The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

Fair enough... but you might change you mind after awhile on some of that.

*Show SPOILERS*

I haven't read the books so this is just representative of my speculation, but Dany is guaranteed to see an eventual huge, huge setback. She's  "won" and won big for this entire season--and her power plays have been virtually unchecked. No way this continues. NO WAY. If nothing else she's supremely arrogant and that has cost her in the past, especially when she sees herself as a liberator. She has a penchant for meddling in cultures she doesn't understand. Just think back to the fall of her horse-lord husband.

At any rate, there are many interesting plot lines going on right now. The red-witch and the bastard boy. The multiple marriages. And who the hell is torturing Theon? My guess is that it has to be someone related to House Stark, but who is on the fringes. I'm assuming birthright will be important because that's sort of central to Theon's story.

Also, I'm loving the inevitable showdown between Joffrey and his grandfather. Tywin owns every scene he is in.

Edited by Bink

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

Right some, wrong elsewhere. That's why this book series/show is so awesome. Beyond knowing that anyone can die at any time... Martin is rather adept at turning a despised character into a likeable one and visa versa.

The way Kingslayer's arc in the show has been handled alone makes me want to see it in the books. All of the Lannister men, really, steal the show for me.

Danaery is the biggest threat to the current realm, She is also the true heir to the thrown. It would be ridiculous to erase her character.

She's marching towards King's Landing while growing her army with loyal freed slaves, she also happens to have 3 dragons. Oh and the next biggest threat is probably the red headed chick who worships the Fire God and can kill people with fire babies. Danaery cannot be killed by fire.

She has also turned into a bad ass. The best scene so far might be her dragon roasting that guy who didn't think she could understand what he was saying about her.

They're getting to the end of what I've read so this entire post is all speculation. If I'm right in any of this (for those that know) then it's just b/c I'm guessing well.

Keep in mind that there's basically a larger conflict brewing between the Ice undead north of the wall and the fire god. What I'm curious about is how Daenerys fits into the fight. How she fits against the undead seems to be pretty self explanatory. Winter is coming and her control over Dragons and possibly fire sets her as the obvious counter point to them. And it would also explain how her family got to power in the first place. How she fits in w/ the Fire religion is more difficult. I'm not sure how that'll fit. Will they be allies or will there be 2 extreme evils in the Fire religion and the Ice Undead? Would seem that both are resurrecting people but in different ways. Daenerys could counter the Ice w/ her Dragons (Fire negates ice). Who counters the Fire god? Jon Snow somehow? The Brotherhood Priest doesn't seem that evil but the witch does which makes it hard to see her god being good.

Side note, who else thinks Jon Snow is a Baratheon bastard, not a Stark and Eddard just took him in b/c of who his mother was?

The phrase "Winter is coming" has been around for generations. The Black Watch was formed for a reason. It would appear to be cyclical. In the past the Ice Demons of the north grew in power and attacked the south and it got colder. They fought them off and built the great wall and developed the Black Watch, not to watch the wildlings, but to watch for the Ice Demons to grow in power again. But people forget and the Black Watch has diminished in power and strength. It would appear that Dragons and the Targaryens would be a natural force against them. And on top of that the Fire god rising in power just as the Ice Demons rise in power again wouldn't seem to be a coincidence but are they natural enemies or separate evils? I'm leaning toward separate evils. Daenerys will counter the Ice. I'm now thinking Jon will somehow counter the Fire and in the end I wouldn't be surprised if they got together and solidified any claims to the throne in the process... that is if Jon is a Baratheon as I suspect.

Another note of speculation, was the rise of the Ice and Fire demons caused by the the killing of the king by Jaime Lannister? Another interesting potential plot point. If the Targaryens are the natural defenders of the realm against the Ice Demons then them losing power would seem to be a good opening. If that's the case, who counters the Fire and caused their rise? It's possible the rise of the Ice threat caused it but it could also be that there's a family naturally predisposed to counter them as well. Baratheons?

I don't remember what, if anything, happens to the smith boy but I think he's immaterial.

I've noticed the show has started to rely more and more on intense scenes you kinda already know the outcome of (the cliff hanging, the bear fight

I absolutely thought Bron was gonna die from the bear then thought Jamie would

So, for the folks (like me) who havent read the book, whats up with Theon Greyjoy getting tortured by the crazy guy.  The ish that happening to him is getting hard to watch.

Honestly I only vaguely remember it from the books. Maybe it's being played up or emphasized more in the series? I dunno. I think i remember a reason but obviously can't say even if I remembered better.

Edited by reo

The guy is crazy and takes pleasure in it. It's power and madness, mixed somewhat with Theon's status as a traitor.

Largely it's a mechanism of the storytelling to have Theon's fate turned on its head... and it shows how evil men can gain and retain power when everyone needs an ally.

I'm officially bowing out of this thread. Too many of you've read the damned book. 

Ditto, I've got the series on my bookshelf and have been planning to read them for well over a year now.  So hard to find time to sit down with a book these days though.

I've read all the books, and I'll skip the spoilers. But I will say that even 5 books in, there are so many unanswered questions. Even questions that may come up from the series so far are still unanswered.

The dragons, the god of fire, the white walkers, and Bran and Jojan's dreams are obviously the big supernatural questions we've seen. Then you have the politics of Westeros, which is all most everyone south of the Wall is concerned about and everyone is distracted away from the far more deadly supernatural stuff.

I will say that my favorite bit of intrigue to watch is the schemers, Littlefinger and Varys. Again, I won't spoil what happens with them through book 5. And even through the series it's clear that Littlefinger's goal is propel himself "up the ladder". But through all 5 of the books so far, I'm still not sure what Varys' motives really are.