The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

11 hours ago, Number9 said:

I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER A CHALLENGE!!

You have just watched Season 8.  Now go back and watch Season 1 and see which one you think is the best.

I'll admit that season one is fairly slow at parts - and the budget wasn't there for some of things.  However, the story-telling is excellent, and since it is the beginning, it has the advantage of not suffering from short-cuts affecting the logic of events.

25 minutes ago, TitansFan777 said:

If the show somehow maintained the quality found in seasons 3 and 4, there would not be a single person saying it wasnt the greatest show ever. Those seasons were some of the greatest TV has ever put out.

Its not a knock on the other seasons, but those two years in particular were just flat out amazing.

To be fair, the books in the same spot peak, too.  The dropoff isn't the same following, but they both peaked at the same moments.  

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CreepingDeath said:

I'll admit that season one is fairly slow at parts - and the budget wasn't there for some of things.  However, the story-telling is excellent, and since it is the beginning, it has the advantage of not suffering from short-cuts affecting the logic of events.

That's a good point.  The reason I asked is before this season started, I went back to watch some just to kinda get back into it.  I planned to watch the final episode of each season, but they were so good I kept going back instead of forward.

It's interesting watching older episodes now.  As the story telling became weaker, it also brought about a hyper sensitivity scenes pretty unbelievable.  

Watching it all again from the perspective of today's criticism is interesting. There's a lot of "just how the hell did that happen" moments that flat out wasn't complained about back then.  

Seriously, watch it all from the mindset of today's criticism.  If you assign the same standards of plot criticism, you'll realize there's always been "plot armor". 

But the depth to the story made all that a non-factor....or rather, the lack of depth has made those same moments more criticisable today. 

Just an observation watching it again from today's perspective.  It's a noticeable thing, and only from the perspective of today. 

5 hours ago, Rogue said:

Watching it all again from the perspective of today's criticism is interesting. There's a lot of "just how the hell did that happen" moments that flat out wasn't complained about back then.  

Seriously, watch it all from the mindset of today's criticism.  If you assign the same standards of plot criticism, you'll realize there's always been "plot armor". 

Some of this was brought up in that final season. Of course Jon comes back to life! How the hell did the Hound survive!

53 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Some of this was brought up in that final season. Of course Jon comes back to life! How the hell did the Hound survive!

Well, those impossible moments happened in non-book seasons so we can easily dismiss those due to the obviously bad writing. But Samwell Tarly was wearing an official Night's Watch© Invisibility Cloak when the whole army of the dead walked right past him at the end of season 2, a book season.

See? Superior writing needs no plot armor at all, just handy winter fashion and a very still and quiet fat boy.

4 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The biggest issue was time. Early on they had a lot of time for character/plot development

The last season especially was so rushed

That was their choice. The ending was awful even if understandable because they refused to make 2 10 episode seasons. 

I still maintain the rushed time line did not happen in a vacuum. They say HBO did not pressure them. Ok fine but I doubt there wasn't some pressure. But at the very least I think everyone involved from actors to writers etc were burned out. If nothing else I feel like they limited the last two seasons b3cauwr the major players were totally ready to be done with the show and move on. It is amazing how they were able to hold everyone together for that long as it is. Other than the guy who played the mountain I don't think a single other character had to be replaced with a different actor. That is very remarkable given the huge cast. 

10 hours ago, Rogue said:

It's interesting watching older episodes now.  As the story telling became weaker, it also brought about a hyper sensitivity scenes pretty unbelievable.  

But the depth to the story made all that a non-factor....or rather, the lack of depth has made those same moments more criticisable today. 

Just an observation watching it again from today's perspective.  It's a noticeable thing, and only from the perspective of today. 

Which scenes are you referring to?  I'm not saying they don't exist, I just want to better understand your perspective.

4 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Well, those impossible moments happened in non-book seasons so we can easily dismiss those due to the obviously bad writing. But Samwell Tarly was wearing an official Night's Watch© Invisibility Cloak when the whole army of the dead walked right past him at the end of season 2, a book season.

See? Superior writing needs no plot armor at all, just handy winter fashion and a very still and quiet fat boy.

Dude.  You don't know what you're talking about.  Just stop.

That scene was changed for the show.  If you don't like the "invisibility cloak", take it up with the show writers, not the book.  Anything else you got?

7 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

That scene was changed for the show.  If you don't like the "invisibility cloak", take it up with the show writers, not the book.  Anything else you got?

His point is that, whether from the book or not, it's a stretch of a scene that would be harrassed if it came out now.

But, yes, the reality is that a drop of dirt in a sea of pure water becomes hard to care about. But shovel after shovel is aggravating.

And, btw, which scene is more obnoxious?

1. Sam hiding poorly and not getting noticed anyway

2. Sam fighting an overwhelming number of undead beings that just walked on entire swaths of armies, getting knocked down and swarmed, living in that state for 20 minutes, then just lying down and crying while the battle continued?

Degree matters. They're not even on remotely the same level. Comparing then is hilarious.

1 hour ago, CreepingDeath said:

Ah, I see. So anything that might be iffy in the show just blame the show. But everything that's awesome credit GRRM.

Gotcha. But just instantly off the top of my head? How about Davos surviving getting blown into Wildfire Bay? Or the white walker not going after the other Night's Watch guy in the pilot episode? Or, the ultimate plot armor, Bran surviving the fall from the tall ass tower?