The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

5 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Been saying it for months...

I haven't been reading you say it for months, so... I didn't know that.

I honestly didn't see Daenerys going rogue like that. Obviously the potential for it was always there given how she grew to handle her enemies in certain ways, but the way her character played (at least in the show) you assumed she would always have clear sight and level approach. But when she lost Jorah, and then Missandei in consecutive episodes, it's like her conscience and heart were ripped from her.

It brings me to the biggest gripe I had with this season and last season. They just weren't long enough. More episodes would have given the stories more space to breath. And I just can't understand why they shortened them like they did. But whatever. What's done is done. And GOT is done.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Now we're going to need the Adventures Of Arya: Into The West

LOTR reference, btw. Arya destroyed Sauron the Night King and now she has to leave Middle Earth Westeros and sail west...

I will be surprised if we don't get that eventually, but Maisie Williams has said she's taking a break from acting so it may be a while, if it happens. But if it does happen it needs to either happen with her or they just don't do it. I'd hate to see her character re-cast.

35 minutes ago, Mercalius said:

The last hour of this episode felt like fan faction.  BAD fan fiction.  

Up until Dany's death it bordered on flat out amazing. Afterwards it was just checking boxes and a lot of fan service.

Starks win everything.

I'm happy enough. Not the ending or final season the whole run deserved, but the last three redeemed the first three a bit. Even with cliches and shortcuts. I think having Dany announce perpetual war and world domination and nobody gets a choice made her 'madness' pretty believable in the end.

5 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

It brings me to the biggest gripe I had with this season and last season. They just weren't long enough. More episodes would have given the stories more space to breath. And I just can't understand why they shortened them like they did. But whatever. What's done is done. And GOT is done.

That's my biggest lasting gripe as well. I think it forced a lot of the other issues with cliches and forced plot to come to the fore.

As symbolism goes, just to tie things together with the first season:

Ned was promised mercy for something he didn't do and was beheaded.

Jon was granted mercy for something he did do and left for the north.

A balancing of justice in Westeros.

They said it'd be bittersweet. They wasn't lyin.

1 minute ago, Jamalisms said:

Up until Dany's death it bordered on flat out amazing. Afterwards it was just checking boxes and a lot of fan service.

Starks win everything.

I'm happy enough. Not the ending or final season the whole run deserved, but the last three redeemed the first three a bit. Even with cliches and shortcuts. I think having Dany announce perpetual war and world domination and nobody gets a choice made her 'madness' pretty believable in the end.

I was totally on board until Dany died.  Up to that moment - no problem.  The second Grey Worm led Tyrion to the council it went off the rails totally and completely and was just like “uh hey....here are most of the important people” *throws darts* “sure, why not?”

Jon’s resurrection proved to ultimately lead to an assassination? 

Whats the importance of his heritage outside of being one of the (several) reasons used to justify said assassination?

Bran had no interest in ruling Winterfell yet is totally on board for being the king?

Tyrion went from executionee to Hand of the King in 30 seconds yet Jon MUST have some compromise of punishment.  

Bronn goes from ally to murderous enigma to Master of Coin because lolz whorehouse jokes.

Sansa declares her independence and that’s totally fine but everyone else must bend the knee, asserting Stark preferential treatment.  But..um, why must Jon fuck off again?   For the Ghost and Tormund feel gudz!

The Unsullied have two prisoners who’ve committed treason and basically directly overthrown their expectation of hierarchy.  Yet they just welcome the allies/friends of these usurpers and are willing to adhere to their decisions all while still maintaining some form of justice be served on one of the prisoners?

who cares about the dragon that just obliterated a city?  He’s not here so it’s chill.  Bran’s got this, supposedly.  

Bran, whose basically only real “good” deed being that he exposed Littlefinger as a shit head, made the NK more of a threat, and has been a useless, creepy ornament for half a decade is absolutely the best ruler Tyrion can think of!  I mean he did sit there all boring as Jon and Sansa inspired/rallied/schemed and ultimately led their houses to improbable victories several times.  It makes total sense why all the other Lords and leaders of their houses who’ve seen this would just get behind him like that.  

And Grey Worm?  He was seeking justice for Jon and Tyrion?  So convenient his justice was sailing off to mourn his booty call after executing surrendered prisoners when the new regime took over.  I’m sure he had tons of leverage to demand that Jon not be pardoned.  

But the mains got together and made silly jokes at the end!  And Jon gets to go back to Ghost!   Hooray!   

18 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Starks win everything.

The tone completely shifted after that moment. We really needed to see the immediate aftermath. 

15 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

That's my biggest lasting gripe as well. I think it forced a lot of the other issues with cliches and forced plot to come to the fore.

Yeah everything with the Dothraki and Unsullied tied up just a little bit too neatly for me.

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

There was one scene that was amazingly cinematic. Right before her Hitleresque conquer the world speech, Dany comes walking out of the remains of the Red Keep with Drogon directly behind her. He spreads his wings and it looks like Dany, in her black leather outfit, has truly become the dragon herself.

Probably the best/coolest scene in the episode. Was pretty cool

I enjoyed it, but don't disagree with anything @Mercalius just posted. They could easily solve Jon's problem by having him choose to go north of his own accord. I actually think he'd want to anyway. But they had to come up with some way to appease Grey Worm. Not sure why he's suddenly happy to bargain anyway.

I'm kinda annoyed Jon didn't become King, but he's probably so broken at this point.

Also, you didn't mentioned the Dothraki. They only listened to Dany. They'd probably be running wild in Westeros murdering and pillaging. Surprised we didn't even get a line in the small council about having to deal with them. Btw, I thought the council screen was great. A wonderful nod to where things started.

These are almost certainly the types of details GRRM will include...if he finishes.