The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jamalisms said:

Says the guy posting on the internet, using a sports fansite to discuss a tv show under the screenname of an inside joke only those around on a different iteration of the same fansite 15 years ago would understand.

Lol....I'm much more of a nerd than a dork. Dork's LARP wear eye patches, Nerds are your boss, pirate fag.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:27 AM, IsntLifeFunny said:

The last episode was a one time savor for all to enjoy and hate. It made the entire series. They did just enough on the plot and political side to make it believable while continuing on the traditional mode of amazing theatrics. It was an incredible episode that left the nerds and women scorned. I loved it. 

If they pull it off the next episode it will go down as the best show ever made

14 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I couldn’t even finish the episode. I hope those fucks jump off a cliff hand in hand

14 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I’m not sure what any of you are even talking about. That was the worst episode of any show I’ve ever seen. 

Somebody pulled a 180 degree Danny in this thread! 

Honestly ILF, you're finally just coming around to what everyone else noticed awhile ago. This shit hasn't made sense for a few seasons. I knew when you posted the "greatest show ever" line this wouldn't end well for you. 

58 minutes ago, cenj said:

Somebody pulled a 180 degree Danny in this thread! 

Honestly ILF, you're finally just coming around to what everyone else noticed awhile ago. This shit hasn't made sense for a few seasons. I knew when you posted the "greatest show ever" line this wouldn't end well for you. 

They had their chance and bombed. 

47 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Wow what a post. We all know he has a way with words. Impressive that he was able to complement everyone involved and also say this without it coming across as an insult to the show runners:

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget.   They had eight hours for this final season.   I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them.   

Book or show, which will be the “real” ending?   It’s a silly question.   How many children did Scarlett O’Hara have? How about this?  I’ll write it.   You read it.  Then everyone can make up their own mind, and argue about it on the internet.

That seems like the nicest way possible for him to say, "look, I know most of you thought the ending sucked. But trust me, I'll finish and hopefully I'll do it justice." ?

For some reason his twitter link didn't work for me, but you can view it on his main page: http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

On 5/20/2019 at 5:50 AM, Jonboy said:

If Martin’s fault was to spend too long developing the story, Weiss and Benioff charge through it as if they have a train to catch. They have not learned that it is better to cut a subplot in its entirety than leave it in half-cooked. One minute Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth are having an affair. The next they are not. They cannot build. The final series turns on the fight against Cersei, but she is barely seen until the massacre at King’s Landing. They cannot get their story to make sense. In one episode, three dragons cannot defeat Cersei’s forces. In the next, one can.

When and if Martin finishes the novels, Game of Thrones may stand alongside Tolkien and Rowling. But the TV series demonstrates there is no substitute for an individual writer’s creative vision. And for that we should applaud it.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/19/game-thrones-bad-writing-season-eight-nick-cohen

Been saying that forever.  Brilliance is inherently individual.  Committee's generate the mundane compromise of banality at best, and low grade, completely bureaucratic evil at worst.

When I think group think I I Bay of Pigs.  Some pretty smart, decent people on their own somehow becoming much, much worse as a sum of their parts than as individuals. 

22 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

I think the reality is that I was frustrated with this show for a number of years, and then was ready to murder someone around episode 3, and so I'm onto a different stage of grief than most of you.  I'm disappointed but not raging.

It's been evident they can't write for years. It's been evident that they are shrinking the cast of characters and the way the characters interact for years. They haven't been building organically or interweaving intricate plot for years. They choose a destination and provide crappy rationale to get there. Tyrion has been a prop used to put Dany in tough situations or to give Cersei and upper hand and he hasn't had his own true plot line for years - and he was the most popular, fascinating character ... and he even stayed central to the plot and had a large role in the finale ... and they still gave up his storyline. And it's been evident since they announced the shortened seasons, which was a few years ago, that they are moving on no matter what anyone says and no matter the wisdom of trying to wrap it up that quickly.

So, for all of those complications and problems, I thought they executed what it is pretty well the last three episodes, overall. With some really ugly crap happening that was hard to believe they found acceptable.

One thing not discussed much but it's of no to me, is how they added to Dany's madness / mental snap a layer of world domination and abuse in the name of ending abuse and it was, I think, a major save of that storyline. It made the turn against her completely believable.

But they never really sold Jon loving her or why he would love her. So him struggling with it so much didn't land despite that you knew that what they were trying to show you was he loved her and it was crushing him. Instead he just looked like stupid Jon walking into another bad idea with his heart on his sleeve.

Heck, I think the idea of Greyworm becoming a problem and trying to address the question of what happens to an army when its leader is assassinated is a fascinating subject that could have used an entire episode to develop. Hell, you could turn that into an entire season if you wanted to explore all of the complexity there and the possible negotiations and war craft that could develop. But instead we got him giving up on minutes for no reason.

It's just all part of the same issue of time and development. Almost nothing that they ended up accomplishing was problematic by itself. It's all about how they got there and the fact that it didn't land. And the fact that it was different from the nature of the show before.

I think they probably should have done more seasons but even if they want to end after 8 seasons ... fine. You can spend an episode on hellos and another episode on goodbyes in a 10-episode run but not when you only have 6 episodes. You can have the Night King defeated in a single battle if you have that stretch somehow across multiple episodes and have a cliffhanger and true sense of peril in the middle ... and not the crap that they put on screen where people survive despite how they're presented in impossible situations and TV magic saves the day with plot armor. And you can develop Dany and Jon and develop Greyworm  turning cold after the death of Missandei and all the other stuff so much better with extra episodes. You can show us many of the scenes that they just skipped because it was easier. We should have seen Jamie talk to Bran when he arrived at Einterfell. We should have seen Sansa and Arya react to the news of Jon's heritage. We should have seen Sansa and Tyrion truly talking about the merits of Jon versus Dany. We should have seen the aftermath of Dany dying, at least the immediate aftermath.

There are so many things they could have done and the timeline did not allow for it. And that is just unforced and it was a choice and it was wrong and it was so substantial and meaningful that in many ways it is just simple and clear that these two producers, personally, ruined the show ... to the degree it was ruined.

My Kitchen Cliff Notes:

Sometimes I have a brilliant vision for a dinner special but run out of time and energy to gather all the necessary ingredients massage them into my dream.

Other times it's like waking up from a dream where you think you have a brilliant vision but somewhere along the way you come to terms with the idea that you really were only grasping at wisps, and it might as well been Tenacious D's Tribute.

And more often than not you just don't give a crap and sell dog poop-crusted salmon on cat-feces laced mashed potatoes with a urine-accented mushroom sauce and because they'll only hear the buzz words they want to hear and won't ever notice what they're eating with their mouths wide open while chewing, elbows on the table, so why bother.

The last couple few seasons definitely fall into these categories.  And yet...

Still taste better than the slop they serve next door, likely because even on a Don't Give A Crap Day my $h!t on a Shingle is still better than most.  And I like apparently everyone else shoveled up every last bite until the end.

11 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Nice...

As a teen in the 80s, even half-hearted, still gotta like this.  If anything makes the real ending sorta: "Well it could have been worse..."

Edited by chef