The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

I guess people debating the show as if it were real is not surprising - people are crazy:

Queen Cersei was fan-voted as the series' most hated character. The actress who plays the role, Lena Headey, said that the fans' hatred for the character often translates to her personally as people at times insult or shun her in real life. While there are plenty of people who adore her and her portrayal of Cersei, Headey reported that during an autograph session at Comic Con, people would snatch their books from her hands to prevent her from signing it.

https://www.boredpanda.com/game-of-thrones-facts/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

When I truly dislike a person playing a part, I think that is a great actor/actress.  One day I saw some of the cast talking about Joffery.  I couldn't stand him.  They were saying how everybody on the sets loved Jackie Gleeson and how nice of a kid he was.  He played his part extremely well because I could have sworn he was one terrible person.

7 minutes ago, Number9 said:

OK. You have now posted two links, neither of which says Jon isn't coming back, and both of which agree there is a very good chance he is coming back in some firm, albeit probably different than in the show. 

So I'm going with shtick. 

Just now, Legaltitan said:

OK. You have now posted two links, neither of which says Jon isn't coming back, and both of which agree there is a very good chance he is coming back in some firm, albeit probably different than in the show. 

Bingo!

1 minute ago, Legaltitan said:

I keep explaining in most of my posts, it's fiction.  The books are not history books and the show doesn't follow the books word for word.  Everybody can have a different view.  Aaron Rodgers says he hated/disliked the ending and he was in the series.

The parable of the blind men and an elephant originated in the ancient Indian subcontinent, from where it has been widely diffused. However the meaning of the popular proverb differs in other countries. It is a story of a group of blind men, who have never come across an elephant before and who learn and conceptualize what the elephant is like by touching it. Each blind man feels a different part of the elephant's body, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then describe the elephant based on their limited experience and their descriptions of the elephant are different from each other. In some versions, they come to suspect that the other person is dishonest and they come to blows. The moral of the parable is that humans have a tendency to claim absolute truth based on their limited, subjective experience as they ignore other people's limited, subjective experiences which may be equally true.[1][2]

13 hours ago, 9 Nines said:

There’s one problem with all this: Game of Thrones isn’t medieval. And it’s the nonmedieval features of the series that help explain its enormous popularity.

Let’s survey Martin’s world. Seven large kingdoms, each with multiple cities and towns, share a populous continent. Urban traders ply the Narrow Sea in galleys, carrying cargoes of wine, grains, and other commodities to the merchants of the Free Cities in the east. Slavers raid the southern continent and force slaves to work as miners, farmers, or household servants. There is a powerful bank based in the Venice-like independent republic of Braavos. A guild in Qarth dominates the international spice trade. Black-gowned, Jesuit-like “Maesters” create medicines, study the secrets of the human body, and use “far-eyes” (telescopes) to observe the stars. In King’s Landing, lords peruse sizable libraries and alchemists experiment with chemical reactions and napalm-like fires. New religions from across the sea threaten old beliefs; meanwhile, many in the ruling elite are closet atheists. And politically, in the aftermath of the Mad King and Joffrey, the downsides of hereditary monarchy are growing more obvious with every passing day.

These phenomena all belong to what historians call the “early modern” period—the timespan between the voyages of Columbus and de Gama at the end of the 15th century and the French and American Revolutions at the end of the 18th. A world that actually reflected daily life in the High Middle Ages (12th-century Europe) would be one without large cities or global networks. A diversity of religions would be inconceivable. Many aristocrats wouldn’t be able to read, let alone maintain large libraries. And no one would even know about the continents across the ocean.

No one said it was medieval.  So your whole premise is irrelevant.

