through speculation?  I suppose you could read enough possible outcomes, but that isn't being "spoiled" per se.  If you don't want to talk about the show, why open this thread?  Also, after the first episode of this season, are us fans not allowed to talk about what might happen due to possible *gasp* consequences of actions?

1 hour ago, Legaltitan said:

ok that makes sense.

Guess we have to assume they all know the dude was killed by his brothers.

Maybe it was an “anyone but Ramsey” situation. 

Nobody who watches the shows gives a damn about the swords. Thats just for the book junkies. 

But yeah.. Sam should have to answer for stealing it. They could have just avoided it altogether and had somebody grab it at the war when they got burned up. 

The arya storyline is what bothered me. zero consequences there. 

The jet packing was bad

jon is a bit contrived and his dead uncle coming out of nowhere to save him needs more explaination or it just feels like they are contriving some shit. 

theres plenty to complain about ...

but all in all, they had to write a couple of seasons with nothing to go on and not fuck it up too bad for when GRRM comes in to help clean up the finish.  they did .. just OK. more generic pop writing but its sufficed and had entertainment value. 

we'll see how the final season plays out. 

Edited by titanruss

11 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Helluva family tree...

house_targaryen_complete_family_tree_by_

This is fun to see, especially after reading Fire and Blood.  But, come on, man - spoilers!  ;)  Now when they do a prequel, you know who each Targ is going to marry and how many kids they have and which become kings/queens!  

Bottom line the show is still good and enjoyable however it took a hit when it passed the books. All of the examples in the article are valid and it really hammers home the difference between real writers and TV writers. There was so much dumb shit in seasons 6 and 7 it's hard to keep track of.

16 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Bottom line the show is still good and enjoyable however it took a hit when it passed the books. All of the examples in the article are valid and it really hammers home the difference between real writers and TV writers. There was so much dumb shit in seasons 6 and 7 it's hard to keep track of.

Sure, but GRRM can’t keep to a 1 novel/season per year schedule and he doesn’t even have a production budget to deal with. 

It would have have been better if they had the entire book series to work from before they started (or at least finished). But George couldn’t keep up with that pace. I’m honestly not sure what D&D could have done differently to move the story along to fit in with a TV schedule. Yes, there are logical holes in there, but those are probably tough to avoid in a series like this when time is short.

24 minutes ago, oldschool said:

...And then there's the whole shit-storm of Dorne they created.

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

Sure, but GRRM can’t keep to a 1 novel/season per year schedule and he doesn’t even have a production budget to deal with. 

It would have have been better if they had the entire book series to work from before they started (or at least finished). But George couldn’t keep up with that pace. I’m honestly not sure what D&D could have done differently to move the story along to fit in with a TV schedule. Yes, there are logical holes in there, but those are probably tough to avoid in a series like this when time is short.

Why not keep close to the books that were complete (Feast, Dance) and then play out natural consequences from there?  As I mentioned above, the whole Dorne story they did was garbage and then they hastily aborted it.  The problem that everyone can agree on is that the show was too rushed at the end.  They had plenty of material to work with to enable the "pieces" to move into place.  They did weird shit with the Greyjoys and trimmed out two other main characters from that arc.  There's all of Dorne.  There's Tyrion's adventure in Essos with fAegon.  And I'm not even advocating for Brienne's story arc to be included in full (even though I enjoyed reading it).

They had self-imposed constrictions of number of episodes and seasons (and I get it, 10 years is a long time).  But there is plenty they could do differently.  

Going back to the Greyjoys, they started cutting corners by having Yara sail COMPLETELY AROUND Westeros to save Theon but then give up vs a naked Ramsey holding knives.  I would be interested in the discussion regarding that small moment - was it a production matter to say they sailed around rather than ride on horseback across land?

11 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

BTW, I’m hoping that Rothfuss gets that last Kingkiller Chronicle book out before the movie and series happen. And at least he only has 1 book to go (presumably). 

Good luck on sentence 1. And good luck on sentence 2.

There is way, way too much storyline in the books to include in a TV show. At least a 10 hour a season show. Maybe if HBO gave them 15 hours a season. Regardless, they had to streamline the plot to keep the story focused and still get to the destination.

As for Dorne, the book storyline is shit there, too...