The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

They are also totally overplaying the Torture arc with Theo. Does anyone remember if Rob actually marries that chick in the book? Anyway, for the most part they have done a good job following the main story line so I can't really complain.

They skip over details of Theon's torture in the books, but it is clear that it happened.

Robb did get married in book 2. But the woman he married was a different character. Not sure why they changed who she was.

Not sure where you are in Rob's story... but he marries a random chick for after promising to marry a Frey.

They were definitely gay in the books, but I recall that being a reveal later on after the knight of Flowers is established as a hunk and someone the ladies dream of. One way or another, I feel they've portrayed the Knight of Flowers as a weaker character than he was in the books... but again, it's been a bunch of years since Intead the first one.

A few notes: @ @Jamalisms

#1. Knight of Flowers was supposed to be the "next Jaime" in terms of skill and swoon factor. GRRM only alluded to him being gay in the 3rd book where IIRC Jaime threatens him saying something to the effect "I'll stick a sword so far up your ass Renly could never find." He also willingly takes the Kingsguard (they are supposed to be have no children, no wife, etc) at the age of 16 or so, just like Jaime. Jaime did it to be close to his lover/sister. Why would Loras? 

I do wish they made it a little bit more ambiguous, but HBO is gonna HBO. 

#2. Robb married Jeyne Westerling, daughter of a Lannister bannerman. This happened after he was wounded during his campaign to sack Lannisport. She treats his wounds, gives him some nookie, and he decides to do the "noble" thing. He weds her instead of leaving her like he believes his father did with Jon's mother. 

HBO wanted to make the character more exotic, just like they did with Shae. In the books Jeyne Westerling is a normal, cute, shy girl. Also, If they made her a Westerling in the tv show, they'd have to introduce Raynald (the father), and a lot of the intrigue surrounding a Lannister bannerman helping a Stark for no other reason than his daughter slept with him. Without knowing what happens next, it would seem implausible to see why he would allow it. Lannisters always pay their debts, and Raynald would know that his family would end up like the Reynes of Castamere. 

So to bypass all of that, instead of Jeyne Westerling, you get Lady Tylisa from Volantis. No ties to Westeros, no family, no further intrigue. It makes the story simpler, and easier to keep track of. 

Edited by Alpha

HBO wanted to make the character more exotic, just like they did with Shae. In the books Jeyne Westerling is a normal, cute, shy girl. Also, If they made her a Westerling in the tv show, they'd have to introduce Raynald (the father), and a lot of the intrigue surrounding a Lannister bannerman helping a Stark for no other reason than his daughter slept with him. Without knowing what happens next, it would seem implausible to see why he would allow it. Lannisters always pay their debts, and Raynald would know that his family would end up like the Reynes of Castamere. 

So to bypass all of that, instead of Jeyne Westerling, you get Lady Tylisa from Volantis. No ties to Westeros, no family, no further intrigue. It makes the story simpler, and easier to keep track of. 

Interesting. I just finally started watching the show and am only towards the end of season 1 at this point so I was unaware they altered this.  I'm not sure who the character is that they introduced or what reasons they provided for his motivation to marry her, but guessing and filling in the blanks...

I'll agree that it's cleaner, but wouldn't you also agree that it makes Robb a bit more of a poor leader and reckless moron?  It's one thing to give consideration to marrying the daughter of another noble family (of some sort)... it's entirely another to marry some random chick with no family connections.

A few notes: @ @Jamalisms

#1. Knight of Flowers was supposed to be the "next Jaime" in terms of skill and swoon factor. GRRM only alluded to him being gay in the 3rd book where IIRC Jaime threatens him saying something to the effect "I'll stick a sword so far up your ass Renly could never find." He also willingly takes the Kingsguard (they are supposed to be have no children, no wife, etc) at the age of 16 or so, just like Jaime. Jaime did it to be close to his lover/sister. Why would Loras? 

I do wish they made it a little bit more ambiguous, but HBO is gonna HBO. 

#2. Robb married Jeyne Westerling, daughter of a Lannister bannerman. This happened after he was wounded during his campaign to sack Lannisport. She treats his wounds, gives him some nookie, and he decides to do the "noble" thing. He weds her instead of leaving her like he believes his father did with Jon's mother. 

Good stuff Alpha. I haven't read the books in years so I don't remember some of it. Your point on Rob is a great one. He married that Lannister chick out of sense of duty. It was supposed to show how much like his father he had turned out to be and that ultimately his honor would do him in as it did Ned. As for Loras, I can't stand the way the character is portrayed in the Tv series. I don't like how he was written nor the actor that plays him. They have taken one of the most knightly characters and turned him into a total puss. 

Edited by oldschool

I'll agree that it's cleaner, but wouldn't you also agree that it makes Robb a bit more of a poor leader and reckless moron?  It's one thing to give consideration to marrying the daughter of another noble family (of some sort)... it's entirely another to marry some random chick with no family connections.

I'm assuming they wanted to take out the "moral obligation" reasoning and go w/ a more love based story line while trying to simplify it.

Interesting. I just finally started watching the show and am only towards the end of season 1 at this point so I was unaware they altered this.  I'm not sure who the character is that they introduced or what reasons they provided for his motivation to marry her, but guessing and filling in the blanks...

It makes Rob more sentimental to have married for love rather than out of a obligation because he he had a one night stand. 

It makes Rob more sentimental to have married for love rather than out of a obligation because he he had a one night stand. 

They probably figured more people would connect w/ the emotional reasoning than the moral reasoning even if it connected his character to his father even more.

Classic case of playing on an emotional response vs playing on an intellectual response.

Edited by reo