3 hours ago, 9 Nines said:

I guess people debating the show as if it were real is not surprising - people are crazy:

Queen Cersei was fan-voted as the series' most hated character. The actress who plays the role, Lena Headey, said that the fans' hatred for the character often translates to her personally as people at times insult or shun her in real life. While there are plenty of people who adore her and her portrayal of Cersei, Headey reported that during an autograph session at Comic Con, people would snatch their books from her hands to prevent her from signing it.

https://www.boredpanda.com/game-of-thrones-facts/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

I was thinking about Joffrey and not liking him.  Joffrey was cruel to people.  He really hated Tyrion and would make hateful, cruel jokes about him.  Others in the realm saw how degrading Goffrey was to Tyrion and others, but they just watched, some in amusement I imagine.  Tyrion slammed a sword on the table just in front of him.  I think even though Tyrion was a dwarf, he had feelings and grew tired of Joffrey.  Watching the show, I always wondered why others didn't stand up to Joffrey.

That part of the show, I didn't really understand.  Why was Joffrey always trying the embarrass Tyrion?  He even sent an assassin into the Fight of the Blackwater to finish Tyrion off.  I grew very weary of Goffrey from the very beginning.  It really wasn't much to him.  The little baker's boy lost his life, just because Ayra beat him in a play sword fight.  In Winterfell, the Stark's family's home they killed the innocent boy knowing full well Joffrey was a coward and a liar.  They even put to death one of their cherished dire wolves.

I probably would have been beheaded weekly.  There I go, it's just fiction.  

12 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I think even though Tyrion was a dwarf, he had feelings

Whaaaa?  Are you saying that dwarfs don't have feelings normally??

13 minutes ago, Number9 said:

That part of the show, I didn't really understand.  Why was Joffrey always trying the embarrass Tyrion?

Joff was a bully.  I know you've experienced a school-yard bully before... or just a jackass at work or wherever.  I don't think Joffrey's character was much of a stretch of imagination.  

31 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

Whaaaa?  Are you saying that dwarfs don't have feelings normally??

Joff was a bully.  I know you've experienced a school-yard bully before... or just a jackass at work or wherever.  I don't think Joffrey's character was much of a stretch of imagination.  

Oh No.  Short people are fine with me.

You are right.  I guess Joffrey was just a bully, once you took off all his fancy robes.  Lot of people felt a lot of pain.  

Speaking of bizarre edits, I don't think I've seen anyone mention this yet from the finale. 

Remember how Jon confronted Grey Worm as they were executing the Lannister soldiers? Davos pulls Jon away and says let's talk with the queen. When Jon gets to Dany...Grey Worm is already there! I noticed it live and immediately had to shake my head. 

16 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

More the mechanics and rationale presented.

If Jon was free and said, again, "I don't want it, I never have" and he said he was going North because that's where he feels good and so he couldn't be used as a pawn to bring down Bran ... that's so much better than join the NW that exists for no reason so that we can placate Greyworm 

I agree and said as much. It makes complete sense that Jon has no part in the new world order after murdering Dany. In order to break the wheel Targ rule has to end. He also has to be removed so royalists and others don't try to use his name to foster war. At the end everyone is sick of years of war and death. Its a new beginning. The issue I have with the ending is that it's pure laziness to put it on Greyworm and absolve the council of lords from the decision. The night's watch stuff is confusing as well as a. the watch doesn't likely exist anymore b. the reason for their existence is gone c. there is a giant fucking hole in the wall now and  d. the North is now an independent kingdom.

Personally I've always thought Jon would end up on the throne so him being exiled threw me off but I fully believe GRRM intends to end the series in the same way. I imagine he'll put it more on the political machinations of the council of lords which is what D&D should have done.

4 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

The one thing about greyworm not killing Jon snow. That woild totally be out of line for his character. Greyworm is a soldier. Like the most soldiery guy that ever soldiered. The Unsullied follow orders and kill. That's what they do. Dany Def halped Greyworm become a bit more human but the guy was raised Unsullied. He follows orders. He isn't going to freelance and kill a prisoner. Especially not someone like Jon Snow. Some of that episode was a mess at the end for sure but Greyworm not doing a fucking thing without being told is 100% true to his character. 

I think this is another case of book character vs show character. The show made Greyworm into something more with the romance arc, his realization the north would never accept him as an outsider, and going into a rage with the death of his girlfriend. Also don't forget Dany has just promoted him to warmaster so he essentially was put in command of her armies